REVIEW: SoundMagic PL-21/MP-21

[FONT=&quot]SoundMagic PL-21 / MP-21 Review.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Little Background :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A few years back when I had just started my journey of attaining audio nirvana in the form of portable setup ,finding a ‘value for money’ IEM with exceptional sound quality in India was almost impractical. There was the mighty EP-630 which was everyone's favourite, Other than that the only additional options we had were a few Sony, Philips lineup which really didn't sound all that great, barring a few models; ofcourse, Sennheiser was available as well and had a price tag which would empty your wallets.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Something that is reasonable yet truly magical in terms of Sound was missing until people started talking about a company called SoundMagic whose flagship model- the PL-30 took all the IEM lovers and audio enthusiasts on head-fi by surprise. An IEM costing just about 25-30$ and sound comparable to twice-thrice it's price.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It didn't take much time for Sound magic to come up with more VFM options like PL-11,pl-12 etc and soon they were selling on TechEnclave like hot cakes. The dealers here on TE took notice of this new craze for IEMs and we guys were bestowed with a variety of options from new brands, ranging from budget IEMs to the best of the top tier universal IEMs .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Introducing the SoundMagic PL-21 and MP-21.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Among all the brands available today ,Soundmagic still remains one of my most recommended personal choices as it is one brand which consistently delivers the best possible musical earphones for each price bracket.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Today we have a look at yet another new budget offering from SoundMagic -the PL-21 and the MP-21.With the MP-21 which is a PL-21 with an additional mic, Soundmagic has targeted a new segment of buyers -iphone and mobile phone users.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Basically the PL-21 & MP-21 are the same IEM with the exception of an added microphone on the MP-21 for receiving calls and music controls on iphone.[/FONT]

finaltk.jpg

[BREAK=Specifications]

[FONT=&quot] These specifications are common for PL-21 & MP-21.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Driver: 9mm Dynamic

Impedance: 12 Ω

Sensitivity: 97dB±2 dB / mW @ 1kHz

Frequency Response: 15Hz~22kHz

Plug: Gold-plated L-shaped mini plug (3.5mm)

Weight: 8g

Cable: 1.2m
[/FONT]

The impedance is pretty low ,hence these should be really easy to drive and won't need any amping as such .

[BREAK=Packaging and Accessories]

[FONT=&quot]Packaging and Accessories .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The PL-21 and MP-21 both come in the new standard, small Soundmagic boxes similar to the one used for PL-30,PL-50 etc. It's a fairly miniature box with a tiny window on the front which lets you have a look at the design of the earbuds. Inside, the different eartips and accessories are well packed and immobile. The review sample I received didn't come in the retail packaging but I will try and arrange a few snaps of the box from a friend and update the same. I did receive all the accessories and different ear tips with both the IEMs which I've listed below.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The accessories consist of -[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4 silicon ear tips -Small, Medium ,Large ,Xtra Large[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cable winder[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ear guides[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]a soft pouch [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sound Magic seems to have done away with the round hard case which is a part of the more expensive PL-30, and PL-50 .Looks like a part of cost cutting to keep the price lower than the PL-30. Anyways, a soft pleather pouch is a part of the accessories. It's nothing spectacular but decent enough to carry the IEMs and keep them safe. I still found the hard case to be classier and more durable but I guess you get what you pay for ;).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also there are no added foam tips or even the bi-flanges which are most commonly used ,as they provide slightly better isolation and bass.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All in all considering the price ,it's a well thought accessory pack . Would give it a 3.8/5.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
001fg.jpg
[/FONT]

004los.jpg

002ae.jpg

003wai.jpg

[BREAK=Design ,Build & Comfort.]

