Audio Radius "DDM" : Out of the box impressions

esanthosh

Skilled
(Boring) Intro:

First off, I must confess. My audiophile lingo is made of 3-4 words. I don't have the skill or ability to write reviews. So, take my blabber as-is. I love music, but that's about it. I have no intention to be or become an audiophile --- ever. So, that out of the way, let's get into N00bish rants about a subject he has least knowledge about.

As some of you might know, I have been sold on analytical IEMs like Phonak PFE and RE-0 for the past year (nearly). I have looked long and hard for something which complements these IEMs for sometime now. I narrowed my choices to Brainwavz M2, Panasonic HJE-900 and Triple Fi 10. But, before I could decide on any of them, out of the blue, I stumbled upon Radius "DDM". It was unique in having two dynamic drivers. A "famous" Head-fi-er led me to finally pulling the trigger on DDM. My preferred sound signature largely agrees with his. So, I had no hesitation in going ahead.

Coming to the point, I bought them from Musica Acoustics, Japan. They sell the packaged DDM for $158 shipped. But, I went for the basic OEM pack, which contains nothing except the IEM. No tips, no packing, no case, no cleaning cloth - Just a zip-lock and your IEM. I got them for $110. Unfortunately, all the black and gold OEMs have been sold out already. So, I had to settle with a blingy red version.

To get them, you have to contact them by E-mail and pay via PayPal.

The Looks

From left to right - Radius DDM, It's (infamous) cable, Close-up shots in over flashed g(l)ory

First impressions

The IEM reached me in five days by EMS. It was packed in a not-so good looking pack. The IEM was kept safe in a plastic box covered by few really bad papers. Unimpressive packing, but customs won't have their eye brows raised due to the packing. That's the "good" side of it. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to discard them, so no photos of 'em. Sorry!

If you ask, they will send you their "best tip" which may give a good fit. But, that is priced at $6. So, a better choice would be looking at one of your available IEM tips or get fake tips from lostearbuds on eBay.

Their cable reminded me a lot of the poorest IEM cable I have - Hippo Epic-Sparkle. Why would anyone in their right mind use a nylon covered memory prone cable, I don't know. Here comes the next part - I've heard horror stories about the fit; but with a single flange I used (sorry don't remember which IEM / After market pack it came from :ashamed:), I got a very good fit. Let's plug this thing to S9 and ..... damn! Microphonics - I could feel every movement of the body translating into an equal and ugly sound from the cable.

And now to the sound part.

This is where I tell you that sound is subjective and you might feel the exact opposite of my impressions. I can only write what I honestly felt during the fist three hours with this IEM. Audio memory is illusive, so I'm going to write this down fast before I forget.

First thing I noticed was ... BASS. I've had bass shy IEMs and a Hippo VB, which does sub-bass really well. But, this one has both mid and sub-bass. The good thing is it's not bloated or humped like other IEMs. I finally have an IEM that makes Massive Attack's "Tear Drop" actually sound like a song over heart beats.

Most IEMs, even if they have a wide sound stage, have a three pronged setup - Left ear, right ear and center. Some sounds vaguely pass through in between. DDM does some unique layering of sounds that I was unable to get my head around. I initially felt that the sound stage was a bit cramped. Oddly, some cymbal then struck a tad "outside" of my right ear. The sound seemed to float between my left and right ears, seemingly in a semi-circular fashion. But then I realized with time, that these do have a wide sound stage. It's layering of sound, some unique positioning and imaging that had me confused.

And how are the mids? Really nice. They are not recessed, not too in your face, just about right. Only my Phonak PFE had it so far. The vocals are much more clearer here. I could even decipher a few words of Jens Kidman in Meshuggah's "Bleed". That song brought out another aspect - that they don't seem sluggish. They do have speed.

They do not seem to be "lacking" in treble. They just don't have that excess energy. And as far as I could tell, there's no hint of sibilance. I tested them with Opeth's "Isolation Years", which sounds a tad unbearable with Hippo VB.

And what of details? It's not "prominent" or "visible" as in the case of RE-0 or a PFE. They do have the details, but you won't pick everything up until you wrap your head around their signature. Once you do, you'll find that you don't miss much (or anything at all).

