Putting Cat 6 cable in new flat

saikatck

Disciple
Hi,

In my new home, the internet connection terminal is at the entry door, and it's little far away from the bedroom with multiple walls in between. Thus, I want to put a Cat 6 cable and use my Asus router as access point.

Typical home usage scenario - Mostly work from home for 2 people, and watching OTT/streaming services.

I have 3 options.

1. There is a coaxial outlet in the bedroom and I remove the coaxial cable, and put the Cat 6 cable. I am not sure if the coaxial cable is in a different conduit or kept together with the electrical wire. I will check and confirm over the weekend.

2. This is not recommended, but listing it. I can run the cat6 (shielded) through any electrical conduit and terminate it near the main MCB distribution box which is at the center of the house. Then I will put the Asus router as AP.

3. Ask the internet provider to extend the optical fibre cable to the MCB box, and install the broadband router there. With this option I won't be installing the AP at bedroom.

Requesting your help.

Thank you.

Regards
Saikat

Hi,

In my new home, the internet connection terminal is at the entry door, and it's little far away from the bedroom with multiple walls in between. Thus, I want to put a Cat 6 cable and use my Asus router as access point.

Typical home usage scenario - Mostly work from home for 2 people, and watching OTT/streaming services.

I have 3 options.

1. There is a coaxial outlet in the bedroom and I remove the coaxial cable, and put the Cat 6 cable. I am not sure if the coaxial cable is in a different conduit or kept together with the electrical wire. I will check and confirm over the weekend.

2. This is not recommended, but listing it. I can run the cat6 (shielded) through any electrical conduit and terminate it near the main MCB distribution box which is at the center of the house. Then I will put the Asus router as AP.

3. Ask the internet provider to extend the optical fibre cable to the MCB box, and install the broadband router there. With this option I won't be installing the AP at bedroom.

Requesting your help.

Thank you.

Regards
Saikat
1) If you do not want to remove the coax you can convert them to MoCA 2.0 network. It will split coax into ethernet and from there you can extend it.
2) This option is not recommended but you can run fiber. it is immune to Electro-Magnetic Interference and Radio Frequency Interference. You will need SFP converter.

Usually, the Coaxial is run separately and has its own junction box separate from the electrical one. If you do not plan on using Cable TV then you can definitely remove the coaxial cable and replace it with CAT6 (E)
I would suggest avoiding installing LAN cables alongside electrical cables at all costs. Also, avoid fiber cable as it will require you to have converters and whatnot to make it work. so your only option is replacing coaxial cable.

Usually, the Coaxial is run separately and has its own junction box separate from the electrical one. If you do not plan on using Cable TV then you can definitely remove the coaxial cable and replace it with CAT6 (E)
I would suggest avoiding installing LAN cables alongside electrical cables at all costs. Also, avoid fiber cable as it will require you to have converters and whatnot to make it work. so your only option is replacing coaxial cable.
Thank you very much.

I was in a similar scenario, but the fiber was terminating at hallway (near MCB).

As Proof of Concept, I put the ONU + Asus router in the hallway on a shelf, ran Cat5E by replacing coaxial in one bedroom. Gave me stable gigabit speeds. This was in a rented home.
Now I purchased a home in same society, planning to put 2x CAT7(6A) cables wherever a coaxial was (except main living room where coaxial will still live) and 1x CAT7(6A) in place of telephone wire.

With regards to your option 3, You can put your modem (if you decide to put it in dumb bridge mode and use your own router) at door, and router at MCB. Or, main router at door, a switch near MCB and connect all AP's to the switch. This is while assuming you have co-axial in your bedrooms and all come together at the MCB like it was in my house.

I was in a similar scenario, but the fiber was terminating at hallway (near MCB).

As Proof of Concept, I put the ONU + Asus router in the hallway on a shelf, ran Cat5E by replacing coaxial in one bedroom. Gave me stable gigabit speeds. This was in a rented home.
Now I purchased a home in same society, planning to put 2x CAT7(6A) cables wherever a coaxial was (except main living room where coaxial will still live) and 1x CAT7(6A) in place of telephone wire.

With regards to your option 3, You can put your modem (if you decide to put it in dumb bridge mode and use your own router) at door, and router at MCB. Or, main router at door, a switch near MCB and connect all AP's to the switch. This is while assuming you have co-axial in your bedrooms and all come together at the MCB like it was in my house.
Thank you very much. I would also like to know about your CAT 6 cable buying decision from fedus. What was the price per feet. Local electric shop is asking about 28 per feet for D-Link Unshielded. Can easily bring it down to 25- 26.

I will connect to the Local Airtel guy and ask him about the connection points. The Airtel guy was saying that builder have already put few additional points for Cat 6 cables. Right now I can't even make out where the builder have put those cables.

I didn't opt for the dlink Cat6 cables, as I wanted shielded ones and didn't want to rip out the old cables when I eventually go to 10G lan. So got 6A copper at 35/m and CAT7 copper at 40/m. (not CCA)

I didn't opt for the dlink Cat6 cables, as I wanted shielded ones and didn't want to rip out the old cables when I eventually go to 10G lan. So got 6A copper at 35/m and CAT7 copper at 40/m. (not CCA)
Did you get it online or offline ??

If possible share their number.

I didn't notice any sheilded cable on fedus website.

The phone number listed on their website (+91 82876 44586) I contacted on WhatsApp and placed an order.
Their CAT7 Copper Shielded cable: https://www.fedus.in/products/cat7-ethernet-cable-pure-bare-copper
CAT6A: https://www.fedus.in/products/cat6a-shielded-rj45-lan-ethernet-cable (This is CCA - Copper Coated Aluminium which are easier to get damaged when we pull through tight bends inside walls) Ask them for CAT6A Copper.

Back