PrimeABGB - have I been cheated?

UPDATE: After I linked this thread in my mail to sales@primeabgb.com last night, THINGS MOVED PRETTY QUICKLY. I got a call from PrimeABGB and they said they are arranging for a pickup.

Thank you everyone who responded! :happy: Will report back once I get the replacement.
This is awesome, Te to the rescue but really ridiculous from Primeabgbs side. Reminds me of the usual twitter thing where unless you troll, shame and badmouth you are unheard!
Really shameful prime...you surely will lose customers if you are reading this me being one of your prime 20yr old customer!
And this is why we should buy from Amazon as much as we can. Their 10 day replacement policy is God sent. Even if they charge a slight premium over these sites. Also, in Bangalore, SP road is a much better option. Use primeabgb only if you are in Mumbai, itdepot only if you are in Chennai, mdcomputers if you are in Kolkata etc.
Have heard very weird stories on amazon that drive wasnt packed properly but some lame packing and then doa hassles etc.
Always buy esp. hdds from primeabgb, itdepot, mdcomputers etc. only if you reside in that city or in nearby city within few hrs of drive so you can get hold of their nonsense biz when required..

the irony of mechanical HDD in india is that they are the most sensitive to the shock and g-forces and those are sold in static plastic bags where`s the logic ?

TE is the real MVP! My experience with Primeabgb has been positive as well. Glad they took the right road and are helping you out with a replacement. :)

Hello everyone. An update: There was absolutely no follow up from PrimeABGB after the pick up on Feb 6th. I emailed them on Feb 11th and they replied saying they haven't received my DOA hard disk.

I emailed them again on Feb 17th for which they said they will be shipping the replacement hard disk. I did not get any tracking number for the same, but I received the courier on Feb 20th. The replacement hard disk was not a sealed piece!

Overall, it has been a terrible experience with them and I will be leaving them a bad review on Google as well.

I have replaced hard drives directly from Western Digital\Seagate service centers on several occasions and sometimes they did give me an open replacement. And one time they gave me a 3TB drive instead of my old damaged 2TB drive. So you shouldn't worry about it as long as it functions well. Use HD Tune program to see if the drive is without any errors and you're set.

Hello everyone. An update: There was absolutely no follow up from PrimeABGB after the pick up on Feb 6th. I emailed them on Feb 11th and they replied saying they haven't received my DOA hard disk.

I emailed them again on Feb 17th for which they said they will be shipping the replacement hard disk. I did not get any tracking number for the same, but I received the courier on Feb 20th. The replacement hard disk was not a sealed piece!

Overall, it has been a terrible experience with them and I will be leaving them a bad review on Google as well.

That sucks dude. I was really considering getting a 12TB Exos to replace my 4TB + 2 TB + 2TB setup on my desktop. But I ultimately ended up ordering another 4TB Barracuda from Amazon since it was the highest capacity that was AmazonPrime delivered.

Seems like PrimeABGB have also increased the price of the 12TB to 28k? IIRC it was around 21-22k when this thread was created.

They also have this disclaimer on the item page, not sure if this was there earlier.
Free Pick up & Drop Facility From PrimeABGB.com For Warranty Claim

I personally trust on multiple 4-6 TB drive instead of 12-20TB ones. I even maintain partitions a lot. Just a little paranoid of losing data if an entire 12TB drive fails. :(

I personally trust on multiple 4-6 TB drive instead of 12-20TB ones. I even maintain partitions a lot. Just a little paranoid of losing data if an entire 12TB drive fails. :(

Yeah, I mean for me the idea was to get started with the 8/ 12 TB as standards. Gradually replace my old drives so that 8 TB/ 12 TB ones are standard, just as how 2/ 4 TB ones are now.

I'm using this funda since decades now... Have 6 hdds running on my rig instead of the usual 1 or 2 in todays world.
Very much satisfied that data is scattered across several disks.
Cannot even think of putting all data in a single 4/8/12tb and losing all in one go!

I have replaced hard drives directly from Western Digital\Seagate service centers on several occasions and sometimes they did give me an open replacement. And one time they gave me a 3TB drive instead of my old damaged 2TB drive. So you shouldn't worry about it as long as it functions well. Use HD Tune program to see if the drive is without any errors and you're set.

Makes sense when you replace a used drive. This was a new drive, which did not even spin up once.

That sucks dude. I was really considering getting a 12TB Exos to replace my 4TB + 2 TB + 2TB setup on my desktop. But I ultimately ended up ordering another 4TB Barracuda from Amazon since it was the highest capacity that was AmazonPrime delivered.

Seems like PrimeABGB have also increased the price of the 12TB to 28k? IIRC it was around 21-22k when this thread was created.

They also have this disclaimer on the item page, not sure if this was there earlier.

Yea, I paid 23.3k. In fact, the price difference between the 10 TB and 12 TB was just around 2k, and that is why I went for the 12 TB.

The 12 TB is my back up disk. My primary data is already spread out on smaller disks.

Sorry for a bit offtopic, but since we are talking about Hard drives I thought I could get a quick feedback.
Are WD drives good, especially their Blue series. I was thinking of getting a 2tb from Prime and now this happened. While I do stay in Mumbai, Still find it hard to believe that Prime would stoop to such levels.

Last edited:
Sorry for a bit offtopic, but since we are talking about Hard drives I thought I could get a quick feedback.
Are WD drives good, especially their Blue series. I was thinking of getting a 2tb from Prime and now this happened. While I do stay in Mumbai, Still find it hard to believe that Prime would stoop to such levels.
I have had good experience with WD drives. But people have had troubles with both WD and Seagate. It all depends on your use case. If you prevent frequent start stops, maintain hard disks at constant temperature and avoid vibrations, most hard drives will last many years

I already have a 2Tb drive from Toshiba and want a spare drive as a back up. I will be using it as an external backup drive.
While I do agree that with reduced pricing, the reliability has also taken a hit.
Earlier drives from Maxtor, Seagate worked like charm, no issues whatsoever. Can't say that with today's drive.

Just avoid these drives:

2JxXdyG.png

SMR drives are also okay but they are better for archiving purposes. Save and forget type and only read data as a library when needed.
For constant read\write operation CMR is preferred.

I already have a 2Tb drive from Toshiba and want a spare drive as a back up. I will be using it as an external backup drive.
While I do agree that with reduced pricing, the reliability has also taken a hit.
Earlier drives from Maxtor, Seagate worked like charm, no issues whatsoever. Can't say that with today's drive.
I have 2 wd blue drives and running rock solid.
One 320gb was purchsed here only 10yrs ago & still going strong..
Just avoid these drives:
Can you elaborate as to why to avoid them?

Damm.. that SMR issue totally slipped out of mind. :banghead:
Since the one on Prime is WD20EZAZ, I guess I should stick to Toshiba.
I have 2 wd blue drives and running rock solid.
One 320gb was purchsed here only 10yrs ago & still going strong..
Yup, drives a decade ago were rock solid. Even my 320 gb Seagate brought in 2008 is going good. But in the last decade, I lost 4 drives all seagate, so their mere mention makes my spine shiver.
Can you elaborate as to why to avoid them?
I think he meant due to their SMR controversy. Reliability would be an issue under constant operation.

Back