Storage Solutions Require a general knowledge about SSD TBW life

raman.bhadu

Market Restricted
Disciple
I have purchased a SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB. The guy from whom I bought this said that he doesn't have a PC as he sold everything so was to unable to provide me health report about TBW of drive so I thought it would be around 10-20 TB but when I received the SSD I found out it 34 TB. This SSD has 75 TBW official life. I want to know if I only use this to be my Windows 11 drive how much time will it live. Please people who have been using SSD as their operating system drive share their
1 SSD Size
2 Year of usage
3 Uses case as what number of things are installed in ssd
4 TBW used by the windows in that time

It will help me as well as a lot of people.

I have purchased a SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB. The guy from whom I bought this said that he doesn't have a PC as he sold everything so was to unable to provide me health report about TBW of drive so I thought it would be around 10-20 TB but when I received the SSD I found out it 34 TB. This SSD has 75 TBW official life. I want to know if I only use this to be my Windows 11 drive how much time will it live. Please people who have been using SSD as their operating system drive share their
1 SSD Size
2 Year of usage
3 Uses case as what number of things are installed in ssd
4 TBW used by the windows in that time

It will help me as well as a lot of people.
Ask for a complete refund from that guy first of all as he lied to you quoting false excuse.
If its under warranty get it replaced.

It'll be fine. The 75 TBW limit is for warranty purposes. Often the actual endurance far exceeds that. According to this AnandTech article, the 250GB 850 Evo can handle around 500TBW before being unable to write new data.

It's like a car warrantied for a certain number of kilometres or years (whichever is reached earlier). Most of them will work long past that mileage anyway.

How much the windows will use with only the chrome for internet and movies download through the torrent app saving to the HDD

Very little, I have an 850 Evo which was used as my games drive in a PC for a year and then in my father’s laptop for another 5 years or so. His usage is mostly browsing, office docs, media consumption and presentations. I’ve attached a photo of the current disk stats.

For your use which is similar, it’ll outlive the rest of your system or even the next one. The capacity will become an issue for you long before the SSD dies.

Attachments

• C8F053E7-1D2C-4F53-AD92-4F7293C20E73.jpeg
    C8F053E7-1D2C-4F53-AD92-4F7293C20E73.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 92
Very little, I have an 850 Evo which was used as my games drive in a PC for a year and then in my fathers laptop for another 5 years or so. His usage is mostly browsing, office docs, media consumption and presentations. I’ve attached a photo of the current disk stats.

For your use which is similar, it’ll outlive the rest of your system or even the next one. The capacity will become an issue for you long before the SSD dies.
Thank you for your help. I was thinking that the torrent will buffer the data in the operating system drive which in my case is the SSD and then will save the data to final destination which I have selected HDD.

Usually default behaviour is to save directly to the specified location in most torrent clients.

I use QBittorrent and in it, temporary location, final location, preallocation etc can be specified in settings. But they are all off by default. I save directly to HDD and turn on preallocation to avoid disk fragmentation.

Torrent never does that data buffering in system drive thing, at least that's what I've seen. Once you set your download location in a torrent and start it, you should notice it creating those files there immediately.
One thing I would suggest is that you should move the default Downloads folder location in Windows to your HDD (like D:\Downloads). So that even large direct HTTP downloads don't eat up on SSD life.

FWIW, I don't have the stats on hand but I can upload a screenshot later today, I have a trusty 120gb Samsung 840, it has been in my friends Win 7 laptop, been in my Gaming PC and now currently in my NUC and it's close to 6 years or maybe more. Last I checked it was 91% health and is working perfectly find.

Samsung wouldn't replace it even if you asked. That disk is working fine. Don't worry about the TBW.

It will last for many years unless you're writing TBs of data to it every month.

Torrent never does that data buffering in system drive thing, at least that's what I've seen. Once you set your download location in a torrent and start it, you should notice it creating those files there immediately.
One thing I would suggest is that you should move the default Downloads folder location in Windows to your HDD (like D:\Downloads). So that even large direct HTTP downloads don't eat up on SSD life.
Correct!
Thank you for your help. I was thinking that the torrent will buffer the data in the operating system drive which in my case is the SSD and then will save the data to final destination which I have selected HDD.
Depends on how the client is configured. I use utorrent and saves some temp junk in userdata on C drive and rest partial/fully downloads in designated drive/location.

Correct!

Depends on how the client is configured. I use utorrent and saves some temp junk in userdata on C drive and rest partial/fully downloads in designated drive/location.
I don’t know about the configuration of the client. Please if you can help me with QBittorent.

I am using Samsung 850 evo 256 gb for os only. Please give me some tips to minimise the writing on ssd for daily browsing online watching a lot of videos online. No gaming or production just web browsing and online videos like YouTube.

Back