Storage Solutions Please recommend SATA 2 SSD drives

buBleZ

Skilled
Hi folks,
I have an Asus Rampage formula MB which has SATA 2 support. I am planning to upgrade to SSD with a capacity of 120GB.
Can you guys recommend me SATA 2 SSDs that I can buy?
Is it possible to buy a SATA 3 SSD controller and buy SATA 3 HDDs instead?
Can I do RAID by buying 2 60GB SSDs?

Please suggest me a appropriate configuration tuned for maximum performance. Oh my budget is between 10-13K.

Regards,
buBleZ.

I think you should go with two 64 GB SSD's and run them in RAID 0 that will give you really massive performance than a single 120 GB SSD.:)

Kingston SV100S2/64G for 5,264 from flipkart.com.

Well... you could get the Crucial C300 128 GB drive if you want. Or a nice old Intel X25-M 80/160 GB drive.

I would recommend against going with a separate controller. Too much added headache.

But that won't give the performance as what 2 SSDs in RAID 0 can they? If the price of 2 64GB SSDs is around a single 120GB SSD I would prefer the former.

Ok, so we can offer you the following options-:

Option 1- 2x64GB Kingston SSD= Rs. 5000x2=10000/-

Option 2- Intel 320 Series 120GB = Rs. 12000/-

Option 3- Intel 320 Series 40GB x3 = Rs. 4500x3 = 13500/-

Shipping extra.

How abt the Corsair Force 3 120GB SATA3 SSD?? Plus I hear the Corsair A.S.S is much better than others....... also the price is just arnd 10k than Intel's 12K.......

I am also looking to buy a SSD of 120GB....... preferring Corsair over OCZ cause of local warranty.......

panzer008 said:
How abt the Corsair Force 3 120GB SATA3 SSD?? Plus I hear the Corsair A.S.S is much better than others....... also the price is just arnd 10k than Intel's 12K.......

I am also looking to buy a SSD of 120GB....... preferring Corsair over OCZ cause of local warranty.......

I just bought 2 Corsair Force 3 120GB SATA3 SSDs for Rs.9800 each. But now price seems to have gone up again. It is Rs.1500 more in IT Depot now than when I ordered. Delta Peripherals seems to have run out of stock.

For the OP, I would recommend Kingston 64 GB x 2. If reliability is more important then avoid Raid 0. Kingston SSDs are not that reliable.

BikeAdvice said:
I just bought 2 Corsair Force 3 120GB SATA3 SSDs for Rs.9800 each. But now price seems to have gone up again. It is Rs.1500 more in IT Depot now than when I ordered. Delta Peripherals seems to have run out of stock.

For the OP, I would recommend Kingston 64 GB x 2. If reliability is more important then avoid Raid 0. Kingston SSDs are not that reliable.

did you buy them from the it depot.?

is that site reliable.?

i have heard lots of thing about that site that it is not good and all that stuff.:huh:

vaibhav1 said:
did you buy them from the it depot.?

is that site reliable.?

i have heard lots of thing about that site that it is not good and all that stuff.:huh:

I bought NZXT Gamma case from them before. They pack products well and their CC is good. I go with a single contact person for each purchase than calling "the company" for support.

When buying branded products, it does not matter who you buy it from, right?

BikeAdvice said:
I bought NZXT Gamma case from them before. They pack products well and their CC is good. I go with a single contact person for each purchase than calling "the company" for support.

When buying branded products, it does not matter who you buy it from, right?

I think reputation does matter.:cool2:

How about 2 OCZ vertex 2 in RAID?

Keeping Kingston 64gbs in mind. Will there be any problem in implementing a RAID in my MB with IC9HR?

yes dude ocz's are always better than kingston and expensive too i guess so, and i don't think there should be a problem while implementing a RAID in your MB, may i know why are you even asking this?

^^ I am thinking of an issue because my mobo also has a J-micron controller which seems to be hindering SSD RAID from the info available on net?

In OCZ what's the difference between agility and vertex series?

KiD0M4N said:
Well... you could get the Crucial C300 128 GB drive if you want. Or a nice old Intel X25-M 80/160 GB drive.

I would recommend against going with a separate controller. Too much added headache.

Both the options seems way outta my budget.

So....... which one did u buy???? 120GB or 60+60GB???

If still to buy then I would suggest going for Corsair Force 3 120GB...... its SATA 3 but SATA 2 compatible..... so kinda future proof and local warranty......

Or go for Kingston for a 64+64GB RAID config.......

buBleZ said:
^^ I am thinking of an issue because my mobo also has a J-micron controller which seems to be hindering SSD RAID from the info available on net?

In OCZ what's the difference between agility and vertex series?

Both the options seems way outta my budget.

Vertex series are better than Agility series and Agility series are one of the best. for bench marks go to anandtech.com

I bought a Intel 320 series 120GB from Amazon as Intel provides international warranty on SSDs. ~190$ + shipping through SnS.

Back