Problem with PAN and Aadhar

Mike Messiah

Disciple
Didnt know where else to ask questions regarding this issue so i just posted here.
As you can see, my PAN and Aadhar is not linked. Reason being cited that name is not matching. I know my name is hotch potch to govt. officials but i am sure upper case and lower case differences (not my fault) shouldnt confuse the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not visit any local aadhar/pan center and et it done from there?
Might cost just 100 bucks.
Sometimes the issue doesn't appear tricky but something else might be the cause which isn't always disclosed online/self-portal.
This is when these center come into play.

raise a ticket On IT first or contact their support team and try to understand the issue or get an appointment with some officer .In Aadhar you will be running circles and there would be zero solution basically IT are pulling data from aadhar so IT would be able to tell you

I had somewhat similar issue, but I did way early and didn't pose any problem back then.

I am guessing this could be your problem, but not sure. In pan card, surname becomes last name and is at the end of your name. In Aadhaar, surname is surname, and is at the beginning of your name. Your name might be messed up in those first name, last name, surname fields. So, pan and aadhaar mismatch happens this way for many users. I might be wrong, but still check if this is the issue.

Why not visit any local aadhar/pan center and et it done from there?
Might cost just 100 bucks.
Sometimes the issue doesn't appear tricky but something else might be the cause which isn't always disclosed online/self-portal.
This is when these center come into play.
yEAH I guess thats my last resort

upper case and lower case differences
Names in my Aadhaar & PAN are in different cases as well. So not sure if that is really the issue.

I had somewhat similar issue, but I did way early and didn't pose any problem back then.

I am guessing this could be your problem, but not sure. In pan card, surname becomes last name and is at the end of your name. In Aadhaar, surname is surname, and is at the beginning of your name. Your name might be messed up in those first name, last name, surname fields. So, pan and aadhaar mismatch happens this way for many users. I might be wrong, but still check if this is the issue.
Perhaps this. Also, check for ' i ' ' L ' misplacement - Capital ' i ' and small ' L ' look the same. The person who entered the data could have made a mistake.

Didnt know where else to ask questions regarding this issue so i just posted here.
As you can see, my PAN and Aadhar is not linked. Reason being cited that name is not matching. I know my name is hotch potch to govt. officials but i am sure upper case and lower case differences (not my fault) shouldnt confuse the computer.

View attachment 179397
Seeing this post made me feel uneasy. That QR Code is just out there for anybody to scan and retrieve your personal info. Wait, you didn't even censor your identity. Please remove that pic.
Sorry if I am being over-paranoid but there is no reason to post them publicly.
Mods please remove my text if it's unnecessary.

Naming cases doesn't affect as my families pan is all caps while aadhar is the usual first letters caps then small.

The issue does not seem to be any name mismatch.
As the PAN AADHAAR linking deadline is over it now requires paying Rs 1000 penalty first.
The PAN might have become inoperative and hence will not link with aadhaar before paying penalty.
Go through the below article process to first verify pan status and then how to activate inactive pan by paying the fine.

The printed name on the PAN card can be different from the actual name in the PAN database. Your first name and last name fields are probably swapped. As easy way to check this is to see how your name is reported in the Income Tax portal.

I have this problem as well. My PAN and Aadhar were linked long ago so such checks may not have been enforced at the time. I did not notice this until recently when I had to do a online KYC for something and it failed because my PAN and Aadhaar name did not match. I had to get it done manually. I will have to get this corrected at some point though.

Guys, i have a feeling my PAN card is fake. I made it back when i was in college (10+ yrs ago) in a small shady shop. I spent like 150 rupees i think. Is there a website where i can check if my PAN card is legity

Guys, i have a feeling my PAN card is fake. I made it back when i was in college (10+ yrs ago) in a small shady shop. I spent like 150 rupees i think. Is there a website where i can check if my PAN card is legity
Had a name mismatch issue due to middle name for one of my family members. Updated name in Aadhar as per PAN. It is possible to do the other way round as well. Takes 50 bucks to do it online and new card is delivered at home.

The printed name on the PAN card can be different from the actual name in the PAN database. Your first name and last name fields are probably swapped. As easy way to check this is to see how your name is reported in the Income Tax portal.

I have this problem as well. My PAN and Aadhar were linked long ago so such checks may not have been enforced at the time. I did not notice this until recently when I had to do a online KYC for something and it failed because my PAN and Aadhaar name did not match. I had to get it done manually. I will have to get this corrected at some point though.
The name on my older PAN was Mikael L Chuaungo
So i changed it to Mikael Lallawmtluanga Chuaungo, to match with my aadhar card.
Could it be that the database still detects the original name (with the initial L)

So i changed it to Mikael Lallawmtluanga Chuaungo, to match with my aadhar card.
Could it be that the database still detects the original name (with the initial L)
Once change is made, database is updated with new name only.

Anyway, once this issue is fixed, let us know how your name is pronounced :p

Okay looks like I did not explain properly. When you get a PAN card, there are two names,

1. Full name which is stored in the PAN database
2. The printed name which is on your PAN card.

Both need not be the same

When you try to link Aadhaar and PAN, it compares the name in the PAN database to the name in you Aadhaar. So both of these need to match exactly.

Login to the Income Tax Portal and under "My profile", there will be an option to fetch and compare your PAN and Aadhaar details. You will see something like this

1696501839994.png

In my case,
Printed name on PAN is ABC
Aadhaar Name is ABC
But in PAN database and IT portal it is CBA (I have no idea why my first name, last name fields got reversed here but I need to get this corrected later)

So this caused me problems whenever the Aadhaar and PAN names needed to be compared.

When you say you changed your PAN card, did you update your full name in the database or did you only get a new card issued with a different printed name?

Last edited:
In my case,
Printed name on PAN is ABC
Aadhaar Name is ABC
But in PAN database and IT portal it is CBA (I have no idea why my first name, last name fields got reversed here but I need to get this corrected later)

So this caused me problems whenever the Aadhaar and PAN names needed to be compared.
A small update from my end. I applied for a correction and reissue of PAN card via this site. Now my name is shown correctly in the Income Tax Portal and some services which compared my PAN and Aadhar names while doing KYC are accepting it.

Back