CPU/Mobo Reliable Motherboard for 5600X

eTernity2021

Disciple
what would be the best MOBO for 5600x, in B550 and x570, coz, AMD is exhibiting age old problem called Melt-down and certain premier mobos have negative reviews, so anybody please post which MOBO is working without issues, and the brand has kept its promise like all the peripherals like NIC, ETHERNET, USB, USB 3.2 GEN 2 are functioning as expected and the temps are at check and throttling.

Any x570 would be great fit for the 5600x . I've been using it with msi x570 unify and it's exceptionally good . As for the more affordable x570 like aorus elite they are also good for their price .

B550 Tomahawk is one of the best for the price.
If you need 2x gen4 ssd slots, then go with X570.
Only downside to B550 Tomahawk is the number of USB ports at the back. Otherwise, solid board with top notch VRM power delivery.

Depends on your budget and the features you want/use. I've MSI B550 A Pro and am satisfied. It can take an overclocked 5900x if I remember correctly. If you want WiFi, 2.5G LAN, better audio, etc there are more expensive options like Tomahawk, Aorus, Gaming Edge.
One thing I wanted was a board that sacrificed SATA ports instead of PCIe when the second M.2 was used, but settled for A Pro anyway. I may not even use the 2nd PCIe.

what would be the best MOBO for 5600x, in B550 and x570, coz, AMD is exhibiting age old problem called Melt-down and certain premier mobos have negative reviews, so anybody please post which MOBO is working without issues, and the brand has kept its promise like all the peripherals like NIC, ETHERNET, USB, USB 3.2 GEN 2 are functioning as expected and the temps are at check and throttling.
Have msi x570 tomahawk, gigabyte aorus pro b550 and msi b550 gaming edge WiFi mini itx. All three are working fine with newish bios. Zero problems.

First of all thanks to the Mods for moving this topic into a UNIQUE one. Thanks to @Hrishikeshk , @napstersquest , @Trdz , @roofrider , @Chaos for posting such a positive reply which gave me breathing space to choose one..

The common factor i found in all of your post is MSI TOMOHAWK and GB AORUS lines, tks guys. ... and of course i have my eyes on ROG STRIX E as well.

None of you are worried about this https://www.techspot.com/news/91024-meltdown-like-vulnerability-disclosed-amd-zen-zen-2.html
Any comments about its effect on the common people.

B550 Tomahawk is one of the best for the price.
If you need 2x gen4 ssd slots, then go with X570.
Only downside to B550 Tomahawk is the number of USB ports at the back. Otherwise, solid board with top notch VRM power delivery.
For all the x570 tomohawk supporters/users, Tomohawk x570 Heating Issues, this was posted on Mar 2020, Hope this issue has been resolved in the current releases.

Moreover does B550 Mobos are capable of 5600x overclocking,? does it seriously allow it or not,? as i know x570s allows OC to its best.
AUDIO ALC 1200/ALC 1200VB

Please post the audio effect of ALC 1200 or ALC 1200VB meaning how satisified are you? is it any better then their predecessors like ALC 8XX series,
What is the difference of a Mid-tier ALC 1200 than humongous ALC 1200. any difference u sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moreover does B550 Mobos are capable of 5600x overclocking,?
I clocked my 3900X on B550 Tomahawk to 4.3 @1.34V on all 12 cores if you want to know. RAM at 3600MHz 14-14-14-34 (Samsung B-Die) and Infinity fabric at 1800. As good as it can get.
VRM Temps under 56C at all times under prime95 small FFTs.
Please post the audio effect of ALC 1200 or ALC 1200VB meaning how satisified are you?
I use the B550 Tomahawk with Steelseries Arctis 3. No issues so far, fully satisfied, although I am not an audiophile.

For detailed OC performance, specifically related to if VRM can deliver the power without throttling, you might want to check out the VRM Tier List. It is in no way the only thing you should consider while choosing a motherboard. Like you said, if the audio codec matters to you, Strix B550-F would be better option than B550 Tomahawk even though it is a tier below in the VRM Tier list.
I went with the B550 Tomahawk because it was way cheaper than the Strix when I bought it, and the VRM mattered more to me than the slight Audio Codec and USB ports difference.