[FONT=&quot]Design[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As mentioned previously the PL-21 and MP-21 have identical drivers as well as the housing .Design is pretty simple and straightforward. No fancy curves and stuff. If you check out the Soundmagic lineup ,you might notice that the design is pretty similar to the PL-20, though the sound is completely different. The driver housing is made of tough plastic and is divided into two small portions. The front part has a bezelled ring around the earbuds and the rear part has the channel markings in the form of L & R. The nozzle which holds the ear tips is of the same diameter as the PL-50,hence the ear tips are interchangeable. Also the nozzle is bent at an angle for a more comfortable fit as well as better acoustics.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The earplugs can be worn straight down (traditional way ) as well as over the ears using the provided ear guides or even without them .So the users have the freedom to choose what suits them best.[/FONT]

100fl.jpg

009rv.jpg

008tlf.jpg

007ygy.jpg

006yer.jpg

005prr.jpg

133is.jpg

122gm.jpg

111rei.jpg

101vr.jpg

[FONT=&quot]The mic on MP-21.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is an added microphone section on the MP-21 which is placed halfway down the upper split cable of left channel. The mic section is so thin that it might not even be noticeable at first glance .It has a single button for attending calls as well as music control on the iPhone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I won't be doing any extensive testing for the mic but would like to mention that it works perfectly and has a good range of reception; nothing spectacular but just like your normal mic on the iPhone or stock earplugs of any decent phone. Also the single button on the mic performs all the call functions as well as ipod of the iphone .

-for eg.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]> press once to pause track and press twice to skip to next track.[/FONT]

micwb.jpg

mic2.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Build Quality [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The build quality of Sound Magic has improved by leaps and bounds with the latest models and this is seen in the PL-21 as well as the PL50 which I will soon review. Compared to the PL-30 the construction of the PL-21 is a lot more sturdier and solid .It gives you a feel of a more upscale product and makes you feel confident about the life of the earphones. The quality of plastic is on par ,infact slightly better than most earphones of this price range and should be able to withstand a little bit of beating .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] The cable is medium, soft and pliable and proper rubber strain relief is provided at every sensitive place of the cable which is prone to damage-the cable entrance near the earplugs, the splitting of the channels and near the L-shaped 3.5mm connector. Overall the cable seems durable in the long-run.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’ve been using the MP-21 for well over 2 months ,especially with the iphone as the added mic prevents me from removing the phone from my pocket to attend calls during my commute in local trains. Google for mumbai locals and you would know what a mad rush it is .The fact that the MP-21 has been able to withstand all the abusing and pulling during my commute assures that the cable is indeed well built.[/FONT]

clipbn.jpg

352ej.jpg

76510465.jpg

[FONT=&quot]

Comfort and Isolation :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Isolation is decent, nothing great. Without the music playing, a good amount of surrounding noise is audible but once you press the play button the noise gets passively attenuated. The isolation of the PL-30 is slightly better but it could also largely depend on an individual’s ears, choosing the right tips for best fit and seal.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Comfort is again quite subjective. I find the PL-21s to be pretty comfortable wearing them straight down. I can use them for about 1-2 hours straight without any sore ears. Over the ears didn't work out well for me though that's the method I preferred with the PL-30s and few of my other IEMs as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also I found the foam tips(not supplied) to provide maximum comfort with the PL-21s .. It affects the sound as well, but more on that later.Just thought of mentioning it for folks who already have another sound magic IEM which comes with foam tips or even the generic cheap foam tips should usually work.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summing up the aesthetics,build ,comfort and isolation of the PL-21/MP-21 , I would rate it as 3.9/5. Build quality deserves a special mention as I find it to be the best for the price range and would rate it 4.5/5.[/FONT]

[BREAK=Sound Quality]

