Poll on Nokia N8

Having used almost all 'Flagship' models coming from the Nokia stables...... I'll surely give the N8 a Pass.....

:mad:

i might buy this phone for my uncle who needs a good camera phone . i wont buy a symbian phone anytime soon after having used a spica. but with usbonthego ,12M camera this phone is too good to resist at 22-23K price.

@faraz : you should have read the forums . this is android year but we should still PRAY for the success of symbian else

android will be the new windows

windows mobile will be the new linux

symbian will be the dos

and apple ios will have a position like mac os

monopoly is bad for us , at least 2 mobile OS should succeed like android

saw the phone at a nokia priorit shop in Mumbai .. few shops now have it on display ... @druvrock2000 .. its ok not that bad.. the UI is smooth .. the nokia gallery owner told me its 25000 to 26k.. i guess grey market may be cheaper .. but stlll symbian is not my cup of tea...after u use android and ios its tough to go back to a symbian ... its jsut too confusing for me now . will buy it for a while as it would be 20k in the grey market for sure .. thats not a bad price for a smartphone

dhruvrock2000 said:
This is NOT the same Symbian guys... brand new OS.
How does that matter ??.We all including Nokia themself know Symbian is dying ,they are trying hard implementing new UI with same old OS.They need to come out with Meego phones fast else Nokia will loose its share .

dhruvrock2000 said:
This is NOT the same Symbian guys... brand new OS.
It IS Symbian. I tested it yesterday.

Home screen : similar to N97's (with widgets).

Menu, messaging, web : pure S60v5.

Music, camera, video: new apps.

In short, it has S60v5 written all over it's face. anyways, here is what I think about this phone.

Build quality: top notch. phone looks stunning and feels solid in hand. The curved design look really beautiful

Display: AMOLED display, well, like on most phones, it's awesome.

UI: Majority of the UI is still S60v5 and is still outdated. I have noticed lag while going through menus, opening apps like messaging, web. (nothing irritating though). Given that the menu structure is completely Symbian's classic UI, it's very boring and unintuitive.

Music: music app is awesome. the coverflow is very fast and fluid. There is no log here. Music quality is awesome and the output through stereo speakers is loud.

Video: This phone is among the best when it comes to Video playback. Videos open instantly and when you forward the video by tapping at timeline, the video moves instantly. There may be a wait of 1sec or less but it's just super fast.

Games: haven't tried this

Camera: I don't have to explain this one. It does lives up to expectations.

Web: the default web app is disappointing. I would suggest opera over the default app

Messaging: not much change here. Threaded messaging is brought in. Nokia should've brought in Maemo style messaging centre.

Email: The email app looks ugly and bit crowded. It looks really shoddy next to HTC's Sense Email app.

Onscreen keypad: same old one similar to the one found on earlier symbian touch phones. Would've liked to see better design or atleast swype builtin.

appswitching: the multitasking is good. hold the home button for few seconds to bring out appswitch panel showing running apps in square shaped boxes. Looks totally ugly but switching is very fast (as expected)

^ @desiibond, thanks for the details. From your observations, would it be safe to assume a thumbsup for this model since you haven't explicitly mentioned any major disappointments except the email, browser and onscreen keypad, the first two being replaceable by third party apps? Also, when you say email UI, are you talking about the Nokia Messaging UI?

agantuk said:
^ @desiibond, thanks for the details. From your observations, would it be safe to assume a thumbsup for this model since you haven't explicitly mentioned any major disappointments except the email, browser and onscreen keypad, the first two being replaceable by third party apps? Also, when you say email UI, are you talking about the Nokia Messaging UI?
yes. no major disappointments. it's a classic symbian OS with better apps. Do note that I was not comparing this phone with any other phone. and yes, i mean nokia messaging app.

If you want the best Nokia phone, the new E7 and N8 would be default picks. Also, it felt like there are no bugs in OS (when compared to first batch of 5800XM).

I would not compare the phone with SGS or competition yet. Personally, I would pick SGS over this phone unless I am after camera and HD-output.

hA1d3R said:
@faraz : you should have read the forums . this is android year but we should still PRAY for the success of symbian else

android will be the new windows
windows mobile will be the new linux
symbian will be the dos

and apple ios will have a position like mac os

monopoly is bad for us , at least 2 mobile OS should succeed like android
Well think of it like this
I was a BIG nokia fan before i got the X6.
Now i am not :p
Next time onwards i will do some research before buying :ashamed:

Umm... i said not the SAME symbian. Its been rewritten from scratch.

desiibond said:
It IS Symbian. I tested it yesterday.

Home screen : similar to N97's (with widgets).
Menu, messaging, web : pure S60v5.
Music, camera, video: new apps.

In short, it has S60v5 written all over it's face. anyways, here is what I think about this phone.

Build quality: top notch. phone looks stunning and feels solid in hand. The curved design look really beautiful
Display: AMOLED display, well, like on most phones, it's awesome.
UI: Majority of the UI is still S60v5 and is still outdated. I have noticed lag while going through menus, opening apps like messaging, web. (nothing irritating though). Given that the menu structure is completely Symbian's classic UI, it's very boring and unintuitive.
Music: music app is awesome. the coverflow is very fast and fluid. There is no log here. Music quality is awesome and the output through stereo speakers is loud.
Video: This phone is among the best when it comes to Video playback. Videos open instantly and when you forward the video by tapping at timeline, the video moves instantly. There may be a wait of 1sec or less but it's just super fast.
Games: haven't tried this
Camera: I don't have to explain this one. It does lives up to expectations.
Web: the default web app is disappointing. I would suggest opera over the default app
Messaging: not much change here. Threaded messaging is brought in. Nokia should've brought in Maemo style messaging centre.
Email: The email app looks ugly and bit crowded. It looks really shoddy next to HTC's Sense Email app.
Onscreen keypad: same old one similar to the one found on earlier symbian touch phones. Would've liked to see better design or atleast swype builtin.
appswitching: the multitasking is good. hold the home button for few seconds to bring out appswitch panel showing running apps in square shaped boxes. Looks totally ugly but switching is very fast (as expected)

I think Nokia has taken a short sighted approach and crippled it in a number of ways

1. Processor : A 680 MHz processor is definitely not good enough for a flagship phone in 2010. Atleast, if it was based on the A8 architecture (like what was used in the N900), it would have been acceptable.

2. RAM: 256 MB of RAM? Come on, that is what the budget phones have now. They should have gone for 512 MB atleast

3. Screen: the world is moving to WVGA and retina display, why stick to nHD resolution?

The fact is that these specs will not affect you right now. But in a year's time, the phone will be totally out of date. Nokia themselves will stop issuing updates to the firmware as they switch their focus to Symbian^4 and Meego. So, why should a discerning user go for this phone?

Back