Pogoplug Pro - $29.95 - Approx. 2.75k shipped - Low power download box etc

^ Request for a quote here -- Welcome To Shop Abroad Online

From their FAQ

Q: What if the item is broken in transit?

A: All shipments via our express carriers are insured with a declared value of up to $100. If the declared value is more than $100, you may request additional insurance. Additional insurance charges at therate of 2% of the item puchase price.

But generally I have never faced any problem with ICC, local delivery is mostly done by BlueDart.

^ Yes it should work. Since it has only one ethernet port, you will probably need to get a cheap switch so that you can connect the Pogoplug and your other devices.

whoa whoa wait what you mean other devices? i mean i have gotta external HD and iam gonna get this device i have a modem so all i need to do now is configure the device to download torrent when my computer is switched off rite?

ps iam on the verge of placing an order now :p thats why iam asking

^ :p You need internet on both your PC and the Pogoplug right? So both these device need to be connected to the ADSL Modem/Router and since it has only one ethernet port, you will need to get a switch to connect both.

The pogoplug has to be connected to the ADSL router directly else it will defeat the whole purpose of getting the device as the PC will need to be switched on for the device to operate.

Got it placing the order now :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

placed the order gave my bros shipping address will be getting it by this jan thanks for the offer

got it for 1670rs :D

was thinking about getting a n13U but this seems like a far better option

varkey said:
^ ArchLinux load? Can you be a bit more clear! :)

Is the proc good enough to run multiple apps on arch linux , heavy read/write ? It does not reboots in case there is heavy load

@ubergeek

Would it be possible to place a order for me too ?

^^ :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The Pogoplug Pro will make an excellent low cost, low power download system. It is similar to the Seagate Dockstar but uses a different hardware. It also comes with Wifi and an internal SATA port.

dinjo said:
Is the proc good enough to run multiple apps on arch linux , heavy read/write ? It does not reboots in case there is

heavy load

Yes, it's a 700 Mhz Dual Core processor, can handle decent enough load. What are you planning to use it for? For torrent & http downloads, network storage box etc it will be more than sufficient. You can also make it a 3G gateway if you want. My Dockstar is doing all this without a sweat! :)

dinjo said:
@ubergeek

Would it be possible to place a order for me too ?

vivek.krishnan said:
Can anyone place an order for me?

You can order directly through ICC World right? They will purchase it for you from the site.
JT_daniel said:
Apologies for my stark ignorance, but why don't you guys download using the computer? :huh:

Well, there are many reasons ;)

1. Low power - These devices barely use 8-10w even with a hard disk connected. A full PC will use atleast 10 times that.

2. Its cheap

3. Can be used for different purposes. A network storage box, 3G Gateway, Asterisk Server and many more

4. Convenience - Just queue the downloads, schedule the download times and forget about it

etc etc

I am planning to get this but want to clear some doubts:

My current setup:

A laptop, Android phone and HP Touchpad. Planning to get Internet enabled LED TV in sometime. As of now, I download the movies/songs to my Laptop first( on 3.0 USB HDD), then I convert according to the device playing capability and then transfer the file to the device:)ashamed:). I have wifi at home with unlimited downloads with 1 mbps speed.

Now as far as I understood, I can use this pogoplug to download the content and then can stream it to my devices, here are my doubts:

1. Can I stream over wifi to my devices without converting the file format? Touchpad is running webos as of now.

2. Will there be any lag in streaming if I would be seeing any HD movies?

3. Will it be able to support simultaneous streaming to multiple devices without any lag?

4. Do I need to get new router to fully optimize utilization of Pogoplug ?(currently I have Netgear WGR 614)

5. Can I access my documents outside my home Wifi?

6. Can the console be accessed from outside my home Wifi network?

7. Can I use it as a backup place for some contect of my PC and other devices?

Pretty long list of doubts :ashamed: but will be very helpful for me.
Awaiting your reply :)

If your device lets you access an NFS or Samba share then yes you can access the files over the network. So playing on the laptop or a desktop is perfectly fine. Also if the TV enables you to connect to a network and plays the files as it is, then TV also is fine.

But the Android Phone and the HP Touchpad will be able to support only limited formats or won't have the hardware to play full HD files etc.

1. It depends on your end device, if it supports opening the source format, then yes you can play it over the network.

2. Depends on how you are accessing it. Wired - No, Wireless - Maybe. The bottleneck here is not the Pogoplug but the wireless connection.

3. Yes. But on wifi maybe not depending on the type of files

4. A Gigabit router will be good

5. Well, the original Pogoplug's purpose is just that, but to run it as a download system we will be disabling that and installing a different OS. But you still can setup something to access your files from outside your network.

6. Yes, you just need to setup the necessary port forwards and dynamic dns if required etc

7. Yes, you could do that as well.

Basically its just like a mini-computer so you can do pretty much everything within the limited RAM, Processor etc

Back