And apart from bass, I love what they did to my old metal albums. Metallica needed that little boost of energy and slight forwardness to shine compared to analytical IEMs. I also liked how they presented a few MP3s (VBRs / 256 kbps) of Sepultura. I do not have to bother with ripping bit perfect FLACs too much. I am yet to test them with lower bit rate files though. They seem to inject life into music compared to the dry, analytical IEMs.

Playing Diana Krall made me a bit nervous. She was using the center of my head as the mic. Next I tried "Dark Side of the Moon" 30th anniversary edition in 320 kbps. I must say, among my IEMs this is the only one which does justice to that recording - at least what's possible within it's ability. The effects emnate from one ear and fades into the other ear. The spatial feel is very much there. I could also "feel" a bit of bass when sound travels over my head - too close for comfort.The first three tracks I listened to were to say the least, very enjoyable.

And any negatives?
Of course, no IEM is perfect. The cable microphonics and isolation are both bad. There may be fit issues due to it's odd shape for some, but not to me personally.

With a few tracks, bass though not intruding on mids was more prominent and was seeking most attention. They say that with burn-in, it gets better and bass becomes much more tighter. Let's see how it goes.

So, what do I think? I am really happy to get something "different" that doesn't do anything 'normal' IEMs do - right from the dual dynamic drivers to unique presentation. I am happy with my purchase. Is it worth $160 shipped? I really don't know as I don't have that many IEMs in that price range to compare. But is it worth $110? A resounding yes.

i dint know resellers offer this "nanga" IEM packages...with great VFM....at 110 its superb deal....and that too shipping included!!!!

and a nice n short review...!!..great buy ...congrats .

Great to the point impressions :D Post some pictures comparing it the other other IEMs you have ;). So do you prefer this over the Phoanks/ amped RE-0 ?

^ Can't really say at this point. They are just different types of IEMs.

At the end of the day, I see sound signature as different colored glass to look at the same music. So, I might eventually prefer PFE/RE-0 with some music and this with the rest. Too early to tell anything concrete right now. But, this displaced Hippo VB from my Top 3 IEM list for sure.

Gotta say one thing though - I've not been this excited by an IEM since my purchase of Phonak PFE. Because this one brings something fresh to my ears :)

As far comparisons, I plan to do a short comparison of all IEMs (no lingo, just like this one) I own someday. I'll post side by side pics then.

^ Great ! The best part is your enjoying it and that's what matters the most. Also I love the design of these ..Looks like some red chewable candies :rofl:.

nukeu666 said:
nice, hadnt heard of the radius before
what's next?
Thats a great review santhosh. Very lucid! And there goes your oath of no more iems:p As far as lingo is concerned you are doing fine, we get the gist of it, and thats the way its supposed to be good.

Very nice review ! :D

I like that its very short and to the point.

Some head-fi reviews are so long winded that I give up not even half way through the review ! :S

I really wanted to try this earphone before but the $200 price point stopped me. However judging from your review I wouldn't like it too much since it doesn't have much of a soundstage. The RE1s have spoiled me rotten on that front. :(

@iaudio - He is planning on spending around $600 on custom iems next. :D

@strategy, red dragon, superfrag & all others

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

I'll try to do a minimalist comparison between RE-0, PFE and DDM after a couple of weeks.

FaH33m said:
Also I love the design of these ..Looks like some red chewable candies :rofl:.

:lol:

nukeu666 said:
nice, hadnt heard of the radius before. what's next?

So what's next? I've limited ambitions -

Yuin OK1 in earbuds

RE-2X2, TF10, DBA02/CK10 and/or "just" a (couple of) custom(s) in IEMs. Arrow 12HE 2G for portable amp.

Audeze LCD-2 and HD-800 for headphones with "decent" power to drive them, may be a Stax rig with Woo Audio Amp.

A million rupee Stereo setup

Nothing much ;)

haraakiri said:
Hope you get more IEMs/headphones and more audio equipment and we get more reviews. :D

Hope I get more money to spare to get more gear. I'll wait for your Sparrow review.

iaudio said:
And there goes your oath of no more iems:p

I can't keep my temptation in portable audio under too much control. Spending $110 gives me a whole new perspective. But to have this kind of variation and diversity in speaker world, I need to spend many, many times more. Considering that people spend $100 easily on ICs or Speaker cables, I am sure IEMs are a better investment. The complete elimination of external factors and the negligible space required for storage makes it a better bet. Yet there are things that speakers do which can never be replicated by a great headphone, leave alone an IEM, it's understandable why we have both speaker guys and headfi-ers.

