Monitors Purchasing 144 hz, 1 ms monitor without gfx video card

robin3989

Recruit
Hello Forum members,

I am planning for a budget PC build and not adding GFX video card at the moment. The motherboard doesn't output 144hz, so does it worth getting a 144hz 1ms monitor?
I currently have a Samsung 23.5inch Curved Monitor.

I am looking to get the Processor and Motherboard from the used market. I'll mostly be getting an used 5th or 6th gen intel processor along with a matching motherboard. So, I'm sure the motherboard will not do anything at 144hz.

Thanks,
Robin R

Last edited:
What is your upgrade path for the future?
I think you should first work out the main system that is capable to handle 144hz. You can always get the monitor later since you have one already.

Get an AMD APU processor instead of intel.

Whenever you are buying a new hardware, monitor in your case, always try to go for the one that would be future proof (within your budget). Dont "underbuy" new hardware. Who knows what future holds for us and you might consider buying a decent graphics card in coming years, that time your decision to buy the 144 Hz monitor will prove to be right.

I would suggest be very clear on your requirements. I learnt from my mistakes by losing some amount of money , i would ask the below question
i) Do you intend to game on 1080p and get a card capable of 144hz @ 1080p at medium/high settings in future , if yes then go ahead and get a 144hz monitor
ii) How important is PQ to you, what is your current panel type. Once you experience something better its very difficult to let go, i had a 60hz 4k IPS monitor which I let go for a 165hz TN panel and had a hard 9 months thinking to change or not to. Finally pulled the trigger and got an IPS 144HZ panel.

What is your upgrade path for the future?
I think you should first work out the main system that is capable to handle 144hz. You can always get the monitor later since you have one already.
My primary intention for the current build is to perform office work. I'm currently using a very old laptop and its inconvenient and difficult to use it non-stop for an entire day.
I was playing cs1.6 back in my college days and will get back gaming again using the same steam account. I might try CS GO as well, so the components on the system or the monitor should not be a bottleneck. I currently don't have the budget for an external video card, but will install one in the near future. Until I install one, is there a real use for 144hz monitor?

Also the Samsung VA panel that I have now is still a box piece, and not yet put into use. Still looking for the main components processor + motherboard to start anything. So, I do not know if I will like the VA panel, I have had a TN panel in the past and that was okay.
I think you're answering your own query
Let me rephrase the question.
Since I didn't yet buy the motherboard, I am open to motherboard options that can output 144hz @1080p without an external graphics video card. This way I can invest in the motherboard and monitor, and be least bothered about the video card for sometime.
Get an AMD APU processor instead of intel.

Whenever you are buying a new hardware, monitor in your case, always try to go for the one that would be future proof (within your budget). Dont "underbuy" new hardware. Who knows what future holds for us and you might consider buying a decent graphics card in coming years, that time your decision to buy the 144 Hz monitor will prove to be right.
Makes sense!
I don't know if the Samsung 23.5inch Curved VA panel that i bought is the right buy or not. But for other components, I'm looking only at the used market.
My budget for motherboard and processor is 15k, and my options are 5th/6th/7th gen i5/i7 processors with a matching motherboard or an equivalent AMD combo.
Do you think new components for the same budget perform better than the ones I listed above?

Last edited:
ideally, high refresh rates are good if you have the budget
Monitors tend to be long term investments , they easily last for 6 years or more so always buy the future need of what you may be using it for
even basic scrolling can be smoother on a high refresh rate monitor
the IGPU (integrated GPU) decision should be looked at a bit more carefully , as some intel or amd chips may do 60hz only at 2k or 4k but may do higher at 1080p, so look at that carefully before buying your Processor
Also some monitors may have High refresh rates only over the DP port and not hdmi, and if your mobo has only HDMI out that can also be an issue

I would suggest be very clear on your requirements. I learnt from my mistakes by losing some amount of money , i would ask the below question
i) Do you intend to game on 1080p and get a card capable of 144hz @ 1080p at medium/high settings in future , if yes then go ahead and get a 144hz monitor
ii) How important is PQ to you, what is your current panel type. Once you experience something better its very difficult to let go, i had a 60hz 4k IPS monitor which I let go for a 165hz TN panel and had a hard 9 months thinking to change or not to. Finally pulled the trigger and got an IPS 144HZ panel.
Your responses are invaluable.
1) Yes, i will get a 144hz @1080p capable card, something like GTX 1660, and at that time I don't want the monitor to be a bottleneck limiting factor.
2) Deciding on the panel type - I'm a very inexperienced person here and totally unsure about different TN/IPS/VA panel types. Even the current one is not yet put into use. I have experience with TN panels, the office monitors used to be TN and the one that I used sometime back in 2010 was also a TN panel. I can tell my purpose, please help me chose one. I will try to let go off the current 60hz VA panel accordingly.

Purpose: Gaming 1 - 2 hours a day and Office work for 8 - 12 hours a day. Please alert if PANEL type could cause eye strain or fatigue.

1) Yes, i will get a 144hz @1080p capable card, something like GTX 1660, and at that time I don't want the monitor to be a bottleneck limiting factor.
2) Deciding on the panel type - I'm a very inexperienced person here and totally unsure about different TN/IPS/VA panel types. Even the current one is not yet put into use. I have experience with TN panels, the office monitors used to be TN and the one that I used sometime back in 2010 was also a TN panel. I can tell my purpose, please help me chose one. I will try to let go off the current 60hz VA panel accordingly.