[FONT=&quot]Sound Quality .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before testing the earphones I gave them a straight 50-70 hrs burn-in .To get a fair idea of the sound signature and avoid any added coloration by the source ,the IEMs were tested using different portable as well as desktop sources.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Test Setup used :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Portable : Sansa Clip+ and Iphone 2G [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Desktop : Xonar DX / HiFiMan EF2A DAC + amp (with Mullard CV4010 tubes)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*Also the PL-21/MP-21 are easily powered so no amp was used during testing .A cheap budget amp wouldn't make much difference to the sound quality but a better sounding source will.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As usual I inserted my test disc consisting of some classic Trance/Electronica tracks ,a few hip-hop ,rock numbers and some classical /Bollywood music by A.R.Rahman. A new addition to my test tracks are the FLACs from Enigma-Platinum collection and some New Age music by Enya.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] So how does it sound ? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Every IEM has that first impression when you put them in your ears. Sometimes you love the sound , sometimes you hate it due to the sibilance ,bright treble etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When I tried the PL-21 for the first time, I was blown away! I knew I had a winner in my hand .It didn’t sound anything like a 20$ IEM. It immediately reminded me of the SoundMagic PL-30 because the sound signature is so very similar .The same lush , smooth midrange with a well extended treble and a soundstage unbeatable for this price. The only thing that gets better here is the solid amount of bass.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here are the detailed observations on the sound notes :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bass : [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The bass is solid and heavy and extends quite low.(Not as low as my RE-252,but they are in a different league altogether so comparing them wouldn't be a good idea.) Unlike PL-30 which lacked bass quantity , the PL-21 has plenty of bass, probably enough to satisfy an average user and maybe even a basshead. Comparing it to my previously reviewed/auditioned entry level IEMs , the bass is better than a PL-30,EP-630,Beta Brainwavz and pretty close to the Hippo Boom which had an insane bass. The bass is well controlled so it doesn't quite overpower the midrange and complete sound spectrum is clearly audible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*note-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bass varies with different tips and fit. I found the bass to be very low with the deep insertion of the tips. The bass gets heavy and punchy when I pulled out the earplugs till the point that its major portion was outside my ears and only the eartips part was inserted .Also the bass gets a little more controlled and punchy with the foam tips

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Midrange :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Similar to the PL-30, it’s the midrange which steals the show. The PL-21s produce a really smooth ,lush midrange which is slightly more upfront compared to the PL-30.Especially the lower midrange frequencies are faintly more prominent. The guitar strings ,electronic key notes of electonica music and other instruments sound completely blissful. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Again depending on the fit , the midrange varies. With deep insertion it is crystal clear and detailed but with a low punchy bass-similar to the PL-30s.With just the ear tips inserted to the point it seals your ear perfectly - the midrange takes a slight hit at the cost of more bass. Not really noticeable if you need that boom, but just thought I would mention it because in this case the midrange sounds nothing like that of the PL-30.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Highs:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The treble is decent with a hint of spark .Its not very highly detailed as well and doesn't quite extend till the end of the spectrum. I could notice the treble roll-off around 14-15 Khz. I think this is one position where the PL-30s are marginally better.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soundstage :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soundstage is great for the price. Not too wide or deep but has good imaging on a 2D plane .Its a lot better than what other IEMs in this price range have to offer. Its quite similar to the PL-30 but sounds a bit more closed, maybe due to the design or extended bass.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overall the PL-21 /MP-21 have a sound which is unbeatable for their current price. Its like you get a Soundmagic PL30 with more heavy bass for 5$ /200 bucks lesser. It mainly depends on the sound tastes as well . The PL-30 still remain as one of the most appreciated IEMs as they have a more balanced sound while the PL-21 adds a little more fun to the PL-30s.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would award them a 4.5/5 for the amazing blissful sound they produce.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] (* The sound rating is weighed, in comparison to the sound of other IEMs in the particular price range only. It is not to be compared with my other IEM reviews of different segment because a midrange IEM rated 4/5 would actually sound better than a 4.5/5 of an entry level IEM. In short the rating is mainly based on sound to price ratio and given just to give a fair idea of their value).[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It's best if you make sure the sound signature suits your taste instead of comparing it with other models.[/FONT]

[BREAK=Conclusion]

[FONT=&quot]Conclusion :[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soundmagic has done it again .They have successfully produced another budget champ which in my opinion is capable of outdoing any other IEM in this price range. For just about 20$ the PL-21s and especially the MP-21 with a mic are complete steal deals. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pros: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]+ amazing midrange [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]+ solid bass[/FONT]

+ [FONT=&quot]excellent build quality[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]+[/FONT][FONT=&quot] superb value for money - unbeatable for the price [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cons :[/FONT]

