Refrigerator energy consumption

^ can you recheck the compressor warranty for samsung? Im looking for fridge of 1 recently and I recall every samsung had 1 year comprehensive warranty and 10 year compressor warranty

btw love kelvinator. we had it for 8 years running without a hitch.

My LG gave up after 17 yrs as well. Their seems to be a short somewhere in the wiring as I am getting 310V at some points whereas it should be 230V. That made the compressor give way. It is still running, but the compressor cuts out way too often after becoming hot.
I am replacing the compressor. Have already replaced the evaporator fan motor. Will also be replacing the condenser fan motor which had apparently been kaput for a long time. We will be providing external wiring for wherever the voltage is faulty. Total repair cost will be around 6k including compressor, gas and repair charges. Hopefully the money is not wasted. Similar 340L refrigerators cost in the 30-35k rangr so repairing is definitely a better option than replacing at the moment.

^ can you recheck the compressor warranty for samsung? Im looking for fridge of 1 recently and I recall every samsung had 1 year comprehensive warranty and 10 year compressor warranty

btw love kelvinator. we had it for 8 years running without a hitch.
Ours is much older . 48 yrs. I suppose i should be happy it lasted this long

samsung warranty.JPG

Heh, looks like the amazon description i read was incorrect. If it has an inverter compressor then its 10 yrs otherwise it is 5 yrs.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/warranty

click on home appliances, stupid website does not allow direct links

Heh, they've upped the washing machine warranty on their front loaders to 36 months since Jun 15.

Last edited:
Over to Bijli bachao

When i look at their single door pick by samsung i'm amazed at how similar the layout is to our present kelvinator. Even the curved door has a retro look from the 40s.

samsung single door_.jpg

The repair guy was referring to this kind of fridge I think. With knobs & manual defrost.

^ yeah, samsung also gives 10 year warranty on AC compressor iirc. the kelvinator we had, had no problems. We were shifting to new home and dad got a new fridge along with other new appliances.

48years old kelvinator. do you have any pics of it? I'm exactly half its age heh.

I also zero-ed in that exact samsung model you posted. 192liters 5star inverter ac for ~16k.

48years old kelvinator. do you have any pics of it? I'm exactly half its age heh.
kelv ratings.jpg kelv one.jpg kelv two.jpg kelv three.jpgkelv four.jpg

Consumption is around 2.3 units per day. When the compressor starts up it has a starting current around 2kW that would trip most home inverters.

I also zero-ed in that exact samsung model you posted. 192liters 5star inverter ac for ~16k.
They want a bigger freezer. When i mentioned it had a manual defrost there was a big collective groan.

Last edited:
Well in terms of build quality of those plastic trays, the samsung is better compared to Lg. The converting of fridge <->freezer is a bonus. Some high capacity models even have the option to shutdown the compartments.
The samsung I have at home is now close to 5 years old and with fridge<-> freezer convert option and its working just fine. I don't think there will be any issues in fridge.

I had a 165l fridge since 1981-2011 it had one or two compressor changes. Replaced with a 343L panasonic and now for the other floor in 2015 we got the 320l samsung.
The thing is once you get a big fridge even it will run out of space.

So looking at your old fridge and they way its stacked, I would say get a 320l or more.

I have this Haier below model bought around 2016 and is working very well. This bottom mounted freezer is very useful as there is more space for veggies and fruits on top. It had a 4 star rating but seems now it has been reduced to 3 star. Also think before you buy the convertible model as when I checked with the sales person at that time he told the conversion takes very long time and most of the items inside gets soggy. I got it for around 31K through local purchase.

https://www.amazon.in/Haier-Refrigerator-HRB-3654PSS-Stainless-Freezer/dp/B0752J4LYV

Bottom mounted freezer is the best, that's the reason I bought the Panasonic build wise better then most of other fridges. I didn't want my mom to bend down to access the vegetable tray.

