Queries related to passport

Call or visit your local police station. It should be simple and straight forward.

In my case, they took my aaadhar copy, thumb print and sign and let me go. I asked them that they usually came to my place and checked with my neighbors if I really stayed, they said it was unnecessary since its our own house.
I think the process has changed now. They seldom visit your house now like earlier times, they now call us to the police station. In yr 2008 they visited my house for verification in fact they used to visit every household and if the door is locked or person is unavailable they used to drop a chit asking to come down to the nearest station.

Last edited:
You from Mumbai right?
Yup.
Call or visit your local police station. It should be simple and straight forward.

In my case, they took my aaadhar copy, thumb print and sign and let me go. I asked them that they usually came to my place and checked with my neighbors if I really stayed, they said it was unnecessary since its our own house.
Sadly, mine is a bit more complicated, my permanent address (Mumbai itself) is not the one I am currently staying at, I am on rent at this place. My adhaar and my passport has my permanent address. This application is for my son who's a few months old. But I guess I'll have to visit the station which is a bit inconvenient. Also, if that was the case I'd have gone sooner and not wasted 8 days.

Yup.

Sadly, mine is a bit more complicated, my permanent address (Mumbai itself) is not the one I am currently staying at, I am on rent at this place. My adhaar and my passport has my permanent address. This application is for my son who's a few months old. But I guess I'll have to visit the station which is a bit inconvenient. Also, if that was the case I'd have gone sooner and not wasted 8 days.
Even I was going to visit the station to inquire and luckily received the sms the same morning.

What if passport gets dispatched and on the delivery date unfortunately due to some reasons the person is not available or door is locked, do we need to contact psk or any authority for next delivery attempt?
Or do they give us a call regarding the same?
Anyone?

If the person is not available you need to give an authorization letter to whoever is available in the house. The passport is personally handed over to the person by the postman and if no authorization letter is there you will need to go to the post office and collect it with an an identity proof. The passport will remain in the post office for three days and will be returned back to to the Passport office beyond that.

What happens thereafter? Can we physically collect it from the Passport office or have to reapply?
No. You have to submit an application again to the RPO and they will dispatch the passport once again. The below transcript from the passportindia.gov.in portal

Q: The postal authorities have sent my passport back to the Regional Passport Office (RPO). How can I request the RPO to dispatch my passport again?
A: As your passport has been returned undelivered, we request you to contact the respective RPO and submit an application so that the passport may be dispatched again. Please also enclose the proof of the present address along with the application. Passport Office may also demand some additional proofs as per the reason for non-delivery provided by India Post.

So I wanted to renew my passport as it is to expire in few months.
My old passport was issues in Delhi and now I want to change address and renew in Mumbai.
I filled the form and went upto the payment stage. On the PSK selection page, I am being shown only Delhi location PSK and not Mumbai.

I cant find option to change PSK. How do I proceed, tried google but cant find anything for this

So I wanted to renew my passport as it is to expire in few months.
My old passport was issues in Delhi and now I want to change address and renew in Mumbai.
I filled the form and went upto the payment stage. On the PSK selection page, I am being shown only Delhi location PSK and not Mumbai.

I cant find option to change PSK. How do I proceed, tried google but cant find anything for this
During application process itself it gives you option to choose the desired PSK. My passport was issued in Mumbai and I got it renewed in Pune I selected Pune PSK during application process.
And the entire process was simply makkhan. On all 3 counters they only asked me for Aadhar card thats it!

During application process itself it gives you option to choose the desired PSK. My passport was issued in Mumbai and I got it renewed in Pune I selected Pune PSK during application process.
And the entire process was simply makkhan. On all 3 counters they only asked me for Aadhar card thats it!

Called up a friend who helped me out. Apparently existing account takes PSK by default where passport was issued which was Delhi.
Had to create a new account and submit new PSK as Mumbai and do the whole process again.

It didnt ask me for change of PSK in my original passport account. Maybe I didnt select address change which could have been the reason for not showing up for me.
Anyways, got the appointment

Called up a friend who helped me out. Apparently existing account takes PSK by default where passport was issued which was Delhi.
Had to create a new account and submit new PSK as Mumbai and do the whole process again.

It didnt ask me for change of PSK in my original passport account. Maybe I didnt select address change which could have been the reason for not showing up for me.
Oh! I never had an online account earlier and back in yr 2007 had done it completely offline.

Anyone else facing ridiculous processing time for their passport? Applied on the 9th of Dec.

Been stuck at "Police report has been submitted by Malad Police Station, Mumbai and sent to SP Office, District Mumbai for review." for the last 10 days!

Anyone else facing ridiculous processing time for their passport? Applied on the 9th of Dec.

Been stuck at "Police report has been submitted by Malad Police Station, Mumbai and sent to SP Office, District Mumbai for review." for the last 10 days!
It was same for me, 8 days and there was no sms/update for police verification and after verification as well waited for a good 9 days.
I think it differs as per the load from zone to zone.

Last edited:
Ii was same for me, 8 days and there was no sms/update for police verification and after verification as well waited for a good 9 days.
I think it differs as per the load from zone to zone.
8+9 is ok in your case as I guess you had mentioned your verification happened 8 days after applying. Mine happened 24 days after i went and submitted papers at the PSK. So it's over 45 days in total for me. Sad part is, its for a 6 month old child, not sure why cant it be done sooner considering the applicant's age!

yes happened to me in october i called up the local police station they shared commissioner office no i called them in the afternoon evening i checked the status it was showing approved

yes happened to me in october i called up the local police station they shared commissioner office no i called them in the afternoon evening i checked the status it was showing approved
Oh wow! When I visited the local station they said i could got to VT (Location of main Police office, in Mumbai) and enquire but they said they are likely to give me the same info as seen on the site. I will go again in a few days as @nRiTeCh mentions his took 9 days.

This is regarding visa to US.
My wife has kept her fathers middle name on passport and aadhar/pan etc.
This was well-acknowledged during her passport application aka no questions asked.

Now, my sister-in-law in US is to apply/process for our US visa for next year but she says wife's visa will get rejected due to the middle name issue as according to marriage my aka husbands name shall appear as middle name.

How factual is this?

We dont want to get any changes done now on either of her documents as I believe this shouldnt create any issue for issuing visa across the globe as Indian passport authority has already approved it.

done with the psk process. now waiting begins for pre verification and passport.
I enquired at the psk and they said, yes one has to make new account when location changes as every account is linked to the psk and that cant be changed.

Few questions as I have to renew my and my minor son's passport.

1. How can we both get appointment together?
2. For my son's passport, does my wife too need to be with us? Asking this since last time when it was to be applied for my younger one, and my wife alone went, they asked me to be there or she had to submit some affidavit.
3. How early should I book appointment if I plan to visit after April 16?

Back