CPU/Mobo Raspberry Pi queries

Well, I just read and found out that NOOBS is just an easy way to install desired operating systems on the Pi. While following the guide, I will be installing Raspbian and then either Transmission or Deluge so I can setup my Pi as a headless torrent downloader :D

By the way, I also bought my Sony charger from Ebay, from this listing...

http://www.ebay.in/itm/131610346334?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

He's sold more than 48 of them and he also sent me an invoice, and the product seems 100% genuine too. Should I be worried? Should I call Sony CC and confirm or should I straightaway raise a claim with Ebay?

Also, do you know where can I find the list of sellers registered with Sony?
You should ask for clarification on Sony helpline itself. The seller link mentioned is someone other than the one I bought from. While the seller maintains I will get warranty, as per sony cc I won't be getting any.

Update:ebay has agreed to refund the cost for the charger.

Last edited:
You should ask for clarification on Sony helpline itself. The seller link mentioned is someone other than the one I bought from. While the seller maintains I will get warranty, as per sony cc I won't be getting any.

Update:ebay has agreed to refund the cost for the charger.

Did you have to courier the charger back to the seller? or do you get to keep the charger? :D

Did you have to courier the charger back to the seller? or do you get to keep the charger? :D
I didn't have to send the charger back.
Anyways it doesn't help because it's output is lower than the output from a 1a Pantech burst charger.

Last edited:
What is the maximum speed that you guys get when copying files via Wi Fi to Windows PC?

I get max 3MB/s and average speed is around 1.8 MB/s.

I use RPi 2 with a Tenda wi-fi adapter and Tp Link MR3020 router

What is the maximum speed that you guys get when copying files via Wi Fi to Windows PC?

I get max 3MB/s and average speed is around 1.8 MB/s.

I use RPi 2 with a Tenda wi-fi adapter and Tp Link MR3020 router
I get around 5mBps over 2.4GHZ 300mbps , using the same wifi adaptor . I think it can be increased if you have multiple NICs and use samba , this works on a PC setup dont see why it wouldn't work here .
Installed Raspbian Jessie yesterday.
Faced issues with auto starting of transmission Web UI and VNC Server on boot. Finally found a way to auto start those.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1000490#p1000490

TL;dr - Put everything inside /etc/rc.local
If systemd is implemented , then simply doing
Code:
sudo systemctl enable <service>
sudo systemctl disable <service>
sudo systemctl start <service>
Should work AFAIK .
You can use tabs to autocomplete the service name .

A bump for this thread.

Am looking at this board.

Is this the best option to set up a low powered torrent rig. I had some basic questions:

1. What type of HDDs can be attached to this device. Is it possible to attach a SATA HDD using some sort of adapter. Is their a HDD size limitation. Like 1TB/2TB. Can it be NTFS or is FAT needed.

2. What type of power source we need for this. Can an old Blackberry charger work. Not sure about the AMP rating.

3. Once the OS / Torrent Client has been installed, how many torrent files can the board handle. Asking this, because I will be seeding around 400-420 torrent files. Is there any cap limitation on this due to the board/OS and/or HDD mounted.

4. How long does a hashcheck take if the power is cut abruptly and the torrent client reacquires and verifies the file integrity.

5. Does the OS become unstable due to incorrect shutdowns.

6. What doe we use to access the client from a remote location -- i.e. within the home LAN.

7. Any other alternative (s).

8. How to get cases. Just to keep it dust free.

Thanks..!

A bump for this thread.

Am looking at this board.

Is this the best option to set up a low powered torrent rig. I had some basic questions:

1. What type of HDDs can be attached to this device. Is it possible to attach a SATA HDD using some sort of adapter. Is their a HDD size limitation. Like 1TB/2TB. Can it be NTFS or is FAT needed.

2. What type of power source we need for this. Can an old Blackberry charger work. Not sure about the AMP rating.

3. Once the OS / Torrent Client has been installed, how many torrent files can the board handle. Asking this, because I will be seeding around 400-420 torrent files. Is there any cap limitation on this due to the board/OS and/or HDD mounted.

4. How long does a hashcheck take if the power is cut abruptly and the torrent client reacquires and verifies the file integrity.

6. What doe we use to access the client from a remote location -- i.e. within the home LAN.

Thanks..!

1) Any powered external hdd can be connected directly. 2.5" hdd's have to be connected to a powered USB hub. There's no SATA port on the Pi, so you have to use a USB enclosure. NTFS and FAT both work fine.

2) For the Pi 3 you need 2.5 amps. I'm running the Pi 1 on a 1 amp charger, which isn't enough, but the system works, so I'm just letting it be.
3,4) no idea

5) Yes

6) Get a torrent client with a web interface.

