[PSA] Don't buy yearly plans from your ISP

6pack

ex-Mod
Why? Cause they will not upgrade your plan for free if the speeds increase in between.

I had bought a yearly plan of 2Mbps from my ISP (was getting a month free) in January this year. Unknown to me around Jan end they doubled the speeds from 2-4Mbps
for the same
price. :(

Was looking at their site today and saw the new plans. Called the CC. After a few minutes of talking and some hold time listening to elevator music, I was given only one option - if I wanted the new plan speeds for the remainder of the duration I had paid, they wanted me to pay extra money. I said no. CC said they couldn't do anything else.

So it is like a year's loss of money to me now. Stuck at low 2Mbps speeds instead of 4. :(

So don't pay for more than 3 months now. Data plan prices are decreasing everywhere and even small ISP's are reducing their prices.

since jio would be launching their broadband service, its better not to get annual plans anyway. OP, how come you opted for annual plan when its evident jio is due?

since jio would be launching their broadband service, its better not to get annual plans anyway. OP, how come you opted for annual plan when its evident jio is due?

No big ISP in my area. Only other option is BSNL or 4G plans which cost a lot more for the same speed and have FUP. This plan is unlimited plus they have YouTube caching which allows for viewing 1080p video without too much buffering.

I learnt what you said the hard way. Now doing monthly recharges only. The ISP tried very hard to convince me to go for the yearly plan offering lucrative pricing however i didn't take it :p. I am excited to see how well jio's broadband would fare against the current plans the isp's are offering.

I faced the same situation. I paid for six months and after 2 months the speed increased to 10 times(jio effect I guess). But my LCO upgraded my plan after a week of drama XD

Damn :(... I opted for yearly plan... Hathway sales person offered me 2 months free on 1 year plan... @ 770/Month... 10Mbps speed & 450gb FUP

tP6el3a.jpg

Last edited:
Not really, I have ACT annual plan with me and in the course of last 7 months they have automatically upgraded thrice to highed speeds as in when they changed their plans without any intervention.
I guess it mostly depends on the ISP.

I have yearly plan with ACT in which I got 2 months free. During this course, they automatically increased speeds/data without me doing anything. I guess it depends on ISP

How does BSNL have YouTube caching? Its still ADSL tech or something else?

Not BSNL, I was talking about the local ISP.
BSNL is still on ADSL and has ridiculous prices even now. Even Railtel has copied BSNL prices for Maharashtra. No Railtel in my location though.

Forgot to mention that Jio won't be coming to my area in years any way. Tier 2/3 cities are not on the fiber map of any ISP. Even BSNL won't put fiber.

Why? Cause they will not upgrade your plan for free if the speeds increase in between.

I had bought a yearly plan of 2Mbps from my ISP (was getting a month free) in January this year. Unknown to me around Jan end they doubled the speeds from 2-4Mbps
for the same

Was looking at their site today and saw the new plans. Called the CC. After a few minutes of talking and some hold time listening to elevator music, I was given only one option - if I wanted the new plan speeds for the remainder of the duration I had paid, they wanted me to pay extra money. I said no. CC said they couldn't do anything else.

So it is like a year's loss of money to me now. Stuck at low 2Mbps speeds instead of 4. :(

So don't pay for more than 3 months now. Data plan prices are decreasing everywhere and even small ISP's are reducing their prices.
Same here, bought a 6 month 2mbps plan and after 2 months checked the website which showed 4mbps plan.
Though my ISP gave additional 4 months free.
Funny part: For the same price of 2mbps, I will be getting 10mbps(No FUP)
Boi can't wait to upgrade XD

for the same

Mine asked me to pay ~ 4.5K, which was for Jun to Feb for 10 mbps [my sub was expiring in jun]. Now awaiting a static IP from them for 2.5k.

Well ACT may upgrade the speed automatically but the end result is barely different. Pretty much every evening the speed is < 500kbps (yes, bits) on my "75" Mbps plan. Only in the morning I get the advertised speed and that too only for torrent. Youtube or any website browsing feels like a worse than ADSL connection, same with direct files download from anywhere outside India. I liked it when they had 10/20Mbps speed which were available 24/7.

Back