CPU/Mobo Raspberry Pi queries

I currently running minibian on a 64 GB Samsung class 10 card

I bought the 32 Gb Evo+, but my intention with the Raspberry Pi 2 is to only use it as a 24/7 torrent downloader. Currently, I have a Transcend 8 Gb Class 4 card in my Galaxy S3, so I was thinking of using that for my Pi 2 as am sure an 8 Gb card would be more than enough for a 24/7 torrent downloader. What do you think? Or should I use the 32 Gb card with my Pi?

Yes. I knew that resistivity increases with cable length. I don't have any other cable right now. Will have to get it from somewhere!

You are saying that you can mount your ext HDD when you use your RPi 2 with your CP-AD2 charger. Correct?

Am actually waiting for an answer to this. I have not bought a charger yet, but I would prefer to buy a charger where I don't have to buy a USB powered hub. So, should I may be buy a charger with a higher amperage?

I will NOT be using the wifi dongle as I will simply be plugging in the lan cable and connecting the Pi to my wifi router DIRECTLY via LAN. Not connecting the wifi dongle should save power, right? :)

My intended use will only be a 24/7 torrent downloader and will only be connecting my 1 TB Seagate Backup Plus 2.5" External HDD. Am sure there is no need to even keep the mouse/keyboard connected. Need to read up A LOT, I know :D

Any and all suggestions with the above are very much appreciated :)

Got mine delivered today :D

1sxkStU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,
A few questions:
1) Should we get the adhesive based heat-sink for the Pi 2 if we plan to run it 24*7 for whatever purpose. If yes, will the heatsink cause issues for the cover?
2) I am planning to use Ubuntu Mate as I am not that comfortable with CLI yet. Do External HDDs auto-mount (by default) on start-up while using Ubuntu Mate or is a separate configuration needed for it?
3) I saw that we can install Kodi in Raspbian using -apt. Can Kodi be installed in Ubuntu Mate as well?
4) Can Raspbian boot to GUI by default (startx) instead of CLI? I read somewhere up top that the latest ISO does this by default. Just needed a confirmation.

More questions to follow :)

Am still doing my research for a 24/7 torrent downloader, but I saw a youtube video of Ubuntu Mate on Pi 2 and it seemed excruciatingly slow.
Why you are looking for Ubuntu mate when you want it just for downloading the best way it works is cli the initial bit could be difficult but very simple later on.

I'm not using that keyboard but someone else was using its required only if want to save some space.

I just realised pi2 does not even has gigabit port even the cores are clocked slower than C1 don't know what kind of upgrade was it pretty disappointed though price was good

Yes. I knew that resistivity increases with cable length. I don't have any other cable right now. Will have to get it from somewhere!

You are saying that you can mount your ext HDD when you use your RPi 2 with your CP-AD2 charger. Correct?
No No , i haven't tried anything with Pi . It was a general thing for long micro usb cable which is supplied with this charger[DOUBLEPOST=1443631016][/DOUBLEPOST]Received mine
very poor packing by Amazon as everyone has posted . Mine Pi was out of packing due to movement ......
https://www.techenclave.com/communi...a-lightning-deals.176126/page-35#post-2053454

the Pi is here! #250rs
its 249/ :)
20150930_214147-1.jpg

Very poor packing though by amazon
20150930_214321-1.jpg

20150930_214336-1.jpg

Am still doing my research for a 24/7 torrent downloader, but I saw a youtube video of Ubuntu Mate on Pi 2 and it seemed excruciatingly slow.

I haven't used my Pi in a while but I installed Ubuntu Mate on it and then switched to LXDE. So, you essentially get a ARM v7 distro with a light weight desktop that runs quite fast. I had tried downloading torrents using the Pi and found it couldn't utilise my bandwidth (50 Mbps) completely and was just a little faster than my router (AC68U) when in fact my desktop was capable of offering near-complete utilisation for the same torrent. But, I suppose Pi is fit for the purpose considering the resources it consumes.

Why you are looking for Ubuntu mate when you want it just for downloading the best way it works is cli the initial bit could be difficult but very simple later on.

I'm not using that keyboard but someone else was using its required only if want to save some space.

I just realised pi2 does not even has gigabit port even the cores are clocked slower than C1 don't know what kind of upgrade was it pretty disappointed though price was good

Lol, am not specifically looking for Ubuntu Mate. I was just replying to that post where he was asking whether anyone used Ubuntu Mate. I just saw the video out of curiosity when I saw the words "Ubuntu Mate" :p

I haven't used my Pi in a while but I installed Ubuntu Mate on it and then switched to LXDE. So, you essentially get a ARM v7 distro with a light weight desktop that runs quite fast. I had tried downloading torrents using the Pi and found it couldn't utilise my bandwidth (50 Mbps) completely and was just a little faster than my router (AC68U) when in fact my desktop was capable of offering near-complete utilisation for the same torrent. But, I suppose Pi is fit for the purpose considering the resources it consumes.

Well, I only have a 2 Mbps connection (max 256 kbps) with frequent torrents that are being cached by btcache (max 12 MBPS actual transfer speed). Nonetheless, even if Pi downloads at whatever it's capable of, it would still be a whole lot cheaper for me to run it 24/7 compared to my rig :D

Now, I can finally download those 50 gb torrents without thinking about electricity bills :p

You should have witnessed networking section we have been doing this for 4 years old

I knew yaar but never could afford it. Why do you think I bunked my college to get this deal :p I already knew we could do this with the Pi :D

Got mine as well, waiting for the MicroSD bought from deal and Pi case
Which MicroSD did you get? The Sandisk one or the Samsung one?

Samsung - have a soft corner for Samsung memory products - @ 679 - that was good deal from Amazon.in
Good that you did. I bought the same, but there is vast difference between both. Samsung was the Evo+ which had comparatively MUCH HIGHER read/write speeds than the Sandisk one that was available. Read the reviews for more info :)

I also found out that for using it as a 24/7 torrent downloader, even an 8 gb card would be more than enough, hence am gonna use the Evo+ in my phone and move my phone's 8 Gb Transcend Class 4 to the Pi :D

I also have this HDMI to VGA converter http://www.ebay.in/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-...lt-Chip-Cable-for-HDTV-Monitor-/261516648036? but am yet to test it with the Pi. Will post back in a bit if it works or not. The key is to look for active HDMI to VGA converters rather than passive. Apparently the one I linked to has a chip in it that does the conversion but will have to test and see.

I can confirm that the HDMI to VGA converter linked above works with the RPi2.

I am using these cases for the Pi2's I have:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Raspberry-Pi...e-enclosure-/121758153829?hash=item1c5959fc65

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ORIGINAL-RAS...RPi-Model-B-/281741036031?hash=item41991309ff

Back