Red Faction: Armageddon - Discussion Thread

Gannu said:
Btw Allwyn did you see Red Faction: Origins? Seems like it was released sometime back.

It may be a while before I get my new net connection in place. Will have to make do until then. :'(

I got hold of Origins. It's supposed to bridge the gap between Guerrilla and Armageddon. Didn't get time to watch it though. :(

Ethan_Hunt said:
Play the game. It has gone against any Red Faction game you have played before.
Is it still open worldish like the first one. Why are people calling the survivor horror. Is it..?

It's completely linear and the reason why it's being called as "survival horror" is because, the environment and the enemies you mostly encounter are of the alien species. Check it's video review, if available, and you'll know what you're dealing with.

Started the game yesterday evening. Seems like Allwyn was right after all when he mentioned the game belonged to the survival-horror genre. There are certain elements of horror in the game and the protagonist treads the path mostly through the dark while encountering these non-human creatures. Gameplay is largely linear unlike the last title which was sort of an open-world game with non-linear gameplay allowing the player to complete any amount of objectives before he racks up the points. GPS is a good addition and ensures the player doesn't get lost. Arsenal is pretty good too - I end up using the assault rifle, charge thrower and the shotgun mostly. Getting into the Mech suits are cool. The usage of Havok physics in the game is mind-blowing! Just like the previous title. Anything can be beaten into a pile of rubble and can even be repaired back into its original shape. Some structures require repairing before the game can be progressed and is well indicated in the HUD with proper distance from the player.

I somehow loved Guerilla over this one. Or maybe I haven't got into the core of the storyline as yet. Couldn't play much due to certain other engagements yesterday. Seems like a short game though. In less than 2 hours, the game completion showed 20%.

viralbug said:
2 hours=20%, 10 hours=100%. So pretty average I guess.
Not really. Completed the game in a second sitting in less than 5 hours. :p

The campaign is too darn short. I'd still vouch for Guerilla over the sequel. The linear gameplay probably spoiled the fun for me. The other title OTOH being open-world gave the player with plenty of options to choose and explore, complete the side missions and challenges which were absent in this title. Moreover, this one seemed to resemble the Dead Space series in a lot of ways - exploring dark areas mostly, player/weapon upgrades, encountering alien creatures over human NPCs, finding the path using GPS etc. The ability to use the Exosuit, the Flyer and the Walker was pretty good though - I loved those sequences wherein the player has to control these machines and blow up stuff. As expected, the game nears the completion with a couple of boss fights and repairing the terraformer back into action. A sequel may be due later.

Good game nonetheless. :)

Ethan_Hunt said:
Last but not the least, Kara was HAWT!

Too bad they killed her. :(
Oh yeah, she definitely was. Really felt bad for her. :'(

Darius being the grandson of Alec Mason and Samanya, I thought maybe this time Darius and Kara would. :ashamed:

I hope Origins spills some backdrop of how Kara met Darius and Hale's devious plans. I could only find some vague info about them on the loading screens, which wasn't much of a revelation.

^Haven't seen Origins as yet. :ashamed:

Will do so this weekend. That should definitely bridge some gaps.

Got the game.Really great gameplay, overall graphics atleast up-to-date.Started the campaign on hard mode:alucard: The AI is really impressive.Completed 26% within 3 hours.It won't last very long, i guess. :(

jojothedragon said:
Completed 26% within 3 hours.It won't last very long, i guess. :(
Yep it's a pretty short campaign. Not to mention it isn't an open-world game. :)

Done with infamous 2?

THQ abandons Red Faction franchise

THQ has pulled the plug on its Red Faction franchise following poor sales of RF: Armageddon.

Speaking at an investor call today, CEO Brian Farrell confirmed that "we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way."

He added that the development team at Volition has been moved onto Guillermo del Toro's inSane survival horror project.

The series began back in 2001 as an FPS on PC and PlayStation 2, with a formal sequel following on a year later. Red Faction: Guerrilla switched to a third person perspective in 2009, picking up a sturdy 7/10 from Eurogamer.

Red Faction: Armageddon, released last month, matched that score but, as revealed earlier today, failed to do the business at retail.

Source: THQ abandons Red Faction franchise News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Too bad. I enjoyed Armageddon. :(

Back