CPU/Mobo Raspberry Pi queries

@jsmithe @ReVo_007

Thanks. I just realized I already have the binatone adapter with me which I bought for my desktop. I'll test it tomorrow with the Pi and then buy a new one based on it's performance.

@v.Na5h

Unfortunately wifi adapter is the only viable option for me right now. I'm connecting the Pi to LED TV for now and there is no wired connection possible in that room. So, need the wifi adapter to connect to router and access the network storage.

So, I have got the Mi charger, Micro SD card and wifi adapter. I suppose it should be enough for it to connect to LED TV. I should also buy a wireless keyboard/mouse kit.

Which distro would you guys recommend if the Pi will be used primarily with LED TV and connected to a HDD via router (for movies and all)?

You won't get a lot of speed if on nas otherwise for downloading torrents and directly having a TV setup then it should work fine. Anyway osmc should be a good alternative if you want to skip buying keyboard. In any case if you connect over network you can always connect over ssh and set up for everything else osmc should work good. You can even use your phone or the TV remote to work on it.

You won't get a lot of speed if on nas otherwise for downloading torrents and directly having a TV setup then it should work fine. Anyway osmc should be a good alternative if you want to skip buying keyboard. In any case if you connect over network you can always connect over ssh and set up for everything else osmc should work good. You can even use your phone or the TV remote to work on it.

If you want it to be just a media center, use OpenElec. Another popular distro is Raspbian.

Thanks. I have download both OSMC and OpenElec. Although I'll be using it mostly with LED TV, I would still like to have some basic OS features, including an web browser (and may be some other internet apps)?

I checked Rasphian, it seems to include a lot of stuff which I suppose I'll have to remove after installation. Or do you guys think I should go for Minibian and then install a desktop environment and other required applications? I don't mind setting everything up manually. I suppose Ubuntu Mate is another option?

OSMC looks really nice, is it something (kodi with that skin) that I can install in say Minibian too?

Sorry another question, can I test these images in vmware before installing it on the card?

EDIT: Searched a bit and I think multiple OS installation is another viable option. Since the media files are all going to be on a HDD connected to the router, I won't really need that much space on SD card. So, I guess I can partition the card and install both OSMC and Ubuntu mate on it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have download both OSMC and OpenElec. Although I'll be using it mostly with LED TV, I would still like to have some basic OS features, including an web browser (and may be some other internet apps)?

I checked Rasphian, it seems to include a lot of stuff which I suppose I'll have to remove after installation. Or do you guys think I should go for Minibian and then install a desktop environment and other required applications? I don't mind setting everything up manually. I suppose Ubuntu Mate is another option?

OSMC looks really nice, is it something (kodi with that skin) that I can install in say Minibian too?

Sorry another question, can I test these images in vmware before installing it on the card?

EDIT: Searched a bit and I think multiple OS installation is another viable option. Since the media files are all going to be on a HDD connected to the router, I won't really need that much space on SD card. So, I guess I can partition the card and install both OSMC and Ubuntu mate on it.
Last I checked, Ubuntu Mate was excruciatingly slow. Do you have the patience for it?

Watch a youtube video and you'll understand what am talking about [emoji12]

Last I checked, Ubuntu Mate was excruciatingly slow. Do you have the patience for it?

Watch a youtube video and you'll understand what am talking about [emoji12]

Well, there was some 20 minutes silent video of ubuntu, not sure if it was configuring the OS after install, didn't watch the full video. :D I guess I'll give OSMC a try tomorrow and see what it has to offer and later decide if I need to install another OS along with it. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also noticed that OSMC will soon have a desktop environment, so we will be able to switch between DE and Kodi. :)

Last edited:
The K400R is best for couch potatoes with light use of the keyboard. The touchpad is integrated with the keyboard which makes one less thing to balance when seated on a couch far away from the display. If you are doing a lot of typing you might want the MK270 or the MK345 (I haven't used either of these).

Has anyone tried cloning their fully setup OS (Micro SD Card) into another Micro SD card.
In my case it is a hit and a miss with Win32 Disk Imager, because it creates an .img file of the entire card (including the free space). Whether the destination 16gb card has the exact same space or more available is a hit or miss. For eg. the Strontium card I bought in a lightning deal had just 14.8 gb available while the Sandisk Pi image was 15.1 GB.
Is it possible to use gparted or any other GUI based partition manager to reduce the "free space" area of the image? My actual space requirement would be actually only around 8GB. At the same time, I do not want to experiment with my existing card as well as too much planning can be detrimental :)

P.S I tried rpi-clone as well, but somehow it gave a lot of errors and didn't work out.

Has anyone tried cloning their fully setup OS (Micro SD Card) into another Micro SD card.
In my case it is a hit and a miss with Win32 Disk Imager, because it creates an .img file of the entire card (including the free space). Whether the destination 16gb card has the exact same space or more available is a hit or miss. For eg. the Strontium card I bought in a lightning deal had just 14.8 gb available while the Sandisk Pi image was 15.1 GB.
Is it possible to use gparted or any other GUI based partition manager to reduce the "free space" area of the image? My actual space requirement would be actually only around 8GB. At the same time, I do not want to experiment with my existing card as well as too much planning can be detrimental :)

P.S I tried rpi-clone as well, but somehow it gave a lot of errors and didn't work out.

If you have Linux use the Rsync to clone the micro sd card i use this method to clone my sd card

Still waiting to get a good offer on a charger.

Either the Sony CP-AD2 2.1A charger or a good branded 2.5A charger.[DOUBLEPOST=1444660616][/DOUBLEPOST]It's unbelievable how NOT A SINGLE BRANDED 2.5A charger is available ANYWHERE on the internet.

I guess they don't make em higher than 2.0A or 2.1A, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
So guys after installs , setups and reinstalls , which is the best one for solely media server - openelec or OSMC or Raspbian or xbian ?
Want a simple media server for Music and videos only on local network only .
On a limited bandwidth so dont want to download all and try them out to decide

So guys after installs , setups and reinstalls , which is the best one for solely media server - openelec or OSMC or Raspbian or xbian ?
Want a simple media server for Music and videos only on local network only .
On a limited bandwidth so dont want to download all and try them out to decide
edit:deleted comment

Last edited:
Back