Budget 90k+ Powerful PC with Ryzen 9 + MB, 128 GB RAM, 4 TB NVMe, CPU, Cooler, PSU, UPS

Any reason why you insist on a Ryzen 9 build instead of a ThreadRipper?
Honestly, I never really explored the ThreadRipper option seriously. Maybe because if I have to go to the higher category then the Ryzen 9, then I would just go with AMD EYPC category itself, because I am totally fine with the server hardware, I do not have to confide myself with the desktop category only. Have you practically tried ThreadRipper CPU's and how would they compare with the EPYC category, when we look at the price versus performance aspects of both of them?

Thank you.
The general consensus seems to be that consumer SSDs are worse when it comes down to sustained loads. I've never owned an enterprise SSD so I can't comment on this but I'm going to switch to a couple of P4510 or similar soon.

Thank you @-NaniBot- for bringing this up. I wasn't aware about this earlier. I just thought that I can just totally relax after buying drives like the Kingston KC3000 M.2 NVMe Gen4 PCIe4 SSD and the Samsung 990 Pro SSD and that they would perform fairly well, even while the workload involves heavy amount of data read and write operations.

That is true, I just swap out drives after they've failed. I'm running some drives at over 250% wearout. I'm able to do this because I rely on ansible and backups to bring back a node quickly with a fresh drive after an unrecoverable failure.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Silicon Power A55 are the oldest drives I have that still haven't died as of today. SN570's and Kioxia's and 970 Evo's all came and went but these dinky 120GB units are still operational, ha. I bought a ten pack for 11K during lockdown from a local shop without bill/warranty and one was DOA, and I sold one to someone here, but all others are still operational.

Enterprise drives would be really nice, older 1.6TB Intel drives can be had for under 6K but these days I usually only buy parts on EMI, which is difficult on OLX.
Wow, you have extensive experience in dealing with multiple types of drives. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

And do you guys have any recommendations for the consumer grade NVME SSD, which would give me really good performance at reasonable price for the 4 TB sticks? Should I go with just these KC3000 and 990 Pro only, or if there are any better options available out there?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
The general consensus seems to be that consumer SSDs are worse when it comes down to sustained loads. I've never owned an enterprise SSD so I can't comment on this but I'm going to switch to a couple of P4510 or similar soon.
Enterprise ssd are rated that because of higher IPOS & write endurance not because of sustained speeds which may be similar or a bit more than good dram NVMe ssd but never significantly faster.

SSDKC3000 SSD 2TB
Get aftermarket heatsink for the NVMe too, will only cost a few hundred rupees.

Please do tag anyone who could help in this. Thanks a lot.

I can try, but what you get in used market is not going to be efficient at all, and is usually like 3rd hand in a sort of way. This is mainly because we usually dont do so much hardware refreshes as other countries/corps (and now they are also coming to the same line of thought) and whats usually dumped is already practically junk in terms of power consumption.
Second hand EPYC CPU are priced like crazy in the Indian markets. But you can buy them on ebay from confirmed and reliable Chinese vendors at very economical prices.

Almost all last gen stuff is expensive in India. CPUs, specifically, you must import via ebay or AE route only. Good mobos are also in short supply, I tried with contacts at Supermicro/netweb etc for @apurva512 but to no avail

I can try, but what you get in used market is not going to be efficient at all, and is usually like 3rd hand in a sort of way. This is mainly because we usually dont do so much hardware refreshes as other countries/corps (and now they are also coming to the same line of thought) and whats usually dumped is already practically junk in terms of power consumption.

Almost all last gen stuff is expensive in India. CPUs, specifically, you must import via ebay or AE route only. Good mobos are also in short supply, I tried with contacts at Supermicro/netweb etc for @apurva512 but to no avail

Thank you so much for sharing your inputs.
When you were searching for the components for @apurva512 , were those for this particular requirement - https://techenclave.com/threads/workstation-build.217237/

Do you have any updates, if he was able to build that configuration successfully or not?

Thank you.

Hey, sorry for the delay in reverting, just had a crazy month and a half or so at work combined with multiple visitors at home. Unfortunately have not been able to build my rig yet. The only addition I have made is getting an air cooler(noctua) and a thunderbolt 4 pcie addin card. I have basically decided which motherboard to get, but that is something I will need to buy in the US and ship here via a forwarding service. Massive shortage of available motherboards here for some reason. Anyways, let me know what I can help with, and will definitely answer any questions I can. But very excited to hear someone else is also trying to build a similar rig.

Hey, sorry for the delay in reverting, just had a crazy month and a half or so at work combined with multiple visitors at home. Unfortunately have not been able to build my rig yet. The only addition I have made is getting an air cooler(noctua) and a thunderbolt 4 pcie addin card. I have basically decided which motherboard to get, but that is something I will need to buy in the US and ship here via a forwarding service. Massive shortage of available motherboards here for some reason. Anyways, let me know what I can help with, and will definitely answer any questions I can. But very excited to hear someone else is also trying to build a similar rig.

Hello Apurva. Thanks for sharing the updates regarding your EPYC configuration progress.

I will keep you updated as I make progress in this direction. I hope you are also able to complete your rig in the coming months.

Since I was not able to find the second hand nVidia Quadro GPU as suggested in the previous posts here - https://techenclave.com/threads/pow...-nvme-cpu-cooler-psu-ups.218850/#post-2513081

And since my user case involves -
absolutely zero video gaming and zero movies watching etc. on these monitors, therefor the high end GPU do not make any sense at all in my particular case.

