Prototype - Discussion Thread

Re: Prototype

Ethan_Hunt said:
It's CPU limited. When the pedestrian & Vehicle concentration start increasing, the frame rates start taking a hit. I'm not sure how scalable it is @800x600 resolution, but I would rather not advice you to play it on that sloppy resolution. There is some intense physics calculations done in this game & so it won't be very stable during heavy action sequences.
Can I play it? My rig as follows, BTW gonna switch to 2033SW soon, so how about @ 1680x1050:cool2:, now sticking to 1024x768:tongue:.

^

yes u can..because we got no good titles coming in the next 2 mths so we can very well put our money into this game!!

^^ strange , beacause iirc ghostbuster video game coming on 16th july and bionic commando on 1st july :O

@Ambar its very nice game but spending 2.5k is bit too much

@ambar....dont waste 2.5k on it...buy a pre-owned copy & sell it after completing :p

Infamous is far more polished than this game :|

the grafix are just bland and Dull in this game...Draw Distance is Bad....High rate of Pop-Ups. The gameplay is good...but the button mapping for over 133 (or 113 powers) is bad...i mean try pressing "x" & "o" together for cannonball move....its bad...:|

remember...Fight Night Round 4 is coming end of June...:)

Just played for half an hour. Have to sleep early so will keep my early impressions short and to the point.

Running around the city, hopping over obstacles and scaling vast distances with ease feels nice. But hey, it felt nice in Spiderman: Web of Shadows too and got boring pretty fast. Let's see how long this keeps me intrigued.

Combat feels better than WoS - no upgrades done so far, but the system looks promising. Running on 1920x1080, all high details and getting an average of 30 fps (AthlonX2 6000+, GT8800 512mb, 4GB RAM).

I like the environmental destruction and general atmosphere of the game but can tell it's going to get pretty damn repetitive soon. I already died twice against the damn tank in the beginning - trying to pick up the rocket launcher and shoot it down while i'm being shot at from 10 different directions. Oh well, you learn with experience.

More to come in a few days - i don't really feel the URGE to want to keep playing it though as I did with Wolverine.

^Oh yeah...repititive is another minus point the game...there are no variety in enemies too :p Helicopter hi Jacking too feels the same after a While :no:

woah !! screenies look amazing ! I need to try this out !!

let me check how big is the download :p. or need to find someone nearby who has already downloaded it :)

nice concise review mate do you think the game will chug on my e6600???
Thanks. E6600 should manage it, but I'm not sure what video card you're using, so won't be able to comment on the performance.

how much fps r u getting????
Like I mentioned in the review, it's usually around 27fps in high density area, but while scaling buildings & low crowd/vehicle concentration, it manages a steady 45-50fps. It's very skippy.

Can I play it? My rig as follows, BTW gonna switch to 2033SW soon, so how about @ 1680x1050, now sticking to 1024x768
Sure you can. ;)

Ethan, in short, is it worth spending 2.5k over?
For the PS3 version? NO. It's better to get the PC version for a relatively cheaper price, if you have a good enough configuration to support it. It should be retailing for Rs. 999, I suppose. So it's worth buying for the PC.

^^ strange , beacause iirc ghostbuster video game coming on 16th july and bionic commando on 1st july
Ghostbuster's is due on 16th of June in North America. So that's next week.

Infamous is far more polished than this game
the grafix are just bland and Dull in this game...Draw Distance is Bad....High rate of Pop-Ups. The gameplay is good...but the button mapping for over 133 (or 113 powers) is bad...i mean try pressing "x" & "o" together for cannonball move....its bad...
Depends on how much you prefer gameplay over graphics. I don't feel it's so bad that I make it a sole point of bashing the game. I'm more engrossed in what else the game has to offer. It may have compromised a bit on graphics, but in terms of physics & gameplay it's way ahead of inFamous. The level of gore & action too is much more intense than inFamous. I didn't face any pop-in or out issues. Controls are fine on the 360 controller. :)

Oh yeah...repititive is another minus point the game...there are no variety in enemies too Helicopter hi Jacking too feels the same after a While
Which hack-and-slash/action game doesn't? ;)

I missed out on some aspects which I would like to add:

Behavioural AI: Bump into one of them & each of them will pass a different comment. It's pretty much like how it works in GTA IV's engine, only change is that it has more population to deal with. If you drop from a rooftop in a crowded area, people around you start panicking & run off. It's amazing to just watch their reaction when they watch a person jump over cars like they were trampolines.

