Replacing MOBO - Possible Upgrade Suggestions

Jaskanwar Singh said:
@Marcus Fenix

gtx465 is crap buddy.. too hot and mostly performs lower than gtx460.

smcinternational has whole g.skill range at excellent prices.

@Deepcee

more ram can always be bought later..get x6 first.

Yeah I meant that as an indicative of stock MSI GTX 460 price as they had only GTX 460 Cyclone .I meant to say you can find a msi gtx 460 at less than 12k not 13.8 k as suggested before.The ram is crucial.

But I think it's better to buy x6 now and increase RAM later.(he has been working with 2gb anyways)

Again it' totally upto you.If you can spend 1k more go for x6,880

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Jaskanwar Singh said:
@Marcus Fenix

@Deepcee

I know gtx 465 is inferior to gtx 460.I meant it as an indicative of what MSI gtx 460 stock costs as SMC only had the cyclone edition.Hades said 13.8k for the stock edition MSI but I meant to say that it will be around 11.5-12k considering gtx 465 is 12k and cyclone is 12.8k

yeah.Spend 1k more and get x6 and 4 gb minimum(if not plz go for proccy first.you can save and buy a 2gb ram later but can't change ur proccy from 4-core to 6-core:p)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Jaskanwar Singh said:
@Marcus Fenix

@Deepcee
I know gtx 465 is inferior to gtx 460.I meant it as an indicative of what MSI gtx 460 stock costs as SMC only had the cyclone edition.Hades said 13.8k for the stock edition MSI but I meant to say that it will be around 11.5-12k considering gtx 465 is 12k and cyclone is 12.8k
yeah.Spend 1k more and get x6 and 4 gb minimum(if not plz go for proccy first.you can save and buy a 2gb ram later but can't change ur proccy from 4-core to 6-core:p)

Marcus Fenix said:
I know gtx 465 is inferior to gtx 460.I meant it as an indicative of what MSI gtx 460 stock costs as SMC only had the cyclone edition.Hades said 13.8k for the stock edition MSI but I meant to say that it will be around 11.5-12k considering gtx 465 is 12k
A typo mistake:p... I wrote just gtx 460 instead of "MSI GTX 460 HAWK Talon Attack" which is selling for $214 in U.S..

@deepcee

Yeah buy x6 first but if u can spend more 1k then buying 4GB RAM now wud b worth the extra money... As the prices of rams are low now ;)

Hades. said:
A typo mistake:p... I wrote just gtx 460 instead of "MSI GTX 460 HAWK Talon Attack" which is selling for $214 in U.S..

@deepcee

Yeah buy x6 first but if u can spend more 1k then buying 4GB RAM now wud b worth the extra money... As the prices of rams are low now ;)
That's the case then :p

MSI gtx 460 HWAK TALON is 13750 shipped at smc

Two questions now

1. Had a friend of mine tell me he had blue screen issues with the 1055 and Black Edition. I'm guessing this has to do with faulty RAM he bought and not with the processor itself. Thoughts?

2. Does the 1055 actually support RAM @ 1600?
AMD Phenom

Support for unregistered DIMMs up to PC2 8500(DDR2-1066MHz) and PC3 10600 (DDR3-1333MHz) – AM3

Increased budget a bit. I'd rather get the good stuff than not.

Marcus Fenix said:
Hmm the phenom supprots 1600 Mhz ram on certain chipsets.If you buy the MIS 880GMA_E45 it supports 1600 Mhz only on OC.So 1600 Mhz Gskill will run at 1333Mhz at default.The BSOD is definitely due to RAM
Check this out
MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
What about the GA 880GM UD2H though?
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3)

I guess I'm good to go. Thinking of picking up this RAM kit.
G.SKILL-Products

Ok then. I'm going with the X6, the 880GM UD2H and the Gskill CL9 1600 kit.

If all goes well I will be picking them components tomorrow :)
Will drop by again if I have more questions.

Deepcee said:
Ok then. I'm going with the X6, the 880GM UD2H and the Gskill CL9 1600 kit.

If all goes well I will be picking them components tomorrow :)

Will drop by again if I have more questions.
Yeah no problem... We r here to help u ;)

Is it wierd that I got a quote for the Corsair 4GB kit to be 500 cheaper than the Gskill kit?

I'm heading there again tomorrow. Will double check but I'm pretty sure it was a Corsair XMS3 1600 4GB kit.
As far as performance goes...better/as good as Gskill CL9 1600?

I have two options so far, Corsair or GSkill. The prices for the Mobo and X6 were cheaper by 100-200 cheaper than the estimate here.

If cheaper by 500 bucks go for Corsair.I don't think u would notice much of a performance difference.besides you have the splendid
Corsair warranty to fall back on.

Deepcee said:
Is it wierd that I got a quote for the Corsair 4GB kit to be 500 cheaper than the Gskill kit?

I'm heading there again tomorrow. Will double check but I'm pretty sure it was a Corsair XMS3 1600 4GB kit.
As far as performance goes...better/as good as Gskill CL9 1600?

I have two options so far, Corsair or GSkill. The prices for the Mobo and X6 were cheaper by 100-200 cheaper than the estimate here.
Isnt cheaper means merrier :D GSkill RAM prices are cheap from SMC, Dehli as they are national distri for GSKill. But shld be higher elsewhere and thats the reason i guess.
What are the quotes u got for the proccy, diff. mobos and RAM.

DarkAngel said:
Isnt cheaper means merrier :D GSkill RAM prices are cheap from SMC, Dehli as they are national distri for GSKill. But shld be higher elsewhere and thats the reason i guess.
What are the quotes u got for the proccy, diff. mobos and RAM.

:D yeah guess u are right DarkAngel but in case of most people when it comes to RMA it's easier to deal with the local dealer rather than ship it to the online shop for replacement
BTW quotes for h/w plz

I got a price of 3300 for the Corsair Kit and 3800 for the Gskill CL9D 1600 Ripjaws.
3000 from another place for the Corsair kit again. He didn't have Gskill. Prices of Mobo and X6 are posted above ^

Again...the stability issue guys. Tweaking required for getting the RAM to run stable to 1600.
Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with changing the RAM timings so will need help with that if it comes down to it. I'd rather not have to deal with it though.

Go for 1333Mhz Ram then and save even more as u are not a crazy oc'er for which u need high speed RAM's If u plan on a mild OC u have a BE proccy:D

One of the guys there suggested buying the old Processor, Mobo and Ram for a price.

He said he'll take all 3 off my hands for 2500. An E6600, XFX 680i LT and 2GB (1GBx2) 667Mhz DDR2 RAM.
I feel like I'll get shafted for that price. lol

What is the current market price for an E6600 anyway?

Deepcee said:
One of the guys there suggested buying the old Processor, Mobo and Ram for a price.

He said he'll take all 3 off my hands for 2500. An E6600, XFX 680i LT and 2GB (1GBx2) 667Mhz DDR2 RAM.
I feel like I'll get shafted for that price. lol

What is the current market price for an E6600 anyway?
E6600 is EOL now. U can sell the E6600 for ~1.8k in the forums. The RAM would fetch ~1k-1.2k and the mobo ~1.3k(not sure abt this). Better put ur query in here --> http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/how-much-can-i-sell-thread-147733-129.html

Seems a bit off the topic but I think there was an article on bit-tech last week pointing memory prices will keep falling in Q1 2011 as there is huge surplus.

Back