Audio Radius "DDM" : Out of the box impressions

bennysachdev said:
Well i don't think burn in applies to IEM's, i think its just the mind getting used to the sound signature. That's why you'll never see any1 saying that my iems sound worse after burning em in.
All you need to change your belief about burn-in is a pair of Hippo VBs. Compare a used 50-100 hrs VB with brand new one at Jaben Store.

Ive compared quite a few same IEMs side by side pre and post burn-in. Some show huge difference , some dont show much difference. :)

If I am not wrong, Brendon also observed a slight change when using pink noise for burn-in and music for burn-in - with Hippo VB.

@Fah33m, BF1983,

Is there any pattern you guys use for burn-in like pink / white noise etc., ? From the link I gave above, I find it interesting the pattern you use for burn-in has an impact on the overall sound. Have you observed anything like it?

Edit: Found this longer thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...nt-burnin-techniques-gave-me-two-unique-iem-s

One week back, I got a new pair of new hippo vbs for my friend and I did own my hippo vb. I though my hippo vb improved a lot and especially sibilance reduced drastically. I then tried blind test between new hippo vb and the one which had 150 hours on it. I failed the test. :( I was shocked because, even if my ears aren't good enough to see the details, still I am very sensitive to sibilance and I couldn't atleast detect that. I am not suggesting there's no burn-in, but atleast I didn't detect changes, same happened with RE2 which again I thought had a positive effect with burn in. :(

^ That's the point - Can I hear it? ;)

With Hippo VB, I did not burn-in at all. I just switched to Sony Hybrids and have not bothered to burn-in.

I've always listened to music and I don't really care about burn-in. I did try to burn-in one IEM and one Clip-on. I observed no changes after burning in KSC75 for 100 hours. I did find an improvement in Hippo Epic-Sparkle.

Me being me, I doubt my "observations" at all times. Our brains are wired to fool us. So, without a newer HE-S in hand, I won't know for sure it's an improvement or not.

However, I did do something - I left myself a note on TE so that my brain would not fool me about what I heard. After posting my initial impressions, I never had a listening session till the burn-in was complete.That way at least, I am sure my brain did not get used to the sound. The other question would be - whether I can trust my 3-4 day old audio memory, which I used for comparison? Brain does not act like a hard disk to retrieve data; emotions play a large part. So, I am not sure, but to me - I did observe a bit more resolution to the sound. Sibilance though did not settle down.

Well, I am doubting my theory on burn-in. :(

I have got a brand new RE1 a few days back and right out of the box it sounds exactly the same as my old one. :huh:

Maybe its just the RE1s that dont require burn-in but my even when I changed my driver of the HD650, withing a few minutes I could not make out any difference between the right and left driver. (The old driver was used for at least 200 hours).

^ That's interesting!

Did you get a chance to check a burned-in Hippo VB with a newer one? Perhaps, that's a better test of burn-in theory.

My non audiophile impression on SM3 vs IE8

1.Both are light,SM3 fits better(I have only 1 pair if tips and they fit just fine).I had a hard time with IE8,only the large grooved one fits OK but the isolation is not that great.

2.Both have wide soundstage.Sound stage of SM3 varies with songs and the source.I was listening to some Riverside songs with both of them and IE8 gave a wider soundstage,the drums were clearly behind my head with IE8,not so with SM3.I then changed my source from ipod touch to Cowon V5,IE8 remained same,but there was a vast change with SM3,the drums were behind and probably ABOVE my head.

Will experiment with some other genre today and will keep you guys posted.

P.S Please suggest me some well recorded trance and house albums.I have zero knowledge about them.

i love trance, but m clueless abt which one of them are well recorded. I have gigabytes of Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, PVD, etc :)

out of which my favs (top of mind) are :

AVB feat Sharon del Adel - in & out of love (blizzard remix),

Cold Blue and Del Mar - 11 Days (Sebastian Brandt) - is probably well recorded as i can hear finer nuances in the track with my M2 :p

AVB - going wrong (ALEX morph remix)

AVB - fine without you

Sun liquide - celebrate the light (rene ablaze remix)

Gouryella - Walhalla

Tiesto feat JES - Everything

Oceanlab - Miracle (Above & Beyond Club Mix)

Ziki - Trance N Roll

Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious (Best psy trance track ever made :D)

Tiesto - i will be here (wolfgang remix)

Paul Van Dyk - Flaming June (BT And Paul van Dyk Original Mix)

Airwave - Expose

Above & Beyond - Home (Wippenberg Remix)

Sexy Lovers Feat. X - Kiss me

@red dragon,

Even if you take your time, can you please post a detailed review and comparison of IE8 and SM3? I guess you're the only one with SM3 here. Of course, that deserves a separate thread along with a grand show off ;)

@red dragon: you own both IE8 & SM3!!! What do you do for a living man?

That apart, where did you get SM3 from & how much did they cost including everything?

Also do you live in Delhi/NCR?

dragonball said:
@red dragon: you own both IE8 & SM3!!! What do you do for a living man?

That apart, where did you get SM3 from & how much did they cost including everything?

Also do you live in Delhi/NCR?
Hey,I am no smuggler or dope mafia (just got out from medical school!!)I bought the ie8 myself and my brother in law got that sm3 from Holland.It is relatively cheaper in Germany and Holland but strangely not in France.I bought the ie8 for 15.7k from a local dealer here in kolkata.I am actually new to this kind of stuff and so far just loving it.Will definitely put up some pics when I get my camera back.Anyone from Kolkata is welcome for audition.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anyone frm Del/NCR is welcome to audition my S:Flo2 + M2 + E5

Thanks for the info red dragon, i hope you save many lives :)

If you read after the first few posts, it already has drifted a lot (RE1, burn-in, now SM3). I thought I'll leave it drifted and start a new thread for my RE-0 vs PFE vs DDM opinions ;)

*OT* @ RedDragon . Download the FLAC album of Anjunabeats Volume 8 .You will surely love it ! :D *OT*

@esantosh , Eagerly waiting for the comparison review !!

^ I still can't describe sound that well and I can't write in a verbose, coherent manner. I was reading these reviews by Faheem and Brendon and many other posts and chose to shut up because I was never sure how much I can convey with my writing. Now, I attempt to write something and hope it makes some sense :ashamed:

Let me try writing a comparison b/w RE0, PFE and DDM. If it makes at least a bit of sense, I'd expand it to include all my IEMs.

I've waited long enough for Faheem to write about all his 45 (Is there a zero missing at the end?) IEMs. Hope this serves as a warning for him to finish it fast :p

PS: I've written bits and pieces about PFE in various threads.

Back