Graphic Cards Products to not buy - MSI Radeon HD 7850 Power Edition

ak_47

Disciple
Hi guys,

I bought this card in December thinking that I will get a great value for money card and will be able o play all my games at good resolutions.

I was so wrong!

I was extremely excited when I opened the box and installed the card in my computer the day it came. I opened Steam and fired up Hitman: Absolution's benchmark. Vertical lines!

So then I upgraded to the BETA drivers from the AMD website. The vertical lines stopped. The games were just running fine. Performance was great. I was happy again, after all it was only a driver issue. AMD even released a 13.1 Catalyst driver. Things finally started to seem good again.

I was so wrong! AGAIN!

So I bought World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, as I was told it now had Direct X11 graphics. After 2 hours of questing and leveling up, when I was about to turn in one of my quests, the system froze and a weird sound came from my speakers. I took a deep breath, hit the reset button and convinced myself that it was only an isolated incident. After an hour, the system froze again! Same problem persists in DotA 2.

CRAP!

I turned off the Direct X11 features and shifted to Direct X9 in the options within WoW. It has been running stable since then.

DARN!

What is the point of buying a Direct X11 card, when you need to run everything on Direct X9 mode. I am very disappointed with AMD and MSI. I thought AMD would have pulled their shit together where drivers are concerned but I was hugely mistaken. I only wish that MSI would change my card and give me an Nvidia based one without any OC and other bullshit. I'd even pay the difference for a GT 670, but I guess it is now just too late.

I advise you guys to not buy this product as it is completely faulty. I have seen several owners get irritated with the same problem.

I will personally never buy an AMD chipset based card again!

If anyone knows the MSI guys, please let me know. I could really use some help in getting this crap card replaced.

Thanks!

Well its not just you, go to amd official forum and you will find loads of topics for same...

what is your SKU if i may know??

and if your PSU is powerful enough, it calls for a RMA

So the issue is with AMD drivers or (god forbid) the hardware. Never faced something as bad with my 4850. MSI stands vindicated :). I hope they fix it fast ... targeting a 7850 1gb myself when the prices drop furthe.

what are the system specs? are you using a good branded psu or cheap oem psu that came with the cabby? if it's freezing in an hour it means somethings heating up quite fast.

Hi guys,

I bought this card in December thinking that I will get a great value for money card and will be able o play all my games at good resolutions.

I was so wrong!

I was extremely excited when I opened the box and installed the card in my computer the day it came. I opened Steam and fired up Hitman: Absolution's benchmark. Vertical lines!

So then I upgraded to the BETA drivers from the AMD website. The vertical lines stopped. The games were just running fine. Performance was great. I was happy again, after all it was only a driver issue. AMD even released a 13.1 Catalyst driver. Things finally started to seem good again.

I was so wrong! AGAIN!

So I bought World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, as I was told it now had Direct X11 graphics. After 2 hours of questing and leveling up, when I was about to turn in one of my quests, the system froze and a weird sound came from my speakers. I took a deep breath, hit the reset button and convinced myself that it was only an isolated incident. After an hour, the system froze again! Same problem persists in DotA 2.

CRAP!

I turned off the Direct X11 features and shifted to Direct X9 in the options within WoW. It has been running stable since then.

DARN!

What is the point of buying a Direct X11 card, when you need to run everything on Direct X9 mode. I am very disappointed with AMD and MSI. I thought AMD would have pulled their shit together where drivers are concerned but I was hugely mistaken. I only wish that MSI would change my card and give me an Nvidia based one without any OC and other bullshit. I'd even pay the difference for a GT 670, but I guess it is now just too late.

I advise you guys to not buy this product as it is completely faulty. I have seen several owners get irritated with the same problem.

I will personally never buy an AMD chipset based card again!

If anyone knows the MSI guys, please let me know. I could really use some help in getting this crap card replaced.

Thanks!

Ok.. first of all I am sorry that you are facing such issues and the trauma because of that. With all my empathy, I should say that you must calm down a little bit on this.

As there are many other users facing such issues, I am sure you will get a revised (fixed) version of SKU once you go for an RMA.

Report this to the RMA dealers directly and submit your card.

I know this is not what you would love to get on a new purchase, but believe me, shit happens and we cant blame everything on MSI (they can still be accountable) and AMD here as they are already willing to replace such error prone SKU's.

Also, grass looks greener on the otherside, but they also have problems. Just that you got unlucky this time.

what are the system specs? are you using a good branded psu or cheap oem psu that came with the cabby? if it's freezing in an hour it means somethings heating up quite fast.
OP says dx9 runs fine. the system freeze is with dx11 and Shaleen thinks this is a universal issue with AMD ... i googled and found it to be true. Are you saying dx11 is more taxing on the hardware causing it to heat up?
ak_47, have you checked in catalyst software if the gpu usage stays really high (say > 70 or 80%) when you game in dx11. temps should be under 90 C... e.g 100 C is a big no!! others can correct if i am wrong. you can always override the gpu fan settings to manual and set it to a high value. noisy but will should keep temps in control, better than the automatic mode.

I bought a HD 7870 last week and I am having exactly the same problem as yours, I am combing through various forums and found out that 7800 series suffers from this problem, I don't know what is causing your problem but my 7870 is crashing because of bad ceramic capacitor on the back of the card

MSI likes to overvolt their cards which makes them unstable, you could look into that.

Shaleen I think the faulty capacitor problem was limited to Sapphire and had been rectified by them.

WTF? I was very much willing to buy 7xxx series soon for my new system but this topic makes me think twice :(
Now is this issue only with msi cards or with whole line of 7xxx series?? Shall i consider good old 6xxx series or shift to nvidia? :confused1:

WTF? I was very much willing to buy 7xxx series soon for my new system but this topic makes me think twice :(
Now is this issue only with msi cards or with whole line of 7xxx series?? Shall i consider good old 6xxx series or shift to nvidia? :confused1:

Can't really say much till @ak_47 reveals his full configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had similar issues with my msi 7850. Got a replacement card from flipkart. I never had any issues while playing games. I used to get vertical stripes while browsing. And if screen turns off due to power save, it wouldn't turn on again. Same issues persist with my replacement card. AMD drivers are to blame. Just read the official forums.

I have not had access to my pc for sometime now. So not sure if newer drivers have any fixes.

MSI likes to overvolt their cards which makes them unstable, you could look into that.

Shaleen I think the faulty capacitor problem was limited to Sapphire and had been rectified by them.

Okay I Did not know this but my card is Sapphire
is it possible that i got the defected card?
thinking of making a new thread for this

This topic shall be made sticky and it shall cover all 7xxx series issues on a serious note. It will be a good place to discuss related issue. :)

This topic shall be made sticky and it shall cover all 7xxx series issues on a serious note. It will be a good place to discuss related issue. :)

But this topic covers only MSI 7870, I think there should be a different thread with all 7xxx problems..

OP says dx9 runs fine. the system freeze is with dx11 and Shaleen thinks this is a universal issue with AMD ... i googled and found it to be true. Are you saying dx11 is more taxing on the hardware causing it to heat up?

never said something like that. the shutdowns seems to be at periodic intervals, so it seems to be some hardware issue. without any config given i cant say what is wrong. saying so would be like shooting arrows in the dark and hoping one of them would connect. anything could be at fault here. from bad air flow in case, bad psu, could be gpu overheating etc.

Mine works perfectly, at 1025 mhz constantly, MSI is a rock solid card, i would recommend this card, may the OP is having some issue with his PSU or mobo

Back