All I need from these GPU is that they should be able to support 4 monitors at a time, each having 4K UHD 3840 by 2160 pixels resolution. And I can watch stock market charts on all of them, at same time, without any issues. That's it.

therefor I was wondering if any of these 3 GPU being sold by @rockyo27 at this thread, makes sense for my requirement or not - https://techenclave.com/threads/1-1660-super-colorful-2-msi-gpu-with-box-good-condition.219153/

I would appreciate any views about this GPU buying decision.

Thank you.

Since I was not able to find the second hand nVidia Quadro GPU
There is one listed on Gameloot -
I don't know if that is appropriate pricing and with them YMMV. Personally my experience has been fine; their customer service is responsive.
Or try checking with @aasimenator, if he can help source one for you.

There is one listed on Gameloot -
I don't know if that is appropriate pricing and with them YMMV. Personally my experience has been fine; their customer service is responsive.
Or try checking with @aasimenator, if he can help source one for you.
Thank you so much for your suggestions @ibose

Actually I already contacted aasimenator, but his Quadro GPU is already sold to @rsaeon I guess.

Thank you so much for your suggestions @ibose

Actually I already contacted aasimenator, but his Quadro GPU is already sold to @rsaeon I guess.
It does seem quadros are hard to find and prices are here and there but these do seem to be good for 4*4k displays from a card and work without any external power.
For 1660 super i just found that one will have to use only the hdmi or display ports to get 4k resolution on all screens as with DP and hdmi both used resolution seems to get to max of 2k on all. Found it on a forum. And multiple DP ports are there on these cards with single hdmi.

Whatever the number of monitors you plan to run, two of them can run on the iGPU of AMD 7000 series processors at 4k 60 Hz. As per AMD the chip can run 4, but typical motherboards host 2 ports capable of this : an HDMI and a DisplayPort.

In case this reduces your GPU worries.

I would appreciate any views about this GPU buying decision.

There's a special ASUS version of the GT710 that has 4 HDMI ports, Google Shopping shows a price spread of 5k to 11k for it.

It's been sitting on my desk ever since I received it, I don't think I'll be able to use it in the next few months. I could make a FS thread if you want it, but it doesn't have a PCI bracket.

@alpha5555 I just saw a post on a whatsapp group for p620 2gb gddr5 card with mini DP ports and one original mini Dp to dp cable....that seller is asking 4k for it.
I don't know if it will work as per your requirements
Thank you so much rocky for sharing this information. Unfortunately I also don't have much knowledge about GPU so not sure if that's suitable for my requirements.

If some knowledgeable member here confirms that it will work without any issues, then I am willing to buy the GPU from rsaeon or from the WhatsApp group that you mentioned. Let's see.

Thanks a lot.

Thank you so much rocky for sharing this information. Unfortunately I also don't have much knowledge about GPU so not sure if that's suitable for my requirements.

If some knowledgeable member here confirms that it will work without any issues, then I am willing to buy the GPU from rsaeon or from the WhatsApp group that you mentioned. Let's see.

Thanks a lot.
P620 with 4x MiniDP ports and original miniDP to DP adapter cables would be perfect for the use case.

Only one cable adapter cable would be a bit of a bummer tho... If all are available that'd be super cool. Else, 4k compatible adapters need to be bought

Thanks a lot.
If you're okay with 60Hz , it can do the following
Display Resolution 4x 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz

If you need a higher refresh rate , something like an A2000 will work.

Attachments

• nvidia-rtx-a2000-datasheet.pdf
    880.4 KB · Views: 19
  • quadro-pascal-p620-data-sheet-593981-us-nv-r3-web.pdf
    242.4 KB · Views: 10
Whatever the number of monitors you plan to run, two of them can run on the iGPU of AMD 7000 series processors at 4k 60 Hz. As per AMD the chip can run 4, but typical motherboards host 2 ports capable of this : an HDMI and a DisplayPort.

In case this reduces your GPU worries.
Thank you Kiran for mentioning this point. Yes my Asus B650E-F Motherboard has also got a HDMI and Display port inbuilt.
If you're okay with 60Hz , it can do the following
Display Resolution 4x 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz

If you need a higher refresh rate , something like an A2000 will work.
Thank you so much for sharing these PDF files with the details. Seems like both the GPU are capable of running four monitors of 4K at 60Hz which is sufficient for me, as I don't need higher refresh rates.

@Psycho_McCrazy bro, if you have to choose a GPU from Quadro or this P620, then which one would you prefer?

The Quadro GPU also have additional benefit of not doing too much extra power consumption as well.
P620 with 4x MiniDP ports and original miniDP to DP adapter cables would be perfect for the use case.

Only one cable adapter cable would be a bit of a bummer tho... If all are available that'd be super cool. Else, 4k compatible adapters need to be bought.

Last edited:
@Psycho_McCrazy bro, if you have to choose a GPU from Quadro or this P620, then which one would you prefer?

The Quadro GPU also have additional benefit of not doing too much extra power consumption as well.
I understand that the above "choose a GPU from Quadro or this P620" means choosing between the Quadro Card with rsaeon and the P620

Both are actually Quadro Cards.
I am not aware of the exact model of the Quadro card with rsaeon, but the P620 is a 40W Peak card, so it will be pretty good in terms of energy efficiency.
If the card with rsaeon is with full size DP ports, sourcing cables will be an easier job!

The lack of PCI bracket in rsaeon's card does mean some plastic sheet fabrication may be necessary to support it properly in the slot so that it can handle all 4 populated cables (significant weight/force can be applied by these cables.

Back