PSN yet down. :(

sharktale1212 said:
Sony is being absolutely hammered:

UPDATE 4-Sony says 25 mln more users at risk in second data hack | Reuters

Now Sony PC games online hacked too.

This keeps getting better and better. I hope they learn a lesson and not screw around with their consumers and/or hacking community.
BUT, I'm willing to bet that they will NOT learn even one thing and continue to screw around. Big Corporation learning from its mistake? Never gonna happen...

sharktale1212 said:
I hope they learn a lesson and not screw around with their consumers and/or hacking community.
Sony invests billions of dollars into their ventures. They have a right to protect their Intellectual property. You would do the same if you are in their position. So stop talking as if they were doing something wrong and some else in their position would be doing anything different.

As for data theft that happened, no one is safe from it. Apple have had its share of data theft in the past. Yet no one seemed to have complained about Apple then. In fact a lot of people sympathized with them.

The crackers involved are lousy losers whose motives were of an utterly selfish nature (making a quick buck by selling stolen info and using stolen credit card numbers). Don't insult the real hacker community by referring to these selfish losers and attention whores as hackers.

Sony invests billions of dollars into their ventures. They have a right to protect their Intellectual property.

actually, they dont have to remove an advertised feature of a product which is the reason many users bought it at the first place.

Point is, SONY started this.

Now how would you react if you bought a GPU say HD5870 and AMD forces a driver upgrade(you HAVE TO TAKE IT OR LOOSE WARRANTY) that reduces performance of the card(for whatsoever reason). Would you take it in or rebel? Dont reply, we already know the answer.

Actually, I'm pissed at Sony for the way they sued GeoHotz and how they are trying everything to lockdown the console and kill homebrew. I mean people bought the console, let them run whatever program they want ffs.

comp@ddict said:
actually, they dont have to remove an advertised feature of a product which is the reason many users bought it at the first place.

Point is, SONY started this.

Now how would you react if you bought a GPU say HD5870 and AMD forces a driver upgrade(you HAVE TO TAKE IT OR LOOSE WARRANTY) that reduces performance of the card(for whatsoever reason). Would you take it in or rebel? Dont reply, we already know the answer.

The features in any product (especially software) can change from time to time and that includes addition, removal and modification of features. Most EULA's cover this sort of thing and you already agreed to the same when you purchased and decided to use a PS3. You had the option to not agree to their conditions and return the PS3 as it is, but by choosing to open and use it, you chose to grant permission to Sony to add/remove/modify features, so why are you questioning the same when they choose to exercise the same? Also remember, they removed a feature in their firmware. They didn't do anything to your PS3. If you still want to rebel try sueing them and see what happens? If you want to say that hacking their Networks and bringing down PSN or stealing private user info and credit card numbers (which I honestly believe is unrelated to the GeoHotz issue) is the way to rebel, then I am sorry, I don't agree with you. Ultimately, what Sony is doing is entirely within legal limits, what these crackers are doing is not.

There are a number of companies that had done something similar in the past. I myself as a developer at a product based company have successfully proposed/performed modification/disabling/removal of existing features in the product in the interest that those features had potential to cause more harm than good. There is no doubt there would be people who are pissed by such an action, but there would also be an even more number of people who would be pissed if keeping the feature causes them problems.

The PS3 feature in question is allowing security exploits to be made and paved the way for unsigned code to be run on the platform. That sort of thing not only allows home brew and piracy, but also paves the way for malware, not to mention tools for cheating in online games. There are millions of people who care more about security and fair online gaming than about the Other OS feature. In any case there would be a number of people who would be mighty pissed if some hacker/cracker exploits the said feature to develop malware that attacks their consoles. No matter what Sony chose to do about the potential threat, there are going to be ill consequences, they just went for what they thought was the lesser evil.

pretttt said:
Actually, I'm pissed at Sony for the way they sued GeoHotz and how they are trying everything to lockdown the console and kill homebrew. I mean people bought the console, let them run whatever program they want ffs.
People bought only the hardware, Sony didn't sell you the firmware, but only a license to use it subject to their own terms and conditions. People are free to run anything they want on their PS3 or do anything they want with their PS3 as long as it does not involve Sony's proprietary components. Let GeoHotz develop a custom firmware, drivers and other modules from scratch without using any of Sonys IP and I am sure Sony and none of their lawyers can touch GeoHotz for that.