Extreme Physics: Yes this is a critical part of the game. The level of physics in this game is insane. You could pretty much rip apart anything & everything. Bump into people & they have a fluid bump response. Jump from a rooftop & the ground receives a crater. Trees break if you dash in at high speeds. Rendering so many characters & managing each of their individual responses is really difficult. So brownie points on physics.

New York City's portrayal: Yes this has been paid special attention to in this game. They have given a very detailed view of a major part of New York City. Pretty much every building & street seems different from the other. This was something which GTA IV had amazed me with & now it's PROTOTYPE. I have heard that Radical Entertainment had taken 20,000 photos of the city in the initial game development stages. A very nice effort on their part for a good representation of the location.

Ethan... there's a specific difference between the repetitiveness of Prototype and the repetitive nature of Wolverine. Wolverine was fun throughout, till the very end IMO... maybe because the graphics were always a pleasure to look at? Maybe because the animations and textures were far beyond Prototype's? The blood effects, the claw trails, the atmospheric snow/lighting/water effects? Everything blended into a beautiful package which ended up being even better than the movie.

Prototype... :/

Hehe.. will play some more, maybe it'll get better.

I would have loved to play but I love a more story driven plot.

From what I have read on the steam forums , its a fun ride and that is it.

Nothing wrong to it, just not my cup of tea. Have fun folks. :)

@Ethan_hunt: thanks for the short n sweet review

Radical has mixed up spiderman and hulk and make this game - some new power - but nothing really outstanding or super interesting - it will enjoyable to anyone who like wolverine-spiderman game -people who just enjoy the ride and stop bragging about intellectual game (lol)

I will definatly try this one

@Ethan_hunt : dude have you tried Bionic commando - whats your take on this game ?

kiranb28 said:
Ethan... there's a specific difference between the repetitiveness of Prototype and the repetitive nature of Wolverine. Wolverine was fun throughout, till the very end IMO... maybe because the graphics were always a pleasure to look at? Maybe because the animations and textures were far beyond Prototype's? The blood effects, the claw trails, the atmospheric snow/lighting/water effects? Everything blended into a beautiful package which ended up being even better than the movie.

May be? So you're not sure of it? It was repetitive for sure, just like every other game. What's makes a repetitiveness go away is the variety of enemies the game throws at us. God of War had it & so did Devil May Cry 4. That's what made those games so special. Wolverine repeated the same batch of enemies all throughout the game. If you recall, most of the boss fights were repeated. I loved the game though. Same goes for PROTOTYPE. Some times we must just stop being a "graphics whore" and enjoy the game for what it is. ;)

@Ethan_hunt : dude have you tried Bionic commando - whats your take on this game ?

The recent one? Nope. It's not out on the PC yet. Although I have played the remake, Bionic Commando Rearmed. It was really good, but at the same time very difficult.

bionic commando has recieved average reviews i doubt it will be any better for the PC but iam really looking for ward to RE5 and Dark Void and also Street Fighter 4

Ethan_Hunt said:
The recent one? Nope. It's not out on the PC yet. Although I have played the remake, Bionic Commando Rearmed. It was really good, but at the same time very difficult.

ok, I will check with Bionic Commando Rearmed -giving me the feel of duke nukem manhattan project

ubergeek said:
bionic commando has recieved average reviews i doubt it will be any better for the PC but iam really looking for ward to RE5 and Dark Void and also Street Fighter 4

Don't just go for reviews - better if possible play it if any of your friend has it - or the demo (pc); RE5 and SF iv is in my list also

Don't know about Dark void

primal said:
Would Prototype run on my config?

Ph II X4 940
4 gigs ram
Biostar TA 790gx 128mb(with igp hd 3300)

Should on low resolution and settings. Even then it would start struggling in intense action situations. Running today's games on IG is a sin :p

Freaky said:
Should on low resolution and settings. Even then it would start struggling in intense action situations. Running today's games on IG is a sin :p
How about mine, at 1680x1050??

Back