-[FONT=&quot]slight treble roll -off[/FONT]

-[FONT=&quot]fit/comfort could be better[/FONT]

-[FONT=&quot]lack of hard case/ additional tips .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now I know , soon after the review is published and after most folks finish reading it , they would be still be confused between the PL-21 and the PL-30 because you can see they come pretty close and sound similar.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In this regards I would like to say that the additional ear tips and the hard case makes PL-30 a more “value for money offering†at just 200 bucks more, but as I always say, “choose according to your sonic tastes !â€[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If balanced sound is what you want , it's the PL-30 . If you want a slightly more bassy sound for cheapest possible price,get the PL-21. You won't go wrong with any of them because they really are the best you can get for the price ![/FONT]

* A special thanks to Mediahome a.k.a Anuj for providing me with the review samples of PL-21 and MP-21.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

^ I haven't tried the S4, but from what Ive read the PL-21 cant be compared to the S4. PL-21 are more of entry level stuff where as the S4 is mid-level hi-fi. ;)

^ Hahaha .I don't have an S4 to review and I don't know if Kilpsch India would be interested in sourcing one for me.There are loads of other mid range IEMs reviews coming soon. ;)

Great review mate :hap2: couldnt have come at a better time! as i was just looking for some good midrange earphones to replace my Creative Ep630 which served my well for close to three years now, Weird it may sound but i got exhusted of all the ear tips as i just lost one tip of each of the three set of eartips provided by creative there by making it useless.

I received my PL-21 just today morning tested with my nokia 5230 & transcend PMP and let me tell you i found the experience so awesomely true to your review.

Thanks a lot for such a great review ! was really helpfull for my purchase.

^Thanks a lot mate. Feels great to know that you found the sound similar to that described in the review.Thanks again for the appreciation.Means a lot to me and helps me keep coming up with more reviews ;).

guys this might be a lil bit off the topic but can anyone tellme which one is better soundmagic pl-50 or nuforce ne-6?? as i'm about to get one..

^ Haven't tried the NE6 but from my PL-50 experience I doubt they are better. Atleast soundstage is unbeatable ;).

Wow :O Someone dug up the review after almost 1 year . Anyways getting to your query , when I had the MP-21 and tried it with Samsung phones -the mic didn't work and even the earphones had some issues due to different pin config.

FaH33m said:
Wow :O Someone dug up the review after almost 1 year . Anyways getting to your query , when I had the MP-21 and tried it with Samsung phones -the mic didn't work and even the earphones had some issues due to different pin config.
Didnt want to start a thread for this :) Thanks for the info. I guessed so. The nokia ones(WH-102) didn't work well with it :( Any other options in the similar price range that you are aware of?

P.S: Does the MP21 mic work with Ipod touch 2G?

hey guys , FaH33m i currently hv beta brainwavz pro which i had brought from FaH33m long time back ............. now i want to upgrade to somethng better ............so will this be a better upgrade .........

actually i was quite satisfied with the sound of the brainwavz but just felt that it should hv had some more tight punchy bass........... budget is arnd 1K

thanks in advance..........

The cable is medium, soft and pliable and proper rubber strain relief is provided at every sensitive place of the cable which is prone to damage-the cable entrance near the earplugs, the splitting of the channels and near the L-shaped 3.5mm connector. Overall the cable seems durable in the long-run.

Well, my experience with MP21 says otherwise. I used to keep them in a pouch along with Sansa Clip+ whenever I didn't use them. Now, I can hear from only one channel/earplug. I can notice that the problem is around the connection where splitting of channels occur. It works perfectly in a particular position, which is too hard to find!

So I would suggest to take really good care of your MP21/PL21. Also, do not forcefully fit in Sansa Clip+ in a pouch which was only intended for MP21. Keeping that pouch in your pant pocket for whole day might result in the same situation as mine :(

Cheers!

Just bought these from PrimeABGB at Lamington Road with 1 year warranty for 700ish :D

Mine came with a leather pouch and additional foam tips :D

Absolutely loving these :D

Back