BF1983 said:
I really wanted to try this earphone before but the $200 price point stopped me. However judging from your review I wouldn't like it too much since it doesn't have much of a soundstage. The RE1s have spoiled me rotten on that front. :(

They do have a wide sound stage - in a sort of complicated manner. In a few songs, all I hear are a few cymbals at the extremes. In a few others, it's pretty clear. Sometimes, I perceive slight element of depth too. I need time to see if it's a function of the recording or just my head getting used to it. I am yet to hear RE1, so cannot compare. Can you give me an idea - how's RE1 sound stage compared to Hippo VB?

I've been warned that once you go back to your other IEMs and come back to DDM, you need to go through the adjustment process all over again. But, not sure if that'd be the case with me.

^^ Dude there is no comparison between VB and RE1. I can live with the VBs soundstage but the RE1 is in a different league altogether (when amped). :)

The RE1 has better soundstage than my full sized HD650 easily. Probably the AD700 will defeat it, but in the IEM world it will easily compete with the best of the best at any price range. :D

And its cheap at $79 + shipping so your next step is to get the RE1s. :p

^^ wow ....thats some praise for the RE1 ......to beat a full size can ( soundstage ...wise) .....that too ....HD650 ..easily (...overkill).i got to try the RE1 now

After reading a few reviews I have an urge to try them out ! They seem to have some amazing bass.Lot of comparisons with IE8 as well :O.

@brendon,

Though I like IEMs, I don't plan to own all the IEMs in the world :bleh: (You can loan me though ;))

I did a very quick swap and check routine today morning with DDM, PFE(amped by T3, +7 dB) and RE-0 (amped by T3, +7 dB). I'll do a detailed comparison next weekend or so.

Bass (Quality): DDM > PFE > RE-0 {Opinion subject to change}
Sub Bass : DDM >> PFE, RE-0 (Both have very little to nothing to my ears)
Bass (Quantity) : DDM >>> RE-0 > PFE
Treble: RE-0 > PFE > DDM

All other features including mids need extensive listening than a shoddy comparison. I'd try to put DDM on burn-in for at least 50 hrs before that.

The words I associated with each in that quick test:

DDM - "Bass, Unique" ; PFE - "Balanced" ; RE-0 - "Smooth, Clear, Extended"

^ this is head-direct RE1 right....??? and IE8!!!!....i was thinking of going to for SM3 /IE8 for their soundstage (of course not at this time....)...and here comes RE1 ....beating HD650 in soundstage( easily......damn overkill i tell you) and and being compared to IE8 (base wise)

I hope my RE262 lives up to the expectations set by RE1, RE0 and RE252!

^ Soundstage isn't everything .The RE1s are best at what they do(mids + soundstage) but then they almost kill the treble. The overall sound signature is too laidback and treble extension is pretty bad. Bass is decent and with an amp its pretty good. Overall its in the same range as RE-0,RE1,Hippo VB etc. Most under 100$ IEMs .

^^ lol ....that "of course not now "(edited it so that there is no confusion) that i wrote was written to indicate that i am wont be buying either one currently .....because of the lack of funds and will be considering them in the future

that was not because re1 has great bass and soundstage.

strategy said:
^^ wow ....thats some praise for the RE1 ......to beat a full size can ( soundstage ...wise) .....that too ....HD650 ..easily (...overkill).i got to try the RE1 now
Err, before you buy it and kill me for saying its nothing great, it should read that it has awesome soundstage IF amped properly. :p

And TBH the HD650 soundstage is not too great. Its wide but imaging (how easy it is to gauge the position of each instrument in the song) is nothing much.

Without an amp the RE1s soundstage will be rather small and the overall sound will be dull and relaxed. And no an E3/E5 wont cut it. :(

@Faheem - The great thing about the RE1s strengths is that if your vocals or your soundstage sounds crap, there is little you can do to enhance it. However you can EQ treble, mids, & bass to add volume/weight to the sound.

So yesterday night I tried the EQ on Foobar and set the Compass to a bright configuration. There was a substantial difference in the sound with the RE1. The overall sound was very much balanced. Now it wont hold a candle to the Re0s treble but it could compete with the RE252. :)

@Esantosh - Hmm, stop tempting me to get the DDM. The more that I read about your impressions the more I feel its a real kick ass IEM.

Back