Revanced: possible successor to vanced utube

Not sure whether off-topic. Any reliable tool to download from YouTube in Windows 10 or Ubuntu 22.04?
If you are ok installing a larger app (size and memory wise) check out Jdownloader which is a general purpose downloading tool.
https://jdownloader.org
I've been using Jdownloader for the past several years. It supports downloading from youtube among many other sites. It's a java based tool and have used it both on Windows and Linux(raspberry pi). It also allows you to download audio only variants, different video variants for a youtube video. Have found it to be a versatile tool and it also have an active user community around it.

Attachments

• Jdownloaderscreenshot.png
    Jdownloaderscreenshot.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 100
I think it might take a while before all original YTvanced features are been ported to Rvanced.
Glad someone has taken up this project.
So instead of complaining or rushing in, give that community some time.

So, I finally gave up using original Vanced and switched to Revanced.
The thing with Revanced is you have to build your own APK and that might be an issue for some people here including me.

For this I have come-up with a solution this weekend since I had some spare time.
I have setup a Github pipeline to do this task weekly for patching official Youtube stable releases. This may or may not be a stable patch since Revanced patches only supports/targets a certain version of the APK.
So I also have setup a pipeline to build an officially supported stable version of Youtube with the patch.

1665327502182.png

1665327607176.png

1665327614462.png

It supports building for magisk module and a no-root version for stock/no-root users like me.

Codebase is intentionally private since I don't want Google to DMCA my account. It's happened before.

I used to be a person who wouldn't use Android phones without root since Adblock was a must but pi-hole has taken that responsibility now. So I just use clean custom ROMs without root.
Anyways, I digress... I'm quite happy with the result and if anyone wants the APKs (no-root) to use I have uploaded the officially supported stable versions patched on zippyshare.

Pre-requisite (Vanced Micro-G) if you want Google account sign-in.
Youtube Revanced and YoutubeMusic Revanced (all available patches applied): https://www47.zippyshare.com/v/lxIYDCKv/file.html
Update 10/10/22: Youtube: https://pixeldrain.com/u/Cs6ikEWL - generated with "useful" and needed patches only. No Update needed for Music app.

Updates for the future versions I won't post manually regularly like this way. Below is a possible solution I have in mind...

I could perhaps upload and set it up for public use on a throwaway account if anyone's willing to create one for me and provide the credentials.

Last edited:
I use Revanced Manager on the Android device itself. Takes less than 2 minutes to apply the patches and generate the signed APK (from the latest YT APK on APK Mirror) on a Snapdragon 865 Plus, but it would not take several minutes more on any low-end device.

I use Revanced Manager on the Android device itself. Takes less than 2 minutes to apply the patches and generate the signed APK (from the latest YT APK on APK Mirror) on a Snapdragon 865 Plus, but it would not take several minutes more on any low-end device.
Yes, the app is in early alpha development stage. Thing is, there are a lot of variables for this to work.
People need MicroG installed, their device has to be compatible, the APK of youtube they're using currently has to be supported by Revanced and with all these requirements met even then the patch process may or may not work for them.
Many comments on youtube videos with people saying not working for them (crashing/failing/bad patch etc) but working for some others.

My goal with the build automation in a controlled environment was exactly that it builds a supported patched APK without failure for both rooted/non-rooted devices using the latest sources from revanced-patches repo.
I'm not the kinda guy who likes using mobile phone for development tasks. Maybe that's the future but I'm so not ready for it.

Yes, the app is in early alpha development stage. Thing is, there are a lot of variables for this to work.
People need MicroG installed, their device has to be compatible, the APK of youtube they're using currently has to be supported by Revanced and with all these requirements met even then the patch process may or may not work for them.
Many comments on youtube videos with people saying not working for them (crashing/failing/bad patch etc) but working for some others.

My goal with the build automation in a controlled environment was exactly that it builds a supported patched APK without failure for both rooted/non-rooted devices using the latest sources from revanced-patches repo.
I'm not the kinda guy who likes using mobile phone for development tasks. Maybe that's the future but I'm so not ready for it.
Automation is always good. Of course, Revanced Manager will not go to the step of downloading the APK itself as it will then create issues.

Presently, the supported versions are displayed only after selecting the app, but may be in the future that information will also be made available upfront in the app so people can DIY. Always give the latest version a go or otherwise fall back to the supported version.

Always give the latest version a go or otherwise fall back to the supported version.
That's what I'm doing in my automated builds, generating patched APKs for both.
And surprisingly none of the patches are failing. I tried a latest beta version of youtube and one of the patches failed for removal of shorts button.

That's what I'm doing in my automated builds, generating patched APKs for both.
And surprisingly none of the patches are failing. I tried a latest beta version of youtube and one of the patches failed for removal of shorts button.
Observation is that applying too many patches causes issues even with the recommended versions. Limiting to the ones related to ads and playback work even with the latest versions.

Observation is that applying too many patches causes issues even with the recommended versions. Limiting to the ones related to ads and playback work even with the latest versions.
Good idea. Right now I'm applying all the patches which are applicable (default behavior). I'll reduce them to what are needed + what I feel are useful.
Suggestions welcome.

EDIT: https://pixeldrain.com/u/Cs6ikEWL v17.36.37 generated with "useful" and needed patches.

@lockhrt999 if you're using previous one I'll advise update and clear data/cache on the app.

Last edited:
Do you feel any disadvantages or limitations (I am still able to use Old Vanced app) didn't updated it or removed it and it works as expected.

But if I erase my device, I must need to switch to something else. So I am just asking if you feel any drawbacks on Revanced.

Do you feel any disadvantages or limitations (I am still able to use Old Vanced app) didn't updated it or removed it and it works as expected.

But if I erase my device, I must need to switch to something else. So I am just asking if you feel any drawbacks on Revanced.
Advantages are that Vanced only blocks video ads. Other ads are still there. Other than that there's a lot that Revanced does like bringing some old youtube features back (dislike count, quality selection etc) and adding additional functionalities.
More importantly it has sponsor-block which can skip certain video segments where the creator advertises sponsor segues. This is community created I think so can be a hit or miss depending on video popularity. Works well on channels like Linus Tech Tips.

Whole list of features can be found here: https://github.com/revanced/revanced-patches/blob/main/README.md#-comgoogleandroidyoutube

1665506166571.png

Click on "Details"

Back