Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Benny's probably your man for impressions. I have a hard time putting down what I hear into words. Dying to hear the Lavry DA11 if they have it on audition. Almost bought it when I had the EHHA........ lovely DAC, but then 2000SGD when I was unsure of my commitment to desktop rigs was far too much spend.

BTW, 15K for a return ticket if you fly out of Madras........tempting?? :p

It's just a big rumor at this point, isn't it? Did Sennheiser announce anything officially yet? I only hope they don't screw it up like HD700.

But the rumor was started by Mr. kevin Gilmore ..Here
He is not someone who runs his mouth off.

Lets see how it goes, hope they price it right ( while hoping its the best thing out there )

I just bought a beef pie .................on the way back from picking up the HE-4 :p

EDIT: The HE-4 not 400, was reading a comparison and mentioned the wrong cans!

Ritvik

congrats on the beef pie :p

would be really amusing if you post a pic of you eating the pie whilst listening to the cans in the show off section :head2:

BTW, if you got some spare time , let me know when you are back to madras . i would love to audition those and the monster miles

Sure, didn't know you wee from Madras too! I'm down in September.... on the 11th or 12th. The Miles Davis Tributes are dead, had to get rid of them. The pies gone, but these look great piano black luckily.....didn't like the blue finish on the 400s.

EDIT: Needs more power than the SR71B can offer via the single ended output. Gotta order a balanced cable asap and give this a good listen to = \

Given the crippling situation with the amp initial impressions are probably not worth paying much attention to. There's great detail, the bass slam is surprisingly strong and energetic, John Bonham's bass triplets sound better than I can ever remember. Overall I'd says the highs excel over the other details. Soundstage is smaller than I expected, but running them balanced will solve that, hoping the mids show some improvement with the cable upgrade, not that they're bad.....just expected better after the reviews.

So what do Santhosh, titana et al think.....copper or silver cables?? Thinking copper atm, but if I should reconsider then I'd love to hear from all you guys.

Yay ! Thanks pal ! cant wait to try them . Once i audition some high end gear, i would atleast stop buying sub 100 $ phones and settle with something like an ex 1000 atleast.

Right now, i have absolutely no clue to how much of an improvement a 300 $ iem or a headphone would provide in terms of sound stage . The "You are there" feel is what i am after

Yay ! Thanks pal ! cant wait to try them . Once i audition some high end gear, i would atleast stop buying sub 100 $ phones and settle with something like an ex 1000 atleast.

Right now, i have absolutely no clue to how much of an improvement a 300 $ iem or a headphone would provide in terms of sound stage . The "You are there" feel is what i am after

With ex1000 you can loose yourself in to the music. I am not sure of being there :p

With ex1000 you can loose yourself in to the music. I am not sure of being there :p

looks like you saved me 350 $ :p . going by a select few reviews, i some how got the idea that if i were to look for a spacious concert hall kinda sounding phone, ex 1000 was the one.

This is why i want to audition them and then buy.

i know sound quality is subjective, but want to ask you , of all the iem's you have owned so far, has there been any one that has given you that " you are there" feel?

how much of an improvement a 300 $ iem or a headphone would provide in terms of sound stage . The "You are there" feel is what i am after

looks like you saved me 350 $ :p . going by a select few reviews, i some how got the idea that if i were to look for a spacious concert hall kinda sounding phone, ex 1000 was the one.

I don't think that's what @mukulymn meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's what mukulymn meant.

yeah, now on second read , i realise that's not what he meant...its not just spaciousness and how open a phone sounds that contributes to getting "you are there " kinda feel. there are several other factors involved- imaging, dynamics, versatility, and the whole lot of that jazz.....

my point was , presentation is one of the aspects that i am looking for ....something with good depth , width and a 3 dimensional sound

@Ritvik , if i were to ask you the same question -- of all the iem's you have owned so far, has there been any one that has given you that " you are there" feel?

what is the first thing that comes to your mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha you'll have to elaborate a bit more. Do you mean the feeling of being at a show in the front row / at a studio recording with the band? Or....do you mean found your spot, a place you enjoy the most? Most realistic would be the JH13 by far. Most enjoyable the RE-1 by far, terrible QC issues though and now out of production, owned 3 pairs. :(

Ritvik

the first part of your post is what i was trying to get at - the feeling of being at a show in the front row / at a studio recording with the band

does it ring any bells? :p

JH13 all the way?

yeah, now on second read , i realise that's not what he meant...its not just spaciousness and how open a phone sounds that contributes to getting "you are there " kinda feel. there are several other factors involved- imaging, dynamics, versatility, and the whole lot of that jazz.....

my point was , its the presentation that i am looking for ....something with good depth , width and a 3 dimensional sound

EX-1000 is all that Jazz... at least for me. But, it is not perfect in any way. A perfect IEM is a white elephant which you can chase all life, so it's all based on where and how much you want to compromise. Imaging wise, CK10 is the best. In terms of filling the sound stage, FX700 is good. EX-1000 has been described as a "headphone like stage", though my own description would be watching a concert in a distant U-shaped stage.

You are right in that you need to try them to understand and agree/disagree with reviews. Words are not that good enough to bring out the "feel" which is why I do not try to review EX-1000 - which takes away the fun of it. That is also why I get frustrated with not being gifted/good enough to describe the exact difference I hear. It's always an approximation, an on-the-surface impression. You can substitute some of it with flowery description, but typically those can lead to more misunderstanding because of what thoughts that 'flowery' things can invoke in the reader.

Back