Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

On the plus side, it is faithful to the original which was also a snoozefest with great visuals for its time.

It is basically not your type of movie then. That's a better way to put it. As for me, I love slow brooding films. This one was very similar to Drive though that one had way more deep meaning in every scene.

But Villeneuve is a mixed bag for me. I kinda liked Sicario, fell asleep in the theatre watching Prisoners, was disappointed (very high expectations based on the hype) with Arrival. But absolutely loved Enemy.

It's the opposite for me. Loved Sicario and Prisoners and think Arrival is pretty much the best sci-fi movie in recent times.
But couldn't make heads or tails out of Enemy. I watched it on Star Movies Select which means some important bits might have been censored out rendering the movie nonsensical, but yea, don't know...

I am not very intelligent.

Pretty sure it's just people having different tastes man, nothing to do with intelligence.

That said, i would rather not watch a movie than watch it on Indian tv.

That part was in jest, seeing as how the movie genuinely made me feel stupid. Literally have no clue what happened.
I've read all sorts of explanations online, most are ridiculous.

Almost felt like I was watching a David Lynch movie which I avoid like the plague; the man is insane.

Haha, Lynch sure is insane. I have a hard time sitting through some of his stuff too. Trying to watch the old twin peaks so i can get to the new season and i keep falling asleep every single episode.

And yeah Enemy was a bit Lynch-esque but i liked it.

Coco (2017) - 8.3/10
A very well done movie. It took em 6 yrs to make this, and they have done justice. Visually brilliant, and emotionally touching.
Movie encompasses some fine details of the Mexican traditions and doesn't just touches upon them. A couple of instances which felt like low effort, but other than that, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Def a movie to take the family along for. Watch it at the halls people, and give the (dark) 3D a skip. IMAX/Lie-Max worthy stuff.

[PSA: Avoid the preceding 'Frozen' short movie. Check on your mobile phone being on silent or not, reply to any urgent or even non urgent messages, grab some popcorns.. spill some popcorns and get the container refilled. The 30 mins of this short movie are just not worth it.]

Mukti Bhawan AKA Hotel Salvation [2016] - 8.1/10
What starts off as something very dry eventually turned into a very satisfactory project. People in India must have had been touched by the whole life-death-moksh concept, but for a movie to finally tackle it with oodles of subtle comedy thrown around is a very welcome development. The movie benefits from some brilliant acting by the main and the supporting cast. The whole subject has been treated adeptly imo.

The Wizard of Oz [1939] - 8.5/10

The tag of classic is there for a reason. Acting, singing, fantasy.. everything clicks. Was worth waiting for this one's screening. The fact that this was made ~80 yrs back made me wonder how could it be that other countries could not be inspired and expedited their own ways of doing things.

Bridge of Spies [2015] - 8.1/10

Tom Hanks' stamp of class and content remains consistent. The vintage times have been depicted quite nicely. The whole sentiment of a guy doing what a guy had to do without letting the family get a whiff of the harshness was satisfying.

Kaze no tani no Naushika AKA Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind [1984] - 8.3/10
The barbies and the disney princesses can take a hike. Nausicaä is the real deal!
Coming even from a non anime fan, this movie is very impressive. For something done in 1984, it is def top drawer stuff. Anime genre be kept aside, anybody with a liking for Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Adventure should check it out.

Last edited:
Watched 'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets' - okayish. 6.5/10.
Visually quite good. That virtual market scene nicely done.
Story wise, so-so, predictable.

Just saw The Florida Project. 9.5/10
IMHO this is the best movie from 2017 followed by Mudbound.
The last scene will move you to the verge of tears if you have even an inkling of a soul.

I don't get the accolades being showered upon Ladybird which seems like a bog-standard Murican teenager emo drama but then again I thought that Wonder woman was nothing special.Maybe its the Weinstein effect in full force this year.

But I can bet that Disaster Artist will clean up during the awards season.Hollywood loves movies about movies.(Yes La La Land I am looking right at you)

Haha, Lynch sure is insane. I have a hard time sitting through some of his stuff too. Trying to watch the old twin peaks so i can get to the new season and i keep falling asleep every single episode.

And yeah Enemy was a bit Lynch-esque but i liked it.

Lynch and his stuff, need a different frame of mind. Honestly, I am not a fan of TV series, but absolutely just loved Twin Peaks [original]. It is highly abstract and surpasses the normalcy of mere rational. Lynch stuff has to be watched alone -- because most people will either: Not understand, or interpret it in varying different perspectives. Lynch always gives a strong representation to his female characters. Kind of like Hitchcock.

Just saw The Florida Project. 9.5/10
IMHO this is the best movie from 2017 followed by Mudbound.
The last scene will move you to the verge of tears if you have even an inkling of a soul.

That last dialogue was incredible but the last scene was a bit too unsubtle. Great performances all around but the director seems to be very good at bringing out great natural performances from untrained actors. Played to fairly empty theaters but I guess this is the kind of movie that would make money through dvd and netflix than the box office. It is my favourite Hollywood movie from last year as well.

Before I Wake (2016)
Surprisingly well made 'feel good' horror.

It's been a great past few years for horror fans; The Witch, Conjuring, It Follows, Babadook, It, The Witch (deserves to be mentioned twice)...

2 movies I re-watched recently -

Chotoder Chobi (2014)

A must watch Bengali movie about people who suffer from dwarfism. How they are type-casted by the society and options available to them are so limited that by the end it almost feels like a curse and a guilt to think that if one person suffers from dwarfism and marries someone else with it they will procreate and bring in someone else in to this world who will suffer the same plight and may be solitude is the best option for them.

Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983)

This movie can only be described as a masterpiece of dark comedy. Parallel cinema (Art Film) a genre which is now non-existent were known for being serious but this satire highlights a lot issues related to corruption while making you laugh. It is on Prime Video and is a must watch if you have prime access.

Back