Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

I too have a Voodoo'd SGS and I found the UE TF10 to pair excellently. But, that is out of the range here. Out of the two, I have used M2 but not the Gr 02. M2 would do quite decently. But I didnt feel the synergy to be excellent in the short while I used it.

Ok which is more favourable for fast pace music like Trance .. Brainwavz HM5 or AD700 ?

I am currently using AD300...I am confused between the two...I am looking for the details and clarity more than the bass here..

Guys i need your suggestions

@Nalin
I am also interested in HM5 ( Specially at 99$ Price Tag) but too scared of getting lost at customs or levying duty.......pristine notes sells them but then @ ~8500.00 Rs....

Last edited by a moderator:
Nalin
I am also interested in HM5 ( Specially at 99$ Price Tag) but too scared of getting lost at customs or levying duty.......pristine notes sells them but then @ ~8500.00 Rs....

Don't worry about reliability of mp4nation since they themselves are the manufatures and also offer FedEx shipping and should deliver in 2 - 4 days and the only thing that worries me is the customs itself since it's a large box and also carries a decent weight to the shipment.About HM5 i am very tempted at the pre order price but a little confused between HM5 and AD700.I might pull the trigger tommorow.

@Nalin , the Ad700's bass is tight and fast enough, but you will find it lacking in quantity, extension if you listen to a lot of electronic music. I personally found it enjoyable with stuff like Tiesto, but again, that is only a very small percentage of my listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about reliability of mp4nation since they themselves are the manufatures and also offer FedEx shipping and should deliver in 2 - 4 days and the only thing that worries me is the customs itself since it's a large box and also carries a decent weight to the shipment.About HM5 i am very tempted at the pre order price but a little confused between HM5 and AD700.I might pull the trigger tommorow.

Don't think they manufacture anything. They seem to have a few diff OEM suppliers. Share them with Fischer by the looks of things. FedEx will handle customs, you're stuff won't get lost and MP4 nation usually undervalues the stuff they ship. FedEx used to have a clearing fee of 300 INR if I remember right.

PS - anyone interested in the new UE offerings? Look interesting, although I hope the sound signature has changed!

Don't think they manufacture anything. They seem to have a few diff OEM suppliers. Share them with Fischer by the looks of things. FedEx will handle customs, you're stuff won't get lost and MP4 nation usually undervalues the stuff they ship. FedEx used to have a clearing fee of 300 INR if I remember right.

PS - anyone interested in the new UE offerings? Look interesting, although I hope the sound signature has changed!

Does that mean if i buy from MP4Nation and FedEx will clear customs without paying anything.......was interested in HM5's...

No, it's just safe to assume that your package wont be lost/stolen.

MP4 nation will probably undervalue the package and times mark it as a sample or replacement, now this would mean that smaller items like iems will stand a good chance to get through w/o duty, can't really say for certain.

FedEx charged me a clearing fee once, was 300inr, and I had to pay customs as well on a cable from ALO audio that was not under valued

the meelectronics R1 is driving me mad. At low volumes, it sounds okay, but when you pump it up, it becomes incredibly harsh. tried on my phone and laptop.
The MP21 that i usually use on my phone remains in control even at full volume. Any idea why :ashamed:

Is it the updated R1? From Joker's review

While the original R1 was nauseatingly warm and slightly de-emphasized at the top, the new version is a bit more balanced, with prominent lower treble and more neutral overall tonality.

The upper midrange, on the other hand, is quite strident. There are noticeable response spikes, resulting in mild harshness and sibilance on certain tracks. Lower treble response is hard-edged – even more so than that of the M9 – but becomes softer and more smooth towards the top and extends higher than that of the 1st-gen R1

Probably, that is why....

I am seriously thinking on and off about quitting this hobby as a whole. It's confusing because I gravitated towards IEMs from speakers and my reasons for giving up on speakers remain as-is. In fact, the situation has worsened, so cannot go back to speakers. I do not bother that much with headphones either. At least with IEMs, I can afford to move about and do my work while headphones sort of tie me down, which I hate. Running HD600 / DT880 off portable bricks is a decent compromise, but that won't hold good if I were to buy something more demanding to replace both.

On one hand, it feels surprisingly better without stuffing anything inside my ears, on the other, I have no alternatives. So.... :23:

That would achieve the opposite. Getting customs would be like supplying drug to someone who wants to get a rehab! :p

Guess I should elaborate a bit. A hobby is something you should enjoy thinking about (and doing). It should relax you. It's a mistress to your wife of work. I think I am losing that enjoyment with IEMs.

This hobby is about two parts - music and gear. It is all about being interested in exploring both parts, getting to know newer things, evaluating them and being ready to move on to the next step if you get bored. With HT too, it's about these two parts - Movies and gear. But there, it helps that I am an average consumer and not a videophile with certain expectations. Last year, post my revamp of the setup, all irritants and shortcomings were ironed out. From thereon, it was all about content. I don't have anything to complain other than not having enough time to watch everything I want to.

While I do not expect to achieve that state of satisfaction with audio gear, I should at least NOT hate to take them out. I took a break last year too, but I had not stopped exploring gear or music. I was just happy listening to EX-1000/FX700 and others with QA350/iPod 5.5G + UHA-6S/2SD and not having to write about them. If anything, I was tired of filling out review templates and decided that RE-272 will be my last ever review on head-fi. This year, not only am I disinterested in writing about them, I am disinterested in even using them. What I am not sure about is if this will be just a phase that will go away with time. It would still help to have one foot out the door, I think!

We are sorry if we have cause any confusion on the prices. The old price was low, the new MRP is 9000/-. We have about 20 percent discount on these. The ProAudioHome prices were not updated (and it also indicated stock status at - Out of stock.) .They have been updated now.

Back