PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

hackboy89

Adept
Oct 25, 2009
but it would be really optimistic to expect that there would be a cfw without a dongle..

They are, in the end, a company which also sells a downgrader, so there would certainly be a dongle, and not at all, a free solution..

But as long as it is cheaper and take the cfw from 3.55 to a 4.x, i would be happy..

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Sep 14, 2009
Mumbai
Some hopes though

Hacker 'Zadow' has just conquered the toughest snake known to the PS3 scene, 'The Cobra USB Dongle'!

For those of you that have not been following the PS3 scene in much detail due to scene drama, you may have noticed that the scene is starting to "rise from the ashes" just recently with Team REBUG introducing the PSN-enabling 4.11 spoofer and Mr. DongleBreaker cracking the PS3UserCheat dongle, and now a once-regular PS3Hax aspiring hacker named zadow28, aka Zadow has reverse-engineered the Cobra dongle files so that the above-average PS3 user who has an USB development board laying around or any similar device can use the cracked files and use it like an ordinary Cobra USB device.
Remember the files still need to be completed and ported to other devices, it is not a drop in PKG install for those running CFW v3.55, but I am sure people will be finishing the work done by Zadow and released as a Gift to everyone, and you will see more news updates what in now basically an unlocked Cobra USB device, ready to be ported to other devices!

Dec 17, 2010
Kolkata
Some hopes though

Originally Posted by Wololo Yesterday I posted what appeared to me as a massive breakthrough in the PS3 scene, a bunch of files decrypted from the Cobra dongle, one of the DRM encrypted piracy dongles for firmware 3.55. The files had been released by user zadow28, who seems to have a fairly good reputation on some of the scene’s websites.

I have been contacted since then by several veterans of the PS3 scene, who told me these files are, in essence, garbage.

They didn’t explicitly tell me the word “fake”, but rather, it seems the files posted by Zadow are basically useless information, which in addition has been publicly available for a while. None of them told me “where” that information actually can be found, which for now I interpret as “it is so useless that we will not even bother to tell people where they can find the information in the first place”.

I do not have the tools, the knowledge, or the time to confirm if Zadow28 is a fraud, but I can say I am seeing a pattern I’ve seen in the past on the psp and the vita scene: unknown guy gets semi famous by posting lots of garbage that looks like the real deal, famous devs call him out for a faker, random people start some conspiracy theories about old devs trying to get all the credits, other random people tell the old devs that they should collaborate with the new guy instead of bashing him, old devs have a hard time explaining that it is impossible to collaborate with a dude who has the IQ of a banana. (I’ve been through that so I know how people like kakaroto feel.

So, if I’m to choose a side, I’ll go and trust the old dudes. If they say it’s useless, I guess they’re right.

Originally Posted by euss At least I won't be needed to give zadow unself/ungpkg with sources and precompiles like his last readself2/3/4/5 fail (so much better to use scetool anyhow)...

(which btw are all on wiki, /files and gitorious too)

I do not know who incepted this thread with nonbased remarks about Atmel AVR/Micochips PIC, but they should look closer to the content and what is needed for such target. There is nothing AVR/PIC related inside the filesets, just plain unself/ungpkg'ed files which where ran through IDA and exported i64/db files. It also does not make any sense to even /want/ it as a dongle, because if you have the PPU/SPU changes, it would make alot more sense to distribute it as patches (MFW Builder TCL) or live patcher: payload (payloader3) then a stupid dongle.

So he could not do it! Don't know why people post fake stuff to get some attention.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
2 new EBOOT fixes have arrived for 3.55 without the need of any dongle: Final Fantasy XIII - 2 & Saint Seiya - Sanctuary Battle. :D

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
One wrong move and you're console will be bricked. So this isn't as easy as it seems. I'd rather hold out, till we learn more about it and find out a foolproof way of getting it to work.

Dec 17, 2010
Kolkata
Yes its a matter of time. But its very tough. As ethan said. Its not for the average joe. Even devs are having a hard time it seems because its out since last week and nothing new.