Now it's too expensive due to higher import duties and currency exchange rates. Hence bought the samsung with the convertible fridge for the other floor.

Whirlpool service will be an issue compared to the korean companies. I was forced to repair my FL whirlpool washing machine after the service center out right refused to even have a look at it.

I have the LG 260L model that I purchased last year. Basically this model (but no WiFi): https://www.amazon.in/LG-Frost-Free-Double-Door-Refrigerator-GL-N292RDSY/dp/B07PB5FTYG/ref=sr_1_12?fst=as:eek:ff&qid=1557506952&refinements=p_89:LG,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:1480499031&rnid=1480495031&s=kitchen&sr=1-12

My apartment is a 2BHK and though I cannot provide a breakdown, these are the appliances we have apart from the refrigerator: Induction cooktop, Samsung Microwave, Samsung LCD 32', LG Front load washing machine, Aquguard RO + lights, fans etc.. Total units consumed was 120 last month and the total bill was ₹384.

So I can say that the Refrigerator, the only appliance that runs 24x7, consumes much less energy than early non-inverter models.

The only issue I have with the fridge is the lack of door shelf on the bottom which I did not notice in the store.

120units and such a small amount? My 120unit costs me 1k bill.
In which part of country you reside?

i wonder if his discom charges less than Rs 2 a unit. That 384 will include GST and other taxes and electricity distribution, FAC and meter rental charges too.

btw, anyone knows what the star rating standard runtime hours for refrigerators are? For AC it is 1600 hrs I think. I've looked at those star rating stickers of many fridges and most just say under standard test conditions. Knowing that number will let us know which 5 star fridge consumes even less energy compared to other 5 star rated fridges.

Example for a 5 star rated ac - it might say it consumes just 892.32 units per year whereas standard test conditions are for 1600 hrs = 66.66 days. 892.32/1600 = 0.557 unit per hour. This figure is easier to calculate usage per month than the per year figure they advertise.

https://www.amazon.in/Voltas-Inverter-Split-Copper-SAC_185V_ADS/dp/B07NZ17WP4

Edit: Searched the web and found two pdf's stating test period for fridges is for 24 hrs only.

https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.15750.2006/page/n27

So if a fridge (like the one linked below) consumes 194 units per year, then its just 0.53 units a day.
https://www.amazon.in/LG-Refrigerator-GL-I292RPZL-APZZEBN-Inverter-Compressor/dp/B01DM8HR1Q/

Last edited:
Real world power consumption varies with ambient temperature amount of times you open the fridge and what temperature you want to maintain. In the samsung when there is nothing in the freezer I convert it to fridge. The hottest temperature option in fridge is 7c and coldest temperature is like 1c, where as the freezer works its hottest -15c to -23c coldest, so when its set to fridge mode the compressor consumes less power, even though it's inverter its Off for the majority of the time during night when I usually get to know by the sound of the compressor.

More then the compressor consumption, the highest power consumption I get is by the coils melting the frost.

Well in terms of build quality of those plastic trays, the samsung is better compared to Lg. The converting of fridge <->freezer is a bonus. Some high capacity models even have the option to shutdown the compartments.
The samsung I have at home is now close to 5 years old and with fridge<-> freezer convert option and its working just fine. I don't think there will be any issues in fridge.

I had a 165l fridge since 1981-2011 it had one or two compressor changes. Replaced with a 343L panasonic and now for the other floor in 2015 we got the 320l samsung.
The thing is once you get a big fridge even it will run out of space.

So looking at your old fridge and they way its stacked, I would say get a 320l or more.
So I looked at the LG 335 Lt & the Samsung 345Lt. After measuring the dimensions I found the freezer of both is just 50% larger and the fridge space increases by a mere 15%. This will not feel like an upgrade at all. So i went larger

The LG 420 Lt & the LG 437 Lt and think it will be one of these two but cannot decide which is better. Even though the 437 says 3 star on LG's website, in the shop i saw the model they had was a 4 star. Both are 2019 models or at least that's what the BEE sticker says. Now freezer space doubles and fridge space increases by a third. This is a visible improvement.

