Graphic Cards Please post your HD4670 temperature

satyanjoy said:
Hold your horse,

1. Increase the fan speed from default 20% to 50% using Catalyst driver, you need to adjust the fan speed as per your requirement.

2. Check your cabinet - Is it well ventilated ? Is it messed up with cables and lots of other devices like multiple devices.a good well ventilated cabinet will help you lowering the overall temperature of all your peripherals thus increasing their life and performance. You need at least two fan (120mm ) - one at front to suck cool air and one at rear to exhale the hot air.

3.check of dust - on the fans- clean your cabinet and fan weekly/monthly depending how dusty your place is.

good luck

I just bought the card last week but had to open my cabinet for ventilation although I had installed three fans (92mm at back, 80mm inward on CPU and 80 mm in front of GPU). CPU stays below 40*C (C2D E4600). Temperature at load still hovers around 80 degrees.

Do you recommend any GPU cooler?

baccilus said:
I just bought the card last week but had to open my cabinet for ventilation although I had installed three fans (92mm at back, 80mm inward on CPU and 80 mm in front of GPU). CPU stays below 40*C (C2D E4600). Temperature at load still hovers around 80 degrees.

Do you recommend any GPU cooler?

first try to increase the fan speed using catalyst control center. I never tried any after market cooler myself. I think Zalman VF1000 will do the job - but this will cost you around 3k apprx ,which will almost double the cost of your graphics card- not worth for such an entry level card, until n unless you are specifically looking for a quite htpc solution .For generic gaming I will recommend you to go for increasing the fan speed with catalyst control center - this may increase the noise level bit but will do the job.- you will not notice the noise while gaming (increase the fan speed before gaming or any other gpu related task like - video encoding etc.once it done change it back to default 20% for long normal computing task to keep the noise level down)

Yup, increasing the fan speed make lot of difference in temperatures, especially at load.

even my 4870 idles at 44 and max goes to 55c at 54% fan speed[default].

set it to some 60% and it wont go beyond 65c. try that.

satyanjoy said:
first try to increase the fan speed using catalyst control center. I never tried any after market cooler myself. I think Zalman VF1000 will do the job - but this will cost you around 3k apprx ,which will almost double the cost of your graphics card- not worth for such an entry level card, until n unless you are specifically looking for a quite htpc solution .For generic gaming I will recommend you to go for increasing the fan speed with catalyst control center - this may increase the noise level bit but will do the job.- you will not notice the noise while gaming (increase the fan speed before gaming or any other gpu related task like - video encoding etc.once it done change it back to default 20% for long normal computing task to keep the noise level down)

OK I will do that. But shouldn't the CCC do it automatically? Why do we have to do it manually?

baccilus said:
OK I will do that. But shouldn't the CCC do it automatically? Why do we have to do it manually?

good question - To Reduce the Cost (may be). Go to Catalyst CC>ATI Overdrive, enable the manual fan control and using the slider set the fan speed and enjoy your gaming

u can bring down the temps further by setting more fan speed.

find a value which is a good balance b/w temps and noise.

btw, it not to bring down the cost, but to maintain the noise threshold. Most people dun check temps, and are more concerned bout noise. Everyone likes a silent PC. ANd the manufacturers somehow feels that those temps are safe and and thinks its not a good move to set higher clocks on auto mod and make an impression "its a noisy card".

But they cud always use custom cooler with larger fan which will be better on cooling at even lower temps as even a slight increase in fan diameter makes a real improvement in the volume the fan pushes.

dOm1naTOr said:
u can bring down the temps further by setting more fan speed.
find a value which is a good balance b/w temps and noise.

btw, it not to bring down the cost, but to maintain the noise threshold. Most people dun check temps, and are more concerned bout noise. Everyone likes a silent PC. ANd the manufacturers somehow feels that those temps are safe and and thinks its not a good move to set higher clocks on auto mod and make an impression "its a noisy card".

But they cud always use custom cooler with larger fan which will be better on cooling at even lower temps as even a slight increase in fan diameter makes a real improvement in the volume the fan pushes.
I really don't care much about noise while I am gaming. Can I change some settings in CCC so that fan speed increases automatically?
BTW, what is the maximum fan speed I can use without damaging my card?

it wont damage the card, though rumours are it reduces the fan life span. No a big problem as i have heard fan goin dead as frequent as GPU goin dead.

working on higher temps reduces gpu life span and spinning on high speed for some years can reduce fan life span.

Setting it at around 70% seems perfectly safe while 90% above will be straining the fan too much. You can make the full use of the gpu by overclocking if you are already running the fan speed high, as at those speed GPU will run much cooler even after ocing.

Anyway nobody will be planning on using a card for more than 3~3.5yrs yrs, as it ll be outdated and will lag on games at that times.

i was using my old cad [7600GT] at 80% fan speed for almost 2 yrs and i sold it off and got an 8800GT which didnt need to be set higher fan speed as it already had a large fan and ran much much cooler than reference design. Never seen it above 52c.

use furmark bench to check max gpu temps on stock or on oc. You can find avg increase in performance after oc too using the same utility.

dOm1naTOr said:
it wont damage the card, though rumours are it reduces the fan life span. No a big problem as i have heard fan goin dead as frequent as GPU goin dead.
working on higher temps reduces gpu life span and spinning on high speed for some years can reduce fan life span.

Setting it at around 70% seems perfectly safe while 90% above will be straining the fan too much. You can make the full use of the gpu by overclocking if you are already running the fan speed high, as at those speed GPU will run much cooler even after ocing.
Anyway nobody will be planning on using a card for more than 3~3.5yrs yrs, as it ll be outdated and will lag on games at that times.

i was using my old cad [7600GT] at 80% fan speed for almost 2 yrs and i sold it off and got an 8800GT which didnt need to be set higher fan speed as it already had a large fan and ran much much cooler than reference design. Never seen it above 52c.

use furmark bench to check max gpu temps on stock or on oc. You can find avg increase in performance after oc too using the same utility.
I have no plans of keeping it for more than a year. I will do as you say. If I can bring the load temperature below 60 degrees, I will overclock it.
Can I replace the fan on GPU heat sink with a bigger fan or cooling system which is within 1k to 1.5 k. I will do that if it's possible to use the cooler on my subsequen upgrades.
BTW, thanks for the detailed explanation.

baccilus said:
I increased the fan speed to 51% and it has brought down the temperature to 65 degree C at load. Thanks you.

great ! 65 is pretty good temperature at load. Now you need not worry about temp issue any more. This card is not much of a overclocker. since you are not planning to keep this card more than a year I will not suggest you to go for a customer cooler for 1.5k.

-------

does installing a custom cooler in graphics card void warranty ??

-------

4.5k+1.5k=6k - you can get a much better card (4770,4850,9800gt) this price range which will give you superb performance for an 19" monitor

-------

post pics of ur card.. or give manufacturer's link..

might help

satyanjoy said:
does installing a custom cooler in graphics card void warranty ??

No if u dont tell them, n if u do it widout damaging the card and any stickers on it containing serial n product info.....

just put back the original cooler wen u wanna rma widout damaging the card n widout tampering any serial numbar/codes...

madnav said:
No if u dont tell them, n if u do it widout damaging the card and any stickers on it containing serial n product info.....

just put back the original cooler wen u wanna rma widout damaging the card n widout tampering any serial numbar/codes...

I see..so its a trick that we need to play with the vendor

Back