Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Tenzin said:
Thanks a lot.

So M6 or M9 aren't available in India? I searched for the M9 in dealer section of TE but couldn't find it. How much would both cost in India?

M6 is available from mediahome - http://www.techenclave.com/mediahome/meelectronics-m6-ear-earphones-fiio-l1-186806.html. But, in the US, they are clearing out the old models stock and hence they are available under $15 now - a deal you won't get in India right now.

@mukul,

But, JH3a won't bring out vivid colors and sound to make real world boring ;). That's one really crazy priced cable. Wonder who buys them.

RS4 said:
These are interesting - Earbud Covers for the Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad by Brepps. These are cheaper (International post - $1 from the estimate) at about $3 a pair. If they last longer than the average foam, might be worth a look. Thinking of ordering some soon.

esanthosh said:
These are interesting - Earbud Covers for the Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad by Brepps. These are cheaper (International post - $1 from the estimate) at about $3 a pair. If they last longer than the average foam, might be worth a look. Thinking of ordering some soon.
I had ordered one earbud cover set from ebay 2 months back which never came :p
Amarbir has these type of earbud covers, so i am getting from him, those earbud covers on Brepps look interesting but i doubt if they will fit on my yuin PK3 as its smaller in size compared to the ibuds, still they look cool and it would be nice if you can post your feedback after receiving them.

^ Following the head-fi thread. They should sound the same according to the company as they have only changed the housing and the cable. But, impedance has doubled from 17 ohms to 34 ohms.

The company offers an upgrade of sorts - 30 Euros for the upgrade (since I bought it last year) + 37 for the cable + shipping (both ways) + customs hassle. I think I can buy another IEM with that kind of money unless there are some sonic changes.

But it sure is looking good ...detachable cable + better build.
i hope is sounds as good as the SM3 (v1) .

here is the original link . surprisingly they have not increased the price. its just soundearphones thingy ( the price hike) .

and now people can avail the discount of 15 % on earsonics also ... the new coupon "save15 " only excludes grado, shure and senn. :D

this is a great chance to get sm3 (v1 )at just 255 shipped ( in US ) and V2-SM3 at 366!!!
amazing !!

Nopes Strategy!

Discount ---> 15% off on next purchase except Shure, Senn and Grado.

Earsonics lists in Euros. It's over $500 when you convert it to USD. So, Soundearphones price is about right. They will all come to $300 next year. Hopefully, there would be many SM3 v1's available in Head-fi too. Around $250 would be a nice value for them. I am thinking of upgrading once some reviews are out!

I meant earlier the price for SM3 V1 on the earsonics website was the same viz. 288 ( ex tax ( which is not applicable for international customers ))

and €288 equals $427.

AND, NEXT should mean the next buy .....if i buy it now it will be my next buy !!

i tried a dummy address and applied the code it works !!

^ Ah! I thought next means the next purchase after the current one. Anyways, Soundearphones doesn't give upgrade discounts, so I may ask Earsonics to see if upgrade is possible... just in case :)

Surfing through head-fi sometimes results in things which I can't classify as funny or tragic. Today, it led me to this - Cynosure USB Cable. Price for a freaking USB cable is (hope it's not a typo

Starting at $3549 for 3FT
Clearly, they have not spell-checked or grammar checked the page (or English is not his mother tongue, in which case it's understandable). The other cables on the site go for $250/ft and $550/ft respectively. And why is this damn costly?

This new wire is a great step up from my previous efforts, and allow the "sould" [sic] of the original Cynosure to stay intact, while allowing the cable to be even more quiet than before, and reveal even more inner details.

Even more "inner" details? It's all bloody ones and zeros. What more detail can this audiophile cable reveal, I wonder.

Still.....it's a little hard to digest USB cable at $1000+ per feet :p

For those who are looking for portable amp, which don't cost an arm and a leg and can drive even the hardest to drive headphones (Hifiman HE-500 was tested by Mike of Headfonia) + has Bass boost + user replaceable battery, check out the FiiO E11. It's very tempting, but I just got my Arrow 3G. Price - $60 only.

As of now, clieOS impressions reads "Wow", "W0000000WWWW" :p. Hopefully, he will add some other words after spending a few days with it. Seems like a great upgrade for those moving from E5 and are willing to spend 3K (considering that E7 was better as a DAC than an amp)

for a cable carrying analog signal high price is understandable ( i say "understandable" , not "justified" ) but yeah for a USB cable !!

WTH.

The vol pot pot's knob looks great ( fiio E11 ) , great price .

This maybe slightly OT but I will be in Mumbai till the 22nd of this month. So why don't we organize a meet and anyone who wants to try out the SM3, enyo tf10's or the ck10 or the Hd25-1 II's can come around. Everybody is invited!!

Also let me know if you want me to carry any other gear(d5k or the sr225) with me in a day or two, before I leave SG.

I am there !!!! :D

Should we meet at Toxics place only ?

I have really dying to hear the SM3s. They will surely be the star of the meet. :p

A small interruption in the ongoing conversation -->

I had kept myself off the GR07 since I wrote my initial impressions to purge the audio memory and the prejudiced notions that come with it.

Yesterday, I was trying an IEM medley. With Clip+ on shuffle, I was trying out all my IEMs within #10 rank (-27 to -34 depending on the IEM and the recording).

It should not be a surprise that SM3, FX700 and CK10 had the most of my ear time. CK10 required a bit of adjustment coming from mostly warm midrange IEMs. Then, I'd notice some minor details or portrayal of distance or what Joker mentioned as their "bell like clarity" (Review: VSonic GR07 - Dynamic Monitors? Check! - Head-Fi.org Community, treble section) and I'd get hooked.

Even after all these IEMs, RE-252's midrange is something I continue to like. It lasted the longest after these three until Metallica's "One" came on, which was missing the bass when drums come on. Promptly went back to FX700.

I also liked e-Q5, which got slightly less time than 252.

Moving from SM3 to GR07 did not make me feel that it's any inferior. Of course, it was missing SM3's buttery sound, but not lagging hugely in any way.

The only two IEMs (I have only 8, since DDM is Faheem's now and I don't own RE-262) that did not make the cut were ..... TF10 and DBA-02.

TF10 - because of the thick sound. Unfortunately for TF10, the second track it had to encounter was a vocal track (Tori Amos). The vocals just did not cut it for me coming from e-Q5. Went to 252 from it.

DBA-02 - Even though the midrange was warm and nice, it too lasted only a couple of songs because of the dynamic range compression. Coming from FX700, suddenly there was a huge influx of all those details in my face. Coupled with the relatively smaller sound stage, it was not a great combo. DBA always requires a few minutes of adjustment, but this time, instead of persisting with it, I went back to CK10.

Most comfortable of the bunch - CK10, GR07.

In another related news, every time I liked a classical piece and looked at the composer, it turned out to be Mozart's.

Back