[Review] : Short review of The Buffalo WCR-GN N150 Wireless Router and Access Point

So finally here is my first review on TE.

Well the heavy rainfall and hartal have given me enough time to write a review on the Router I have been using for the last 2-3 months. The entire review is based upon my personal experience with the router over the aforementioned time period.

The Buffalo WCR-GN N150 is an entry level and low budget a Wireless Router and an Access point that I purchased from dvdstoredelhi off eBay for around Rs. 950 (applying coupons).

So here starts the review

SPECIFICATIONS: (As specified on the Box)

Wireless LAN Interface

Standard Compliance: IEEE802.11n Technology, IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.11b

Transmission Method: Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS), OFDM

Frequency Range:2.412 - 2.462GHz (Channels 1-11)

Transmission Rate:Max 150Mbps (802.11n mode)

Security:WPA2-PSK (AES, TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP

Wired LAN/WAN Interface

Standard Compliance: IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u

Speed and Flow control: 10/100Mbps (Auto Sensing)

Number of LAN Ports: 4 x RJ-45 (Auto MDIX)

Number of WAN Ports: 1 x RJ-45 (Auto MDIX)

Other

Dimensions (WxDxH): 118 x 23 x 104 mm

Weight: 144g

Power Consumption: 5.8W (Maximum)

Operating Environment: 0-40°C, 20-80% (non-condensing)

Power Supply: External AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
  • Supports WDS to increase coverage with optional Repeater. This is fully compatible with 802.11n/g/b devices from other vendors.
  • Automatic channel support selects the best available Wireless networking channel.
  • Easy set-up with Airstationâ„¢ One-Touch Secure System (AOSSâ„¢) or WPS
  • 2 Year Limited Warranty.
Form factor & Visual details :

The router is small and compact and is milky white in colour. It comes with a stand so that the router can be positioned in an upright position.

IHSwl.jpg

On the front side of the router there are LED indicators for

1. Power,

2. Security protection indicator (ON or OFF ) via two colour indication,

3. One for Wireless/Access Point (ON or OFF),

4. one for Router mode,

5. and another for DIAG (I don’t know what that means but when it turns from RED to GREEN during boot up the router is completely functional).

SyjOA.jpg

Cc0Tn.jpg

QmAbe.jpg

On the back side of the router are

1. Airstationâ„¢ One-Touch Secure System (AOSSâ„¢) or WPS button.

2. 4 Ethernet ports for LAN

3. 1 WAN port

4. Power socket

RYaz6.jpg

KYUve.jpg

On the top of the router is an adjustable antenna that can rotate 90 degrees in one plane and 360 degrees in another plane.

LBYaY.jpg

BzEUF.jpg

KwCup.jpg

RezBd.jpg

There is a reset button available on the bottom side of the router.

Dpxtr.jpg

Setup:

The setup is fairly simple with the Installation guide CD that comes in the box

An overview of installation via the guide CD aka Air Navigator

MdMr6.jpg

7F8Zu.jpg

IIhf7.jpg

BZOnY.jpg

M35DL.jpg

The router also comes with a easily manageable and user friendly WEB UI

An overview of Web UI and network setup via Web UI:

It’s very easy to configure the network settings from the web UI.

D28bV.png

The Setup Tab gives easy setup Wizards for network configuration and also gives options to change the functionality of the Airstation from Router to Bridge mode.

Bn8zS.png

The Internet Tab allows to setup for internet connectivity for all modes and it’s so easy for anybody to setup Internet connection.

I use Static IP for connecting to college LAN and use PPPOE with BSNL at home.

5hC6K.png

I also tried the Airstation in Bridge mode (as well as in router mode and set it to Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCP Server) for relaying MTS MBlaze Internet from my friend’s laptop (gateway) via Windows ICS to other computers.

The Router also has the Dynamic DNS service (though I have not tested it).

Wireless Tab
offers various options to configure the wireless functionalities of the Router such as enable/disable additional SSIDs, AOSS and WDS features.

DIMkl.png

Security
Tab has access to firewall and IP filter configurations.

LBp05.png

LAN Tab
has options for DMZ, UPnP, and our favourite Port Forwarding

CBwbk.png

Admin Config Tab
offers features such as NTP settings, Restore to factory default settings. It also gives options to save configurations in a file and restore to it whenever anything goes wrong.

KZp8p.png

Regular diagnostic tools like ping, packet info and client monitors are also present.

0iuFr.png

Range:

The range of the router is quite good and it covers about most of the hostel side area I reside. I don’t know how to express the range so tried to make images of wherever near the Wi-Fi signal can be felt. Every dimension shown in the diagram is a near approximation. Red star is router location and Green boundary is where the signal is received. Tested with my friend’s Mac book Pro, Nexus S and my Blade.