7) yes - banana pi, orange pi, etc.

8) I've put mine in an old Brittania cheese box, and cut small holes for the cables. Works well, and is relatively dust free.

1) Any powered external hdd can be connected directly. 2.5" hdd's have to be connected to a powered USB hub. There's no SATA port on the Pi, so you have to use a USB enclosure. NTFS and FAT both work fine.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply..! How do you get content off the attached HDD to another source, without detaching the torrent HDD.

I use wireless lan+ samba to transfer files. It's slow, but since the pi is on 24x7 and I rarely transfer files, speed doesnt matter too much to me. The Pi's USB bus is shared with the network controller, so transfers are never going to be fast.I think the orange pi has a sata port that supports 2tb HDDs. It'll be faster, but you'd have to use an smps to power it.

I began using my Pi as a media center about 10-15 days ago. I've been using an external HDD case with an old 1TB HDD with a ton of bad sectors rescued from a WD elements case.
I decided to buy a case instead of an external hdd because sometimes the drives inside are sometimes non-standard, have encryption and may not work elsewhere if for some reason the case develops problems. The 1 tb WD HDD elements would freeze up while accessing the drive (probably because of the bad sectors) but I wasn't able to rescue any data from the drive because it was encrypted.
The same drive, now reformatted worked fine in my desktop for 2 years, and has been working fine in the external case, running 24x7 for the last 10-15 days.
I bought this one : http://www.amazon.in/Upgraded-prote...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Anything which works over a USB is fine . Might require additional power source like a USB HUB to run the HDD (totally depends on the HDD). There is no limitation over the use of NTFS/FAT.

Not very sure of Rpi 3 but used a Rpi 1 model B and a Rpi 2 , both work with a 750mA BB charger I had . But its recommended to have a 2AMP for the ones I have used . Since I now use a USB Powered hub now to run my HDD , RPI 2 , WiFi dongle , I rarely face problems . Sometimes the HDD fails to spin up [This is very rare and I hence didnt bother to solve it.]

I had around 300 torrents , didnt face any problem .

Well if you are moving your current data into the pi then I would suggest do the hashcheck on the PC and then move that config file to RPI . I use transmission , few advantages over deluge would be :
  • No hash recheck after a power failure as transmission saves its hashcheck periodically . So improper shutdown rarely effects it .
  • You can use the configuration file of the RPI to run the client on your PC to speed use data transfer and hash rechecks . Once hashcheck is done on PC you just have to plug and play . Maybe change the data directory thats all .
Hasnt happened to me so far . Yeah updating the OS might have broken it at times . I mainly use archarm or raspbian on my raspberry pi .

For Linux you can setup SAMBA/FTP. You can setup hostname on your router and RPI (like I access my pi = <pi hostname>.<local domain>) or directly via IP .
Having Samba would help you to stream on android mobiles and other PC/Laptop . Media streaming using DLNA or similar things is something I have not tried .

There are many but for your purpose RPI should do work just fine .

You have them on amazon . I bought one which cost me 500 bucks .

Hope I was able to answer all your queries to your content .

Anything which works over a USB is fine . Might require additional power source like a USB HUB to run the HDD (totally depends on the HDD). There is no limitation over the use of NTFS/FAT.

Thanks for the great answers.

What type of HDD do I need to use which can be powered externally. Or is there another option to do this: which will enable the data connection to the board, but power the USB from a different source. Not sure how this works, or can make it happen.

Thanks for the great answers.

What type of HDD do I need to use which can be powered externally. Or is there another option to do this: which will enable the data connection to the board, but power the USB from a different source. Not sure how this works, or can make it happen.
If you get those 3.5in casing, those generally come with a external power source. That should work fine. Which essentially means you will use one power supply to power up the pi and the other to power up the HDD. Now if you use an old or new 2.5in external HDD, then you might or might not require a USB hub, depends on the power you provide to a pi. Like with a 750mA adaptor, pi won't be able to power up the HDD ideally. Even with a 2amp power given to pi, a 2.5in external drive may or may not work. I have seen and experience mixed outputs. Like for me it happened so that when the drive is idle much then the pi was able to cope up with the power need, but once I did tasks like hash check, pi would fail to work and provide power to the HDD. This part of it totally depends on the power, quality of power and the HDD you use with it. The safest way would be going with an external power for the HDD and one power source for the pi.

Bump
I have some doubts,
1) Which is the best torrent client for raspberry pi according to you guys, I am currently using transmission.
2) Transmission shows port is closed even though I have enabled port forwarding on router and port forwarding option from settings via web-UI.

Thanks.

Back