The 420 has no wifi or dual fridge function but the shelves seem better laid out. But it has a light that comes from a wall at the back of the fridge. Can't decide whether i like this better than top lit.

The 437 has a touch panel on the outside and has wifi. More electronics to go wrong i suppose. Dual fridge. It has a light located at the top in the fridge.

Both models have a light in the freezer which is a bonus.

My constraint is i need a fridge with a locking feature so the Samsungs with a stainless steel finish are out. WTH Samsung (!) the only locking models they have are ones with flowers on them.

This also applies to Bosch too. Saw this nice bottom freezer model. Interesting is the usable storage compares well to the LG's. I was ready to consider this Bosch model but no lock :( They even have double door models but again no lock.

It's possible to stick a lock on like this but i don't think its worth it.

Last edited:
BEE 3 and 4 star models from LG, GL-T432FASN / FBLN both are 233 units 4 star. While the FPZU is 3 star, 291 units. All of these have 403l volume.
They have another model GL-D432ADSU which is 3 star, 293 units but is bigger 410l.

Get the model with a top light, many times I have to switch on the room light to see inside the freezer, both my fridges don't have a light in the freezer, which I feel is a must.

I guess they dont have a 4 star with stainless type or similar.

What is the use of a lock, never used them in my old Godrej?

If you look at bottom freezers types, you get more useful volume in fridge compartment.
Which still is better compared to convertable fridges interms of ease of use, everything is in eye level.

Wifi in a washing machine sure, but in fridge it serves no pratical purpose.

Last edited:
BEE 3 and 4 star models from LG, GL-T432FASN / FBLN both are 233 units 4 star. While the FPZU is 3 star, 291 units. All of these have 403l volume.
They have another model GL-D432ADSU which is 3 star, 293 units but is bigger 410l.

Get the model with a top light, many times I have to switch on the room light to see inside the freezer, both my fridges don't have a light in the freezer, which I feel is a must.

I guess they dont have a 4 star with stainless type or similar.

What is the use of a lock, never used them in my old Godrej?

If you look at bottom freezers types, you get more useful volume in fridge compartment.
Which still is better compared to convertable fridges interms of ease of use, everything is in eye level.

Wifi in a washing machine sure, but in fridge it serves no pratical purpose.
Confusing isn't it. The shiny steel variant is a 3 star whereas the black & copper variants of the same model are four star.

The 420 litre steel model is a four star but i'm thinking now to go one step bigger to 471 Lt model now.

https://www.amazon.in/LG-Frost-Free-Double-Door-Refrigerator-GL-T502FASN/dp/B07P6R7P6N
https://www.lg.com/in/refrigerators/lg-GL-T502FASN

We're used to a lot of clearance with the first shelf and the 437Lt model seems cramped below the pull out tray. I'd say that first shelf is the most used shelf.

LG 437 Lt_LI.jpg LG 471 lt_LI.jpg

The layout of the 437 & 471 is less cluttered than the 420 too.

By back lit vs top lit watch see this, They have the 470 model. Or this

Notice the difference in lighting in the fridge section that is backlit vs the more uniform look in the freezer section that is top lit ?

The 437 Lt & 471 Lt are top lit in both freezer & fridge sections. Another useful feature is both have temperature settings on the door itself so no need to poke around inside.

I've seen the 437 Lt in shops already. I''l try to find the 471 Lt model.

The lock is for those few times when we have help that 'helps' themselves from the fridge. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

Last edited:
If you are looking to invest so much, do also take a look at some Industrial offerings. I bet you can find some 600L options between 60-80k. They will however be without a freezer section. Good thing about them will be easy repairability and much more sturdier components. They also come with a flexible rack system.

Back