PLAN VIEW

Ejq7B.jpg

SIDE VIEW

2e4Li.jpg

File copy speeds:

File copy speeds are very good over wired LAN and give about 10.5 – 11.5 MBps copy speeds for small as well as large files and folders.

UOZ6R.png

The copy speeds suck when it comes to Wireless. An average speed of 5-6 MBps is observed while copying files (about 650 MB) from Goflex Net while sitting at 8-10 ft away from the router. I never witnessed anytime the copy speeds reaching even 8 or 10 MBps over Wi-Fi (whatever be the range). This surely does not justify its N Technology with 150 Mbps speeds.

File copy over Wi-Fi

0xsqb.png

Folder copy over WI-Fi

FfjOa.jpg

However it streams most of the 720p movies that are in college LAN. But I doubt this router can stream any True HD movies like huge 720p and 1080p rips.

The Bad part :

The router sucks at file copy speeds and to add to this the router suffocates for large file transfers.

I have observed several times that when I keep large file copying like some series (say Naruto or Dexter) from college LAN I am unable to open Internet . Also during the copying process the router fails, resets and reboots and it’s kind of annoying.

Couple of days ago after such two or three stress work for router it started to reset at times of power failure. So when power is gone or I turn off the router it gets reset to factory defaults. Don’t know why but I did a hard reset using the button at the bottom of the router and everything is fine now.
The Verdict:

This router is cheap and good if your usage is minimal like for browsing and Wi-Fi for your Android/iPhone or other gadgets and some mild gaming. For a sum of 950 bucks you can’t expect more from this device.

If you are looking for a router for backups over Wi-Fi, Extreme gaming and streaming HD content this is not the router that should be on your list.

Please do not hesitate to point out any mistakes (this is my first review and I can learn from mistakes). Your suggestions, personal views about the product and experiences are always welcome.

Feel free to ask any doubts and questions.

Re: [Review] : Short review of The Buffalo WCR-GN N150 Wireless Router and Access Poi

nice review dude, one question does it work with bsnl simultaneously as a wifi and modem(internet to pc thru lan)...

Re: [Review] : Short review of The Buffalo WCR-GN N150 Wireless Router and Access Poi

nice review mate, and for 950 bucks, its a steal!

Is the GUI a DD WRT customised version?

vivek.krishnan said:
nice review mate, and for 950 bucks, its a steal!

Is the GUI a DD WRT customised version?

yes.. most of the Buffalo routers come with a customized DD-WRT
gREen said:
nice review dude, one question does it work with bsnl simultaneously as a wifi and modem(internet to pc thru lan)...

This is just a wireless router and needs a ADSL modem to work with the BSNL connection.

Good review mate. What are the hardware specs of the same? Can it be configured to work as a repeater/AP ? Planning on one of those to extend the wireless range.

dOm1naTOr said:
Good review mate. What are the hardware specs of the same? Can it be configured to work as a repeater/AP ? Planning on one of those to extend the wireless range.

This can be used as an access point and also supports WDS

This is just a wireless router and needs a ADSL modem to work with the BSNL connection.

Is there any option which has built in adsl modem with wifi

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

gREen said:
Is there any option which has built in adsl modem with wifi

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

Well there are lot of threads in the networking section

check these results and you can find all suggestions for all manufacturers and budget ranges.

Well personally i suggest you not to buy a ADSL modem + router as the BSNL guys will try to blame the issues on your device if there exists a problem in connection

^^ thnx, will check it out...

I have a WHR-G300N an older one without the external antenna. Have it for nearly 3years. Payed a bomb compared to present rates.

For me the router is quite stable. Hardly have had any problems. Wireless range was quite pathetic till I switched to DD-WRT. Now its pretty fine after some tweaks.

Quite a few things were broken in stock firmware. Couldnt get port forwarding to work till I found it does not. Switching to DD-WRT solved everything.

Help please. Router is stuck in diag mode.

LED lights in "on" are Power and Diag (both steady lights). Others are not "on". Before this happens, Ive successfully configured the router and its working (including internet). I tried to unplug and replug the router for testing stability, but then lights are stuck (Power and Diag LEDs are "on").

I also tried restarting the router but then I still have the same problems. Any advice? Thanks.

Bought couple of months ago.. extremely unhappy

I recommend not to buy the router for following reasons:

1. The router cannot open half the sites.. for example.. timesofindia. little debug and it tells me that it is unable to download any certain css.
2. It has a tough time opening mobile sites.. m. on my iphone.
3. can't connect to appstore using my phone.
4. Service is pathetic, around one and half months couple of mails back and forth, problem is not solved and worse even no one from the support cares to respond any more since they don't have solution.

The only reason i brought this was because it was cheaper, i had a belikin router earlier and it stopped working after 3 years.

But seriously for few hundreds more.. belkin is a lot better product, at least i never had a problem opening a site.

Back