Query on Domestic LPG Gas and Related Safety Measures

there are measures of safety and technical specs of bridges in Bihar, airport canopies, cough syrups too
Bihar is just one state away from where I live. That bridge collapse is one the most terrifying things I have ever witnessed.

How common is such infrastructure failure outside India? I am talking about countries like China, Japan, US, Germany etc. Is there any source that has statistical comparison(s)?

1. Here in Gobargram, they carry a wiggly spring scale and a leak detector but they don't bother to use them. I use my own weighing scale and they tend to argue about its accuracy. A positive change I've noticed because of using my own scale is that now they give me refills with correct weight. Also, after years of handling cylinders, I can now feel if they weigh any less without using a scale.

2. True
i. That tiny black rubber gasket becomes brittle over time (perhaps LPG itself damages it) and develops leak. Delivery guys can change them on the spot. I keep couple of spares, and 8 out 10 times I need to replace them at home.​
ii. It doesn't do anything to prevent gas leakage. I had two sealed cylinders kept in storage which got completely empty due to slow leakage..​
iii. I often come across cylinders that weigh 'precisely' 1~2 kgs less. In my case it points toward pilferage rather than leakage.​
iv. They used to try this quick-fix earlier but now they just replace the cylinder on the spot. I keep rejecting cylinders until they bring the one which weighs as close to the weight stamped (28~30 kgs) on them.​

3. Indians need their asses whooped to make them follow rules.

5. All are same because they all employ the same Indians.

6. Delivery charges are not mandatory. If your house is not easily accessible, the delivery guy 'may' ask you for a small amount. I have never been asked to pay for delivery charges while living in north India.

Yeah, but there are measures of safety and technical specs of bridges in Bihar, airport canopies, cough syrups too. From OP's story, there is some spec - human or technical that got violated in this case too.
In my opinion (I might be wrong), LPG cylinders in India are generally made according to standard and are somewhat safe, but their maintenance is flawed and almost non-existent.

Being a Civil Engineer who left the field due to extreme corruption, malpractices, human exploitation, and whatnot, I can confidently say that the infrastructure industry of this country is rotten to the core. Every contractor, whether small or a big player, needs to be stripped of their license, and a new system should take its place.
Licenses should only be granted to those who can follow rules and maintain standards.

Civil engineering courses need to be overhauled; the current ones create inept engineers.

Just one example:

A couple of my civil engineering batchmates were employed by a contractor who took a small project of laying a sewer line under the Swachh Ganga Abhiyan in a small village in UP along the bank of the Ganga river.
They were the only engineers in the company.
My batchmates were freshers, and the company was new (it was created solely for looting money) and therefore had no knowledge or experience in designing and laying sewer lines.
The company had to construct almost 150 manholes and sewer lines across that small village, and that line had to be connected to a major sewer line so that the flow of untreated sewage would be directed to a treatment plant.

Due to zero experience, planning, and extreme greed and corruption, they laid the sewer only in a small portion of that village with around 20 manholes. Some homes were flooded with sewage because the slope of the sewer line was not proper.

A government engineer who came to inspect was served chai pani, after which the department released approximately 70-75% of their money! The remaining amount was kept as security, just in case the work done by the company was not up to standard or might require some repairs.
But that company had already made enough money, so they didn't really care about that remaining amount, and then they vanished.
That company and the employment of my batchmates only lasted a few months.

Guess what—one of my batchmates started taking government contracts after that, and the first contract he took was for laying sewer lines!

After completing my B.Tech, I worked in a small construction company in Gurgaon as a junior site engineer.
I had a mental and emotional breakdown in just two months because of the extreme work hours, malpractices, just three holidays a month (yes, just three, and no Sundays), and that too, I had to take permission from the company. If some major work was going on at the site, they wouldn't grant those holidays, etc.

All the batchmates who got into the construction field faced similar problems, and 90%, including myself, quit the field.

The infrastructure of this country is built upon the BLOOD of poor, exploited people.

Enough of my rant. I should go to sleep now :(

Talks all about the cylinder and specifies criteria for it's acceptance. We're all pretty confident these cylinders can hold the amount they are supposed to.

There is nothing or very little about valves or those 'safety' white caps.

It doesn't do anything to prevent gas leakage. I had two sealed cylinders kept in storage which got completely empty due to slow leakage..
@blr_p This practical incident completely contradicts your earlier theory. This is the reason I am confused. The conclusions keep changing person to person.
The cap is there to prevent a leak.
Definitely otherwise cylinders waiting for delivery will weigh demonstrably less on delivery.
You can see how small the chamber in the cap is. To empty the cylinder the way you have proposed will take a very long time.

