Queries related to passport

My passport is about to expire in nov 2022 can i do renewal in advance also have the same emigration check required stamp on it will get it sorted this time by subimitting school/college marksheet also can i do a renewal in advance ?
Right, and your ECR status should be resolved during renewal on providing the qualification documents.

My in-laws (both above 50 Years) need to renew their passport soon. There is a question called as..

Is applicant eligible for Non-ECR category?

I guess we have to select YES for this? I am confused about what documents they will need to carry for this? I checked document advisor and since it is just renewal, it only asks 2 things, original passport and it's self attested first and last page copies and a document for the NON-ECR Category.

Can anyone help here? We don't recollect what we took last time.

You carry any education certificate. Minimum 10th grade. If you say yes to non-ECR.

Non-ECR is India's way of saying fellow is educated. It's to tell the destination countries that they shouldn't treat them as unskilled, uneducated. However, I haven't seen a country that acknowledges this field.

I heard that passport now requires some new pan card format and if one applies with old pan the submission will get rejected..

there is no requirement for a PAN card. Aadhar is what you need plus other docs as needed.

New PAN card is accepted if you're applying for an address change in your passport. I had applied for a new passport under Tatkal few months back... the requirement was 2 proofs of current address. So I took my Aadhar and a PSU Bank Passbook. But during the initial document verification the staff asked if I had any other address proof instead of the bank passbook. New PAN was acceptable. I guess because it has an Enhanced QR code in the front which they can scan and verify your address.

New PAN card is accepted if you're applying for an address change in your passport. I had applied for a new passport under Tatkal few months back... the requirement was 2 proofs of current address. So I took my Aadhar and a PSU Bank Passbook. But during the initial document verification the staff asked if I had any other address proof instead of the bank passbook. New PAN was acceptable. I guess because it has an Enhanced QR code in the front which they can scan and verify your address.
thanks, wasnt the case in my mom's passport. probably depends on person checking. he was satisfied with Aadhar and old passport.

You carry any education certificate. Minimum 10th grade. If you say yes to non-ECR.

Non-ECR is India's way of saying fellow is educated. It's to tell the destination countries that they shouldn't treat them as unskilled, uneducated. However, I haven't seen a country that acknowledges this field.
ECR is actually a means to protect emigrant workers to certain countries (largely Gulf nations). Education above 10th standard exempts one from ECR, along with a host of other conditions (age, parental, spousal qualifications, etc.).

Source (long read, but the only detailed one I could find): https://mea.gov.in/images/pdf/emigration_and_you_new.pdf

My in-laws (both above 50 Years) need to renew their passport soon. There is a question called as..

Is applicant eligible for Non-ECR category?

I guess we have to select YES for this? I am confused about what documents they will need to carry for this? ...
Their age (over 50) should exempt them from ECR anyhow. So, you will likely only need a birth certificate (or something else with their DOB). There are specific documents mentioned here - https://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/onlineHtml/NonEcrDocuments.html Though in my experience, officials have been surprisingly sensible, so anything with their DOB should suffice.

Their age (over 50) should exempt them from ECR anyhow. So, you will likely only need a birth certificate (or something else with their DOB). There are specific documents mentioned here - https://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/onlineHtml/NonEcrDocuments.html Though in my experience, officials have been surprisingly sensible, so anything with their DOB should suffice.
So Aadhaar should probably work? We will ensure that we have something like Birth Certificate too though. I see that for renewal they actually want nothing apart from the Non-ECR category document. Apart from that, what they want is their current passport front and last page and observation page if something is written.

Also, is there a way my FIL and MIL both can get appointment together and if yes how to make it happen? Something like using single login to take both appointment back to back in an attempt to get together or somehow system allows us to select more than one person and get appointment together?

So Aadhaar should probably work? We will ensure that we have something like Birth Certificate too though. I see that for renewal they actually want nothing apart from the Non-ECR category document. Apart from that, what they want is their current passport front and last page and observation page if something is written.
Aadhaar *may* work, but just to be safe take their birth certificate or any school/college certificate, if available. By the way, ECR does not matter unless you will be visiting an applicable country (country list).
Also, is there a way my FIL and MIL both can get appointment together and if yes how to make it happen? Something like using single login to take both appointment back to back in an attempt to get together or somehow system allows us to select more than one person and get appointment together?
I think your best bet would be to use a single login to register for appointments one after another immediately, since I don't believe there is an option to register for multiple appointments at once. This could depend on the city where you register and the number of appointment requests they typically get. I had my appointment in a tier-III city with very few other appointments and noticed them to be quite accommodative - there was at least one older couple who just turned up and were assisted to register an appointment on the spot.

Was the existing passport on non-ECR category? If yes then nothing should be required for non-ECR status - same status would get continued.
Just carry SSC/HSC/Graduation certificate (having the DoB) for safety but will not be required.

Was the existing passport on non-ECR category? If yes then nothing should be required for non-ECR status - same status would get continued.
Just carry SSC/HSC/Graduation certificate (having the DoB) for safety but will not be required.

How do I even check this? I went through my own passport renewed in 2013 and my wife's passport renewed in 2019 and I don't see any ECR or Non-ECR mention anywhere.

they give the number of people that can interview on a day like a larger number of 100 or 300 depending on size of PSK when you are booking online. So if you do it one after another, it will be close but might not be exactly next to each other.
They can request the staff and TCS people to do jointly do the initial rocess together. Only when its govt officials in the end, where its more like a one on one would they have to do it seperately.
How do I even check this? I went through my own passport renewed in 2013 and my wife's passport renewed in 2019 and I don't see any ECR or Non-ECR mention anywhere.
3. How do I know if a passport is a ECR or non-ECR (previously ECNR)?

(i) If a passport (old booklet type) does not contain ECR stamp (normally the stamping is done on page 3 of the passport), it is a non-ECR passport.

(ii) In the new type of passport booklet, ‘Emigration Check Required’ is printed just above the Name of father / Legal Guardian column on the last page of the booklet.

(iii) If there is no stamping or printing of ECR status on the passport booklet, then the passport is a non-ECR passport (previously ECNR).​

(iii) If there is no stamping or printing of ECR status on the passport booklet, then the passport is a non-ECR passport (previously ECNR).​

Yes that is how it is in my passport, no mention of anything. I am hoping / guessing it would be same for them but will check.

Yes that is how it is in my passport, no mention of anything. I am hoping / guessing it would be same for them but will check.
Exactly, if nothing is printed or stamped about ECR status then it is already a non-ECR passport.

In the earlier passports there used to be stamp to indicate non-ECR category. But that has been done away with.

Exactly, if nothing is printed or stamped about ECR status then it is already a non-ECR passport.

In the earlier passports there used to be stamp to indicate non-ECR category. But that has been done away with.
Yes my first passport I obtained in 2005 or so and that has a stamp called ECNR.

Back