CPU/Mobo Processor, Mobo and RAM

thawfu666

Adept
Hey Guys. I have a Core 2 Duo system now with 4 GB RAM. I've been having that for five years now. I am looking for an upgrade. I have selected 2 processors. AMD FX 8350 or the i7 4770 (NOT THE 'K' VERSION). And I am looking to increase my RAM to 16 gigs ... :) Please suggest the better processor among the two and also a motherboard for that processor. :) Thanks a bunch ;)

considering today's overall industry positioning between intel and amd.. I would say Intel for sure. Might be a premium for sure and both are good processors, but I would say the intel is overall better long term VFM with lower power consumption and heat profile too.

But going with the current prices for new Haswell chips.. why do you want to upgrade now (considering that the weak rupee is also a big drawback)

I would be multi tasking a LOT ... I won't be gaming mostly ... :) And I'll be buying it from USA ... :) And btw, where is the template ?! :)

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel E7500
    • Motherboard - Intel DG41RQ
    • GPU - Nvidia 9400GT
    • RAM - Transcend 2X2GB PC6400
    • Monitor - Acer (18.5")
    • PSU - Stock
    • Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM HDD
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • PSU - Stock
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core i7 4770
    • Motherboard - Asus Z87 Extreme 6 LGA 1150
    • GPU - GTX 650 with 2GB GDDR5 RAM
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 1600
    • Storage - 256GB SSD
    • Monitor - Any 1080p monitor
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • America or Chennai
    • Open to Flipkart only
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Action - GTA IV
    • Racing - Need For Speed at high settings
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    • Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

I would be multi tasking a LOT ... I won't be gaming mostly ... :) And I'll be buying it from USA ... :) And btw, where is the template ?! :)

Try to get your processor from a Microcenter outlet in the US. Huge price difference between them and other online stores.

I am not allowed when I enter microcenter.com ... It says that my IP is blocked ... Why ?! :\[DOUBLEPOST=1380432685][/DOUBLEPOST]It says gateway geo IP alert. This request is blocked by the SonicWALL gateway Geo IP Service. Country Name: India

I am not allowed when I enter microcenter.com ... It says that my IP is blocked ... Why ?! :\[DOUBLEPOST=1380432685][/DOUBLEPOST]It says gateway geo IP alert. This request is blocked by the SonicWALL gateway Geo IP Service. Country Name: India

Yep this happens to me as well. Its some security they have setup.

Use the link below to mask your indian ip.

http://ipmask.us/

@ The Pain, I have found the Amazon is a whole lot cheaper than Microcenter ... So mostly will be sticking to that ... Or else Flipkart ... :) And I have decided to go with the Intel Processor (4770) with 16GB ddr3 RAM, Nvidia 650, 2TB HDD :)

@ The Pain, I have found the Amazon is a whole lot cheaper than Microcenter ... So mostly will be sticking to that ... Or else Flipkart ... :) And I have decided to go with the Intel Processor (4770) with 16GB ddr3 RAM, Nvidia 650, 2TB HDD :)

Great. The last i had checked on their website was for the 3770k which was a whole lot cheaper than all the other online stores in the US.

All the best with your build.

Cheers.

@ The Pain,
Now my config goes like this ...
Intel Core i7 4770
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
16GB DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)
120GB SSD (where I installed Windows)
1TB HDD
Evga Nvidia 650 (with 2GB GDDR5 RAM)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Thank you once again for your support ! ;)

@ The Pain,
Now my config goes like this ...
Intel Core i7 4770
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
16GB DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)
120GB SSD (where I installed Windows)
1TB HDD
Evga Nvidia 650 (with 2GB GDDR5 RAM)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Thank you once again for your support ! ;)

Nice! If ur budget allows, try to spend a bit more and get a higher end graphic card so that your rig is future proof. Cheers!

Nice one but I doubt your PSU will be able sustain your configuration ......better upgrade that too.....as far as I can tell a 250W PSU won't be able to handle GTX 650

@The Pain , the current configuration comes up to 55-60k ... I plan on selling my old PC for about 15-20k ... So that makes my total amount for the new PC to 40k ... I can spend upto 50-55k ... So can u suggest a good graphic card ?! Now when I say 40k, I mean that the GTX 650 is included in that ... The price of GTX 650 is around 10k ... So the other things amount only to 30k ... Now that means I can purchase a graphic card for around 20-25k ... :D Do you understand ?! :D Sorry If it is too complicated ... Anyways the main question is can u suggest a good graphic card (Nvidia only) for around 20-25k ?! :) Thank you once again ;)
@bltallama , Of course I would be upgrading that ... But would the 650 really require more power ?! :\[DOUBLEPOST=1380893330][/DOUBLEPOST]@The Pain I just checked it now and the 660 fits my bill perfectly ... :) Is that fine ?! ;)

Last edited:
Yep the 660 would be much better. If you are planning a good enough power supply, the 660 TI AMP from Zotac would be nice. Costs 22982/- after 5% discount on flipkart.

http://www.flipkart.com/zotac-nvidia-gtx660-ti-2gb-amp-zt-60804-10p-2-gb-ddr5-graphics-card/p/itmdesdhj2hzd7rp?pid=GRCDCJGFZBJFZUZZ&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=gtx 660&ref=6b0277e7-53cf-4668-b8d5-088c67727250

But you will need a good power supply to go with it. Atleast 600W i think.

You could save some more money by cutting down on your RAM to 8 GB instead of 16 GB which is more than enough for your requirements.

Cheers.

@The Pain , the current configuration comes up to 55-60k ... I plan on selling my old PC for about 15-20k ... So that makes my total amount for the new PC to 40k ... I can spend upto 50-55k ... So can u suggest a good graphic card ?! Now when I say 40k, I mean that the GTX 650 is included in that ... The price of GTX 650 is around 10k ... So the other things amount only to 30k ... Now that means I can purchase a graphic card for around 20-25k ... :D Do you understand ?! :D Sorry If it is too complicated ... Anyways the main question is can u suggest a good graphic card (Nvidia only) for around 20-25k ?! :) Thank you once again ;)
@bltallama , Of course I would be upgrading that ... But would the 650 really require more power ?! :\[DOUBLEPOST=1380893330][/DOUBLEPOST]@The Pain I just checked it now and the 660 fits my bill perfectly ... :) Is that fine ?! ;)
[DOUBLEPOST=1380895939][/DOUBLEPOST]I use the Corsair 650VS with a GTX 680 and a Core I7 setup. Works great without any issues.

http://www.flipkart.com/corsair-vs650-650-watt-psu/p/itmdg36xznfnesye?pid=PSUDG347RBUYNCFK&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=corsair vs650&ref=08b35cdc-11a9-44a9-b002-bbf2862ed70a

Works out to 4180 after discount on flipkart. They both cost 27162/- together on FK. Locally may be less. Cut your ram down to 8 GB and you can afford to buy both ;-)

Last edited:
@The Pain Even I have considered the same ... ;) I have also thought of cutting down my RAM to 8GB ... :) And that PSU you mentioned looks pretty good ... (y)

Was just reading on some stuff on Haswell compatibiity and power supplies Check the link below:

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/haswell-compatibility-with-corsair-power-supplies/

They dont seem to have confirmed compatibility on the VS650, you can probably contact corsair CC before you pick up the psu or you can pick up one from the 100% compatible list (depending on ur budget)

Anything 600 W and above should be fine i think.

Back