Android Queries related to Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reasons i mentioned are not at all relevant to my usage so i am not rooting.

I have around 13.XX GB free on the Nexus after formatting and this can hold like 2 seasons (20 episodes per season) of TV shows for me. This means i may have to only connect the Nexus 7 to laptop every week or two for adding more episodes.

The above point means, i do not need any USB OTG functionality to connect pen drive.

3G modem is something I am absolutely not gonna use. Worst case, use hotspot from phone and that too when absolutely necessary else surf on phone itself. I own iPad 2 3G+Wifi and i have never used the 3G part so 3G is not needed.

^ by default MX player remembers the last played position

Tried ES explorer way but I feel using only MX player directly works for me well. Some videos are not playable by H/W decoder but works in S/W decoder and H/W+ decoder. So I believe H/W+ is better then.

@msankadi

MX Player installed for video, along with Dice player, Archos Video player, BS Player, Vplayer, VLC.
ES Explorer is installed, not rooted nexus as of now and not really planning to.
Gestures is more important for me only in video apps for brightness and volume, don't really want system wide gestures. But will check this.
Bottom bar gets removed in videos so i am ok with it.
Yes in fact even a jailbroken iOS is less capable than a rooted android. I know that is correct but just that since i am long term iOS user, transition to android is not that straightforward.

I am not going to install any custom ROMs or anything. Rooting is also last option.
Delete your account from all tech forums :joyful:

Does anyone knows whether Nexus 7 2013 is available locally ? Since flipkart will be getting only after 16th Dec

@dinjo

Ok so do you mean to say anyone who uses android should also install custom ROMs and root their devices ? Are you indirectly saying android is an incompetent operating system and a user has to root and install custom ROMs for a decent experience ? I see you hate iOS for reasons best known to you and you probably also do some nuclear experiments on your android tabs but you are forgetting that most users do not even know what a custom ROM is. And yes if someone is on tech forum does not really mean he has to install custom ROMs on their androids.
I bought the device for a specific reason and it fitted my cost i was willing to spend. My usage does not warrant rooting or some custom ROMs, is that a problem ?

@raksrules: im sure dinjo meant it in jest. However the fact remains that android is very capable and there is no need to root/ mod unless you are fond of tinkering and want to get more features. If you take a survey, hardly 1 in 20 people are interested in rooting their phones.

If you can purchase iPad then you can definitely afford android :) , what i meant to say was maybe you are not using the devices to its full potential I can understand people fear that they might brick there devices and they rather just want to live with it but there is always something to learn from things and trust me you really find helpful in long term and I have not bricked any devices till yet now even when i thought i had bricked it i was able to recover it.

If you can purchase iPad then you can definitely afford android :) , what i meant to say was maybe you are not using the devices to its full potential I can understand people fear that they might brick there devices and they rather just want to live with it but there is always something to learn from things and trust me you really find helpful in long term and I have not bricked any devices till yet now even when i thought i had bricked it i was able to recover it.

ZTE Blade - Rooted and installed ROMs numerous times, From Froyo to Jellybean 4.2.2. Am sick of this continous ROM change just to get some software feature or better battery life.
iPad 2 - Jailbroken with most awesome tweaks and torrent downloader
iPhone 4S - Jailbroken and my daily work horse, i feel like i might never go beyond 5.1.1 as it has super stable jailbreak (yes i missed the 6.1.2 bus).

I am not really afraid of rooting or anything. But why do something when it is not needed ? I needed jailbreak on my iPhone so i did it, if i could, i would have shown you why i badly need it jailbroken. Check my cydia thread and you will know what all tweaks i use.

Coming to affordability, to be frank i bought all iOS devices in USA and not in India, when i was 'onsite'. You see the spending to earning ratio there is pretty much different than what we have in India. Buy the latest iPhone here for most people means spending their entire month's or 2 months salary. But in US it is probably 10-20% of your monthly salary. See the difference ?
Also all my iOS devices are bought used/like-new condition, none of them bought at full price. Lets just say that if i went to sell my iPhone 4S today i would still get more than what i paid for it in US (55 Rs $ value at that time) more than a year back.
For me it is all about experience of using the device which i am super satisfied with iOS and since buying iPad mini and all for video watching was never on cards and more of it was not affordable i went for Nexus.
Everything has a potential but it is not necessary for a person to use it fully. You do know there are people out their who own high end iPhone and Note 3 and do nothing but calls, sms, whatsapp.

Though I agree with most of your points but i still don't want to go with iOS its a great OS but within its boundaries and being in tech field for years and still being bound by boundaries is not something i like , iOS is easy to use one of the biggest factor in its popularity(and laziness of people) i would not pay such premium for something when others are available at lower price.

Everything has a potential but it is not necessary for a person to use it fully. You do know there are people out their who own high end iPhone and Note 3 and do nothing but calls, sms, whatsapp.
That's what happens when you have spare money.

But in the full sized tablets, ipad air is still much better than the android counterparts. (Xperia tab z/ Note 10.1)

just bought the nexus 7 2012 edition and upgraded to 4.4.2

do i have to root the nexus to use a reliance 3g dongle?

whats the best way to root a nexus 7 on 4.4.2?

thanks

just bought the nexus 7 2012 edition and upgraded to 4.4.2

do i have to root the nexus to use a reliance 3g dongle?

whats the best way to root a nexus 7 on 4.4.2?

thanks
Install USB drivers on your PC. Download adb tools. Unlock boot loader with adb in fastboot mode, install cwm or tarp recovery, install superuser and you are done. ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back