The aftersales services for Gigabyte and MSI in India have gone to shit after the pandemic hit. Hence, I went with ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING. It was a little bit costlier than its other counterparts, but it's a rock solid board and looks gorgeous and has great software, like Armoury Crate.

Chipset has no effect on overclocking. Even a decent B450 board can overclock a 5600x and maybe even a 5900x (PBO) with decent cooling. Would suggest not splurging on x570/s if you won't need the extras it offers.

Chipset has no effect on overclocking. Even a decent B450 board can overclock a 5600x and maybe even a 5900x (PBO) with decent cooling. Would suggest not splurging on x570/s if you won't need the extras it offers.
Gigabyte x570s ud well priced .checks all the boxes . Comes with ryzen 5000 ready bios . Some older b550/x570 came with older bios .it could not detect a 5000 ryzen chip, needs a manual bios update via flashback button . Something you should know

I couldn't agree more with you regarding chipset not being the overclocking factor, but B450 boards were designed for a specific price point, and at that price point, manufacturers generally don't include good power delivery etc.
So yes X570 vs B550 not much difference in overclocking performance, so Buildzoid's verdicts should be considered objectively while deciding the best board for overclocking.

My takeaway?
B550 Tomahawk, Strix, Tuf -- good value for money.
X570 ACE, Unify, Crosshair, Aorus Master - best overall
X570 Tomahawk - if you can afford it and need X570, very very good price to performance + features.

X570S - not worth it in my opinion, but Tomahawk and Torpedo have different looks for same performance minus a few features. Same VRM.

but B450 boards were designed for a specific price point, and at that price point, manufacturers generally don't include good power delivery etc.
Not every board is good yeah, but Tomahawk Max, Mortar and similar can handle it.

My takeaway?
B550 Tomahawk, Strix, Tuf -- good value for money.
X570 ACE, Unify, Crosshair, Aorus Master - best overall
X570 Tomahawk - if you can afford it and need X570, very very good price to performance + features.

Unify, Master and the likes are way overkill for a 5600x, they cost more than the processor. Maybe an option for those with 5900x/5950x and high-end systems. A 12k no frills board like the one I have is capable enough for OC, but if more features are needed something in the 15k to 17k/18k range is good.

None of you are worried about this https://www.techspot.com/news/91024-meltdown-like-vulnerability-disclosed-amd-zen-zen-2.html Any comments about its effect on the common people.

Any thoughts about the above negative thing bros!

is there a difference between 8+4 pin CPU power socket and the simply 8 pin CPU socket regarding the POWER DRAW? coz, i found these differences in many boards?

I clocked my 3900X on B550 Tomahawk to 4.3 @1.34V on all 12 cores if you want to know. RAM at 3600MHz 14-14-14-34 (Samsung B-Die) and Infinity fabric at 1800. As good as it can get.
VRM Temps under 56C at all times under prime95 small FFTs.

I use the B550 Tomahawk with Steelseries Arctis 3. No issues so far, fully satisfied, although I am not an audiophile.

For detailed OC performance, specifically related to if VRM can deliver the power without throttling, you might want to check out the VRM Tier List. It is in no way the only thing you should consider while choosing a motherboard. Like you said, if the audio codec matters to you, Strix B550-F would be better option than B550 Tomahawk even though it is a tier below in the VRM Tier list.
I went with the B550 Tomahawk because it was way cheaper than the Strix when I bought it, and the VRM mattered more to me than the slight Audio Codec and USB ports difference.
Nice links towards VRM Tier list and others. tks

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a difference between 8+4 pin CPU power socket and the simply 8 pin CPU socket regarding the POWER DRAW? coz, i found these differences in many boards?
If you are overclocking 5950X/3950X with extreme cooling like LN2/Dry Ice.
One 8-pin EPS connector with the wiring is good for 235Watts of continuous power, provided the PSU allows that much draw.

For the 5600X, no problem.
Using my 3900X, I can draw 175W sustained on prime95 small FFTs on B550 Tomahawk (Single 8-pin EPS) paired with Cooler Master V850 SFX. No shutdowns so far.

Back