^OtherOS was not removed because of piracy or hacks. Linux Maintainer from Sony sent out emails saying it was being cut solely due to costs (and since only like 1% of purchasers were using OtherOS). It was never to be in the slim but Sony claimed it will only be in the fats. Then suddenly they remove it from fats too and the excuse changed from "costs" to "hacking" when the fact is Hotz's Hypervisor hack that Sony was pointing too was not only easily patchable (Hotz was publishing everything in the open for Sony to see) but it wasn't even doable at the moment.

Basically Sony found the scapegoat in Hotz as perfect excuse to level out OtherOS, only 1% of the population will whine about it anyways and they can phase out the linux team greatly cutting costs. This was in the year when Sony suffered its first yearly net loss in 15 years (2009) and ps3's were selling poorly and at a loss.
Sony has always made Hotz the scapegoat. Even after he came back to the scene, he did made CFW releases but only centered towards homebrew/linux and protected his CFW's from running pirated crap which other hackers broke. The public keys he leaked were for signing homebrew apps and easily patchable which Sony fixed in a firmware upgrade but Hotz's intent was to get homebrew/linux stuff working. If Sony ever had anything real on Hotz, they wouldn't have settled for nothing after suing him.
Also the current PSN hacking has nothing to do with Hotz. It is probably one of the anons who saw how weak PSN's security is during the DDOS attacks (which was for Hotz), then contacted his own for-profit organization, found a buyer then planned this attack. At least that's my take on it. There are IRC chatlogs of anon taking apart PSN security like it was a school project.

PSN update. After 3 weeks, Sony has finally released the 3.61 firmware update in which they have strengthened their defenses and made a password change mandatory.

India Update - The firmware is available for download, although you can't yet change your password. It seems to be up in some regions of North America. Not sure about Europe, although I think that by tonight it should be up and running in India.

I am sure everyone here is aware that Sony has put up a list of 4 games from which any psn user can download 2 games be it for PS3 or PSP.

Having a PSP I was thinking about KillZone Liberation and Little Big Planet but PSP never connects to PSN unless it has the latest firmware (haven't tried it this time but it never works without the latest firmware anyway). So I decided to update my Media Go and try and log in through that but PSN store is not working. If everything is hunky-dory out there, then upgrade my PSP.

In the past I have never used media go to purchase or download games but just browse the store hence I wanted to ask you guys a few questions:
1. Will I be able to use the welcome back offer through media go?
2. If I download the game from Media Go how many times can I put it on my PSP? / 3. In future if I purchase a game through Media Go how many times can I put it on my PSP and if I loose the downloaded copy can I re-download it?
4. If I download it directly through PSP (how) can I make a backup of it?

Sony PlayStation Network Password Reset Page Exploited, Customer Accounts Potentially Compromised

According to reports on Nyleveia.com, Eurogamer, and NeoGAF, Sony's PlayStation Network password reset system-the one just put in place after the PSN hack-has been compromised, allowing hackers to change a PSN password if they know your email and date of birth. Exactly the sort of information that was released in the original hack.

Sony has taken the password reset system offline. Kotaku has reached out to Sony for comment.

Update 1: The good news (as pointed out by NeoGAF's "Metalmurphy") is that if your account was compromised, you should have gotten an email from PSN that says your password has been reset.

Update 2: An official community moderator on the EU PlayStation forums notes the following services are offline:

PlayStation.com

PlayStation forums

PlayStation Blog

Qriocity.com

Music Unlimited via the web client

All PlayStation game title websites

Update 3: This is the purported exploit as provided to Kotaku. As PlayStation services are now offline, this exploit is no longer able to be executed:

The prodecure is as follows:

1) Navigate to : https://store.playstation.com/accounts/reset/resetPassword.action?token (this is normally, via email, https://store.playstation.com/accounts/reset/resetPassword.action?token=YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY with the y's being a unique token) - do not enter the code at this point.

2) Open a new tab in firefox, and go to fr.playstation.com (other pages will work too most likely), and click Login (Connexion)

3) Click Recover password

4) Enter the email and date of birth of the target account

5) Click continue, then on the confirmation page, click "Reset using E-mail"

6) Switch back to the original tab, and enter the code, then click continue

7) You will now be asked to enter a new password for the target account

Update 4: According to Sony's PlayStation blog, "Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed."

Source: Kotaku

OMG! Sony is really cursed since the last month. :p

As if their problems weren't already enough. Most people would be yet unaware of this yet as the PSN is currently online and people are playing their games. This seems be minor though and should be dealt with soon enough. Also, trying to change passwords using email and DoB would take quite some time for them to cause some large-scale damage.

Back