[Recommendations] Metal/Rock [All sub genres]

Anybody tried Storm Corrosion (Steve Wilson + Akerfledt)?

From what I have read so far, it may not appease fan of either band and is more experimental.

Very underwhelming. imo both guys are well past their prime at this point
sad.gif

Mikael's clean singing has become insufferable since watershed. The first and last tracks are the better than the rest though that's not saying much.

Good news! It looks like progressive/tech metal band Textures is coming to India!!

Just hoping they get gojira and Protest the Hero with them and contemporary tech metal is taken care of.

Meshuggah may be the pioneers of their style of music, Textures is extremely enjoyable and easy to get into.

Recommended tracks from their recent 2 albums.

Silhouettes -
Storm Warning
Awake
Laments of an Icarus
State of Disobedience
To Erase a Lifetime

Dualism -
Arms of the Sea
Reaching Home
Consonant Hemispheres
Singularity
Minor Earth Major Skies

Firstly, many thanks for this thread. It's quite difficult knowing what new music one could try when you are the only headbanger amongst your friends.

Don't think these have been mentioned earlier-

Circus Maximus, Vanden Plas, Dream Evil, Hammerfall. Not too sure about the genres but I believe the 1st 2 are Prog Metal, & the latter Power Metal.

Links to songs- [So you'll can check what they sound like]

Circus Maximus - Why Am I Here - YouTube

Vanden Plas - Nightwalker - YouTube

DREAM EVIL - The Book Of Heavy Metal [Live] - YouTube

HammerFall - Stronger Than All - YouTube

Here is my contribution to this thread, really lost track of this. Thanks for reminding <i><b><a href="http://www.techenclave.com/member.php?u=39781" target="_blank">quixand</a></b></i>.

One of my first forays into depressive and folk-metal --

Source --> Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion - YouTube

Source --> Agalloch - The Hawthorne Passage - YouTube

A band I recently picked up, thanks to friends --
God is an Astronaut

Source --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMEGJ-Jk58Q

Source --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVH6t7nwfc4

@ALPHA17: What's Depressive metal??!!

I cannot really spell-it-out for you, the experience will be much more informative. Listen to AGALLOCH albums like THE MANTLE and ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN.

For more conventional Rock / metal that is depressive in nature you can always hit KORN.

Last edited by a moderator:
This new band has some mellow-me-down tunes.

Has created quite a flutter on this site I follow for new music.

I do not dig the vocals a lot, the chants and bass work well.

Do check them out.

Band: Om
Album: Advaitic Songs

sputnikmusic.com/review/51084/Om-Advaitic-Songs/

I cannot really spell-it-out for you, the experience will be much more informative. Listen to AGALLOCH albums like THE MANTLE and ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN.

For more conventional Rock / metal that is depressive in nature you can always hit KORN.

Man! I'm getting too old for this S**t, :).

Never thought there'd come a day when people listen to music 'coz they like that it's depressing, :p. As for me, I'm happier with metal tunes which you can dance to!

did anyone get a chance to listen to the new moonspell album?
they have outdone themselves. the complete album is amazing.

worthy of album of the year for sure. both discs are brilliant.
disc 1 is more heavy vocals like the older albums and disc2 reminds me of darkness n hope and sin pecado

Moonspell - Alpha Noir - Omega White

Moonspell - Axis Mundi - YouTube

Pretty mediocre in my book. Not much variations even in their albums. Likeable on first listen but doesn't hold for longer listening.

Do not know, I enjoy them. Make me drowsy for some reason.

Anyways this is the perfect time for some Perfect Circles --

P.S. -- me thinks that Mynard did a better job on this cover than John Lennon did with the original.

And this is a original I enjoy more than its cover by the legend, Johnny Cash --

Back