Purpose: Gaming 1 - 2 hours a day and Office work for 8 - 12 hours a day. Please alert if PANEL type could cause eye strain or fatigue.
Get the Ips panel....they are now cheap and provide the best picture quality suitable for gaming and everyday use....

My primary intention for the current build is to perform office work. I'm currently using a very old laptop and its inconvenient and difficult to use it non-stop for an entire day.
I was playing cs1.6 back in my college days and will get back gaming again using the same steam account. I might try CS GO as well, so the components on the system or the monitor should not be a bottleneck. I currently don't have the budget for an external video card, but will install one in the near future. Until I install one, is there a real use for 144hz monitor?

Also the Samsung VA panel that I have now is still a box piece, and not yet put into use. Still looking for the main components processor + motherboard to start anything. So, I do not know if I will like the VA panel, I have had a TN panel in the past and that was okay.

Let me rephrase the question.
Since I didn't yet buy the motherboard, I am open to motherboard options that can output 144hz @1080p without an external graphics video card. This way I can invest in the motherboard and monitor, and be least bothered about the video card for sometime.

Makes sense!
I don't know if the Samsung 23.5inch Curved VA panel that i bought is the right buy or not. But for other components, I'm looking only at the used market.
My budget for motherboard and processor is 15k, and my options are 5th/6th/7th gen i5/i7 processors with a matching motherboard or an equivalent AMD combo.
Do you think new components for the same budget perform better than the ones I listed above?
15k is more than enough for getting a decent used mobo + cpu combo....check out the below website....they have various used cpu + mobo combos available....have bought used i5-4590 processor from them for around 5k and working flawlessly....

Last edited:

If you are going to use it for office work surely go for an IPS panel, TN panels have very bad text legibility and are a pain to work with. I would suggest to go for a 24 inch IPS 144Hz monitor, if you could mention your budget then FMs can certainly help you with good choices. You can also simultaneously think of a budget & go through amazon/primeabgb/pcstudio.in to shortlist models , then go to rtings.com and look out for their reviews on model you choose and go ahead.

ideally, high refresh rates are good if you have the budget
Monitors tend to be long term investments , they easily last for 6 years or more so always buy the future need of what you may be using it for
even basic scrolling can be smoother on a high refresh rate monitor
the IGPU (integrated GPU) decision should be looked at a bit more carefully , as some intel or amd chips may do 60hz only at 2k or 4k but may do higher at 1080p, so look at that carefully before buying your Processor
Also some monitors may have High refresh rates only over the DP port and not hdmi, and if your mobo has only HDMI out that can also be an issue
You brought a valid point. We seldom change the monitors and it's sensible to invest in a better futureproof monitor if buying new. I will keep the port compatibility factor in mind while performing the search, so the possibility of obtaining 144hz @1080p is not restricted to only one port. I'm awaiting for sale threads on processor + mobo combo, will check the 144hz @1080p compatibility too.
15k is more than enough for getting a decent used mobo + cpu combo....check out the below website....they have various used cpu + mobo combos available....have bought used i5-4590 processor from them for around 5k and working flawlessly....
Great to hear about this. I haven't come across this website and thanks for letting me know.
If you are going to use it for office work surely go for an IPS panel, TN panels have very bad text legibility and are a pain to work with. I would suggest to go for a 24 inch IPS 144Hz monitor, if you could mention your budget then FMs can certainly help you with good choices. You can also simultaneously think of a budget & go through amazon/primeabgb/pcstudio.in to shortlist models , then go to rtings.com and look out for their reviews on model you choose and go ahead.
Thanks @fLUX
Now I have narrowed down the search to IPS. How is Asus VG259Q? I am convinced to invest a decent amount, as I will be not be changing the monitor in the near future.
Also I bought the Samsung VA from theitdepot.com, I will email them and check if they can accept the return and let me choose a different product.

Hi,

Seems to be a decent monitor, i too went for the Asus TUF Gaming series itself (Asus VG27AQL1A). I looked at alternatives from Acer, Benq and LG before deciding to go with this as rtings.com had given good feedback towards this monitor and is a relatively newer release too.

Hello Forum members,

I am planning for a budget PC build and not adding GFX video card at the moment. The motherboard doesn't output 144hz, so does it worth getting a 144hz 1ms monitor?
I currently have a Samsung 23.5inch Curved Monitor.

I am looking to get the Processor and Motherboard from the used market. I'll mostly be getting an used 5th or 6th gen intel processor along with a matching motherboard. So, I'm sure the motherboard will not do anything at 144hz.

Thanks,
Robin R
There's no need to get a 144hz monitor if your system can't handle it. Get an APU if you don't want a GPU

There's no need to get a 144hz monitor if your system can't handle it. Get an APU if you don't want a GPU
Just futureproofing as it's obvious that Monitor change doesn't happen frequently. I will get a GPU video card, it may take few months but I will get it. At that time, I don't want to change the monitor again.

I am interested in Viewsonic XG2405.
Does anyone have info about this model / user experiences?

Monitor is currently sold in PrimeABGB for 17.6k. Any other sources?

Back