It doesn't do anything to prevent gas leakage. I had two sealed cylinders kept in storage which got completely empty due to slow leakage..​
I don't know what you mean by 'it' here?

How long did it take for your sealed cylinders to empty themselves?

This presumably means both cylinders had the white safety cap with shrink wrap

In my opinion (I might be wrong), LPG cylinders in India are generally made according to standard and are somewhat safe, but their maintenance is flawed and almost non-existent.

Being a Civil Engineer who left the field due to extreme corruption, malpractices, human exploitation, and whatnot, I can confidently say that the infrastructure industry of this country is rotten to the core. Every contractor, whether small or a big player, needs to be stripped of their license, and a new system should take its place.
Licenses should only be granted to those who can follow rules and maintain standards.

Civil engineering courses need to be overhauled; the current ones create inept engineers.

Just one example:

A couple of my civil engineering batchmates were employed by a contractor who took a small project of laying a sewer line under the Swachh Ganga Abhiyan in a small village in UP along the bank of the Ganga river.
They were the only engineers in the company.
My batchmates were freshers, and the company was new (it was created solely for looting money) and therefore had no knowledge or experience in designing and laying sewer lines.
The company had to construct almost 150 manholes and sewer lines across that small village, and that line had to be connected to a major sewer line so that the flow of untreated sewage would be directed to a treatment plant.

Due to zero experience, planning, and extreme greed and corruption, they laid the sewer only in a small portion of that village with around 20 manholes. Some homes were flooded with sewage because the slope of the sewer line was not proper.

A government engineer who came to inspect was served chai pani, after which the department released approximately 70-75% of their money! The remaining amount was kept as security, just in case the work done by the company was not up to standard or might require some repairs.
But that company had already made enough money, so they didn't really care about that remaining amount, and then they vanished.
That company and the employment of my batchmates only lasted a few months.

Guess what—one of my batchmates started taking government contracts after that, and the first contract he took was for laying sewer lines!

After completing my B.Tech, I worked in a small construction company in Gurgaon as a junior site engineer.
I had a mental and emotional breakdown in just two months because of the extreme work hours, malpractices, just three holidays a month (yes, just three, and no Sundays), and that too, I had to take permission from the company. If some major work was going on at the site, they wouldn't grant those holidays, etc.

All the batchmates who got into the construction field faced similar problems, and 90%, including myself, quit the field.

The infrastructure of this country is built upon the BLOOD of poor, exploited people.

Enough of my rant. I should go to sleep now :(
so what you are doing?

Can somebody tell me why the HP Gas and Bharat Gas websites have such shockingly terrible designs? Low res - horizontally squeezed icons? It looks more like as a high school kid's side project than a professionally created site for a company that operates pan India.

1. https://myhpgas.in/
2. https://my.ebharatgas.com/bharatgas/Home/Index

Are these two companies related? How do their sites appear so similar? Is this some Government guideline that they are following?

How has nothing changed even in 2024?

hpcl vs bpcl ?
I was talking about the design of these two sites:

1. https://myhpgas.in/
2. https://my.ebharatgas.com/bharatgas/Home/Index

Guidelines for Indian Government Websites and apps (GIGW) | India

guidelines.india.gov.in
guidelines.india.gov.in
That was one of most well designed PDF documents I have ever seen. But do these guides instruct GAS websites to appear like the two above?

Here in Gobargram
Where is Gobargram located in India? Google search landed me on this thread.

I found Gobar Times though. http://www.gobartimes.org/

I don't know what you mean by 'it' here?

How long did it take for your sealed cylinders to empty themselves?

This presumably means both cylinders had the white safety cap with shrink wrap

I was referring to the white safety cap.

Cylinders were sealed and had correct weight at the time of delivery. I didn't remove the seal / shrink wrap or the safety cap. It took them more than 6 months to empty themselves. I contacted the agency when it happened for the first time. They didn't bother to investigate the incident. And I didn't bother to contact them when it happened the second time.

I guess the white cap doesn't prevent or stop the leak but slows it down considerably to prevent mishaps. My house was unoccupied for a long time during the first occurrence but I was at home during the second incident. As I couldn't smell any gas leak, I am guessing that the cap prevented fast release.

Where is Gobargram located in India? Google search landed me on this thread.

Gobargram, formerly Ganwargaon (गंवार गांव) is part of NCR. ;)

^You left out the all important point 4. Why :nailbiting:

I did write few lines on teaching family members the steps to take in case of a gas leak. As this topic is already covered in our schools, I removed it.

Back