Recommend me an IEM for 7-8K

titana said:
Phonak PFE 122
This looks like it is having a very good fit and comfort by many reviews. May be coz they are made by a company with hearing aid manufacturing experience. Anybody here owns it?

Mine is PFE 111 v0. However, I think slightly better build quality (and cable?) are the only differences between 1X1 and 1X2 versions.

Unlike other IEMs, I always need to turn them around a bit to see "L" and "R" markings. Other than that, once they are in, there are no comfort issues. They are even more comfortable with the Comply foams. But as with everything, YMMV :)

But it must be said that this is my ONLY IEM without any microphonics whatsoever.

^ By microphonics He means the weird sound you get when the cables of earphones rub against your clothes or body . Its not very noticeable in entry level IEMs but present in most of the mid-range / high end IEMs. Usually using a shirt clip or routing the earphones over the ear helps attenuate microphonics.

Wasn't phonak supposed to be launching some new earphones? one's with bass tuned filters which you could swap out with the filters from the original PFE's to get a more balanced sound signature..

Phonak PB's they are called, I think (PB = Perfect Bass). Also, these are supposed to be around $110-120/-

^ Yes, it's just a green filter.

Phonak PFE PB is available on this site for 80 GBP. Same as PFE1XX series, except with minimal packaging and green filters.

@bublez,

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

Ultimately the fit and seal in an IEM comes down to the individual's ear - shape, size, bends, oddities etc.,

I am using PFE with grey filters, which give it a balanced sound. They also shipped with black filters, which are supposed to have better bass - never tried them. I'd say it's bass, even with the grey filters, is good enough for me. It has quality (clear and not intruding upon mids), but it does not have the slam / punch you might expect for electronica, hip-hop etc., Sometimes, with a good seal on odd days, I feel it has enough bass (enough quantity), on other days not. It's much like RE-0 - a bit on the analytical side. But, it's mids are forward just about right for my taste - not in your face, not recessed. Soundstage - I'd say is normal. Though I've not done proper A/B, I'd say that RE-0 does well in one dept - I can hear each pluck of the guitar in an acoustic passage. However, PFE trumps it on being easier to drive (RE-0 does need an amp to bring out it's best) & better to use (no microphonics). Sometimes, I felt that sibilance is more (the sibilance is present in the recording itself) with PFE than RE-0, though I am saying this based on my subjective, forgetful audio memory.

I got it from null-audio, Singapore. He ships to India, though it might cost an additional Rs. 700 or so last time I checked. He also stocks the original PFEs, which have this issue of breaking up under sweat (mine is one :(). But then, he is just a student :p (Currently, they are all out of stock)

Back