Queries related to passport

I heard that if someone has an expired passport he gets issued a new passport with same old passport no.
Also, the documentation to be provided is less and so the formalities.

Someone kindly confirm the same as my passport got expired in Aug 2k18 and I"m to fill the renewal form on the website.

Once it expires it's a re-issue, equivalent to a fresh application and not a renewal. Passport number will be different.

Also passport expired more than 3 years ago means it's a slightly different category/process. Normal re-issue process is done from one year prior to three years after expiry.

I'm not sure of the difference in process if you are in India, but if you are abroad and it has been more than three years then you have to give an affidavit that you have not taken other nationality etc.

Once it expires it's a re-issue, equivalent to a fresh application and not a renewal. Passport number will be different.

Also passport expired more than 3 years ago means it's a slightly different category/process. Normal re-issue process is done from one year prior to three years after expiry.

I'm not sure of the difference in process if you are in India, but if you are abroad and it has been more than three years then you have to give an affidavit that you have not taken other nationality etc.
Ok. As on the website it says a reissue/expired passport and a fresh one option.

Ok. As on the website it says a reissue/expired passport and a fresh one option.
Documentation and process is the same for expired or fresh passport. Apart from the fact you give them your old passport and they return it with a hole punched in it.

Every alternate 10 years the police verification is done in full, so if last time you had gotten a full PV done then this time it can be faster and you can apply in Tatkal; the verification can happen after issue of passport. However if this is your third passport (or 5th) then verification will first be done in full before the passport is printed.

Hold on to the old passport just as carefully, you will still need all old passports for some visa applications.
Also if there is a US visa in there that's still valid, you can still use it by travelling with both old and new passports.

Yesterday it was my wifes appointment at the passport office and they asked her for both Ecopy of aadhar and also aadhar card. They were asking this to everyone. She wasn't carrying any ecopy so we had to get it printed form outside and then again resubmit.
I didn't got the logic asking for ecopy + aadhar card as well.
Someone who can comment on the logical part.

You're looking for logic in Indian Bureaucracy. Good luck.
Yes for their weird logic where they want both the aadhar original smart card + its original ecopy to be presented for some satisfaction.
May be tomorrow the applicant should also accompany his father/mother and brother/sister depending on his/her gender as well with some dna reports to ensure they are biologically linked!

Last edited:
If my name in aadhar card for example is Pravin Kumar and in passport it is Praveen Kumar will that be a problem when getting visa for any country.

If my name in aadhar card for example is Pravin Kumar and in passport it is Praveen Kumar will that be a problem when getting visa for any country.
Not a problem for one urgent visa particularly, provided you can furnish other proof of residence with a name that matches the passport. Aadhaar is just one of the acceptable proofs, but the spelling on the visa will be the spelling on the passport, not the spelling on the residence proof.

IMO this adhaar must not be shown for the visa application, to avoid any issues.

At many places within the country Aadhaar is taken as the preferred data, and name is automatically taken from there. Over time the issue will multiply as all your financials will take the name from adhaar or PAN. If there is a mismatch there, that's definitely a blocker.

So it is in your interest to fix one particular spelling and get all your documents with the same spelling.

Last edited:
You don't need aadhar for VISA.

Secondly, it's very easy to correct name on aadhar if it's a simple mistake like praveen > pravin. I recently did similar corrections to my aadhaar from the website.

So my passport expired 4 yrs ago and during online passport application process, my application still went under passport renewal slab! (this should only happen for passport expired within/up to 3 yrs)
On appointment day, it was a breeze process as officials only asked me for old passport and aadhar and nothing else.

Today was police verification day which I was awaiting since 4 days now and here too was asked only for electricity bill thats it!

Now waiting for passport to arrive!

So my passport expired 4 yrs ago and during online passport application process, my application still went under passport renewal slab! (this should only happen for passport expired within/up to 3 yrs)
On appointment day, it was a breeze process as officials only asked me for old passport and aadhar and nothing else.

Today was police verification day which I was awaiting since 4 days now and here too was asked only for electricity bill thats it!

Now waiting for passport to arrive!
your city?

Been waiting for police verification for my infants passport. Request was sent last Monday, no police officer has called or visited.. any idea what can be done? TIA

What if passport gets dispatched and on the delivery date unfortunately due to some reasons the person is not available or door is locked, do we need to contact psk or any authority for next delivery attempt?
Or do they give us a call regarding the same?

Been waiting for police verification for my infants passport. Request was sent last Monday, no police officer has called or visited.. any idea what can be done? TIA
They say that verification happens withing 3 days however, it may differ across places & police stations depending on the load is what I think as my wife's verification happened within 3 days and passport got dispatched on 5th day and same with few friends as well however, in my case it took 5 days to get verification intimation and when I asked about dispatching, the officer said within 3 weeks the delivery will happen.

They say that verification happens withing 3 days however, it may differ across places & police stations depending on the load is what I think as my wife's verification happened within 3 days and passport got dispatched on 5th day and same with few friends as well however, in my case it took 5 days to get verification intimation and when I asked about dispatching, the officer said within 3 weeks the delivery will happen.
I got the SMS stating Police verification would happy 2 days after visiting the PP office, been 8 (excluding sat/sun) days since that SMS, no Policeman has come or contacted yet... Was yours Tatkaal?

I got the SMS stating Police verification would happy 2 days after visiting the PP office, been 8 (excluding sat/sun) days since that SMS, no Policeman has come or contacted yet... Was yours Tatkaal?
Nope it was a normal one. I received sms on Monday morning for verification for same day evening time, this was very rude as what if someone was in office on that day and then he/she receives such sms for same day verification? They should at least intimate a day in advance.
Funny thing is Sms is sent by and from the verification officers personal no.

Nope it was a normal one. I received sms on Monday morning for verification for same day evening time, this was very rude as what if someone was in office on that day and then he/she receives such sms for same day verification? They should at least intimate a day in advance.
Funny thing is Sms is sent by and from the verification officers personal no.
Strange, I got the SMS from a service number. "MAHAPOL" so i can't call the number or anything.

Call or visit your local police station. It should be simple and straight forward.

In my case, they took my aaadhar copy, thumb print and sign and let me go. I asked them that they usually came to my place and checked with my neighbors if I really stayed, they said it was unnecessary since its our own house.

Back