Real Time Strategy Game suggestions please...

Neo-N

Skilled
Need suggestions for RTS games.

These are for a friend who is NOT a Gamer. He needs it for casual play as he saw Warcraft at a friends place and took fancy to it. :p

System Config:

AMD Athlon II X2

AMD Radeon 2100 integrated graphics :(

3GB DDR3 RAM and Windows 7

Please suggest RTS games that would run at playable resolution on this config as he doesn't want to upgrade 'just for playing games'... :lol:

TIA

Warcraft is one, Age of Empires series, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, Sins of a Solar Empire

These are the games with which I started gaming, hopefully that non-gamer friend would be a gamer by the end of these games. I still play these games with friends as I find RTS to be one of the best multiplayer games.
You could also suggest him DotA, its a custom map for Warcraft: The Frozen Throne, one of the most addicting and fun to play multiplayer games I've ever played. There are some other relatively recent RTS's too but that wont run on that config.

Mephistopheles said:
These are the games with which I started gaming, hopefully that non-gamer friend would be a gamer by the end of these games.
Hahaha!!! No he won't. He is a Chartered Accountant aged 32 who knows nothing over or above the balance sheets. In fact the fact that he asked me for games surprised me!! :p

BTW, thanx for the suggestions. Hope they run on his config.

Tell him specifically to play Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne's campaign, the story is really good. The best out of all the other RTS's

Im eagerly awaiting Warcraft 4, I do not understand why Blizzard got so interested in WoW :mad:

^^ Are Warcraft III Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne both standalone games?? I mean, can one play both independently of each other??

I have played Reign of Chaos for a little while and I liked it. But I am not much into RTS and these days not much into gaming!!

And I think WOW gets more revenue for Blizzard... If I am not mistakes, it is pay per play or something like that, isn't it??

Note: This is Post # 1234 for me. It is unique and never gonna come back... unless I take inspiration from Gannu and go on till 12345!! :p

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne is an expansion pack for Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos, it has its own campaign (which continues the story from Reign of Chaos)

Yeah, WoW is more profitable but still they could have released a Warcraft 4, its been frikking 8 years now!

Mephistopheles said:
Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne is an expansion pack for Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos, it has its own campaign (which continues the story from Reign of Chaos)

Yeah, WoW is more profitable but still they could have released a Warcraft 4, its been frikking 8 years now!
SO that means I'll have to have installation of both Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne to be able to play Frozen Throne, right??

:)

Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge old RTS games but i find them really fascinating with those US-Russia cold war, nuclear weapons etc...really addictive for first time gamers .. :p

AoE II - Best RTS game ever, played over 1500 hours of that beautiful game, can never forget it :)

OT - l33t_5n1p3r_max is banned? What did he do?

^True that! I had played AoE after completing AoE II and the expansion packs. Needless to say that was a very bad move but still loved the game. AoM and the expansion pack was pretty good too. I built my Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology basics from this very game. Awesome OSTs as well. Can never forget those days. :D

If the OP's friend had a decent GPU, I'd have recommended LOTR: BFME and BFME II. Else it doesn't make sense. Both the games are heavily GPU dependent.

Aman27deep said:
l33t_5n1p3r_max is banned? What did he do?
Must have garnered enough infractions. :p

nehaladsul said:
Need suggestions for RTS games.

These are for a friend who is NOT a Gamer. He needs it for casual play
I would say ask him to stay OFF RTS games unless he wants to lose interest in his Balance Sheets.

A much better choice for Casual play would be games like Zuma, Bejeweled etc. You cannot put RTS in Casual category :p

I will always recommand AOE II. It is the best RTS in my opinion.

CNC:Tiberian Sun and AOM and EmpireEarth series can be furthur the fun too.

Settlers IV is good too. (i love the geologists.)

Thanx to all...

Had a query:

Will Starcraft II run on the system??

This video has it running on a P IV with HD 3850 AGP... :p

Back