Android Samsung A50 - How do I remove ads from everywhere (as much as I can) ?

raksrules

Elite
My father is using Samsung A50 mobile phone he got in flipkart sale. I didn't check much as all he wanted was bigger screen (previous phone was iPhone 5S but its screen started going bad). My brother bought it for him.
Now I saw the phone today and it is littered with Ads everywhere. Lockscreen itself has changing ad whenever we unlock phone, whenever call comes, there is a ad below it (I even saw bikini model in it, WTF). Then notifications from galaxy store for some ads it is peddling.

Can anyone tell me how I can free this phone of these ads. I have seen people complain about chinese brands to have such ads but wasn't aware that Samsung also is doing the same and I am not used to seeing unsolicited ads on my phone and cannot expect my dad (70+ years) to have technical ability fix this.

Last edited:
My father is using Samsung A50 mobile phone he got in flipkart sale. I didn't check much an all he wanted was bigger screen (previous phone was iPhone 5S but its screen started going bad). My brother bought it for him.
Now I saw the phone today and it is littered with Ads everywhere. Lockscreen itself has changing ad whenever we unlock phone, whenever call comes, there is a ad below it (I even saw bikini model in it, WTF). Then notifications from galaxy store for some ads it is peddling.

Can anyone tell me how I can free this phone of these ads. I have seen people complain about chinese brands to have such ads but wasn't aware that Samsung also is doing the same and I am not used to seeing unsolicited ads on my phone and cannot expect my dad (70+ years) to have technical ability fix this.
Galaxy store is the culprit here. And your dad would have clicked some app thing without knowing.

Head over to youtube. There are quite a few videos explaining the various settings that need to be disabled to remove these ads. I had to follow them once during the initial setup of my wife's Galaxy M30. There are no more annoying ads/popups.

There are many such videos. See a few of them, so that you cover all bases and don't miss out on disabling any setting.

My father is using Samsung A50 mobile phone he got in flipkart sale. I didn't check much as all he wanted was bigger screen (previous phone was iPhone 5S but its screen started going bad). My brother bought it for him.

use DNS66 . Its on xda and github https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66
The lightest , best and battery friendly app
Other options exists but they take more resources or are paid
Enable hosts , dont forget to include browsers which are excluded by default and add nextdns addresses in dns field . https://nextdns.io/
U wont a single add except in youtube and be rocking :)

Seems like it's already infected. there is bloatware I agree but ads ? i've not seen any , my mom's using same A50.
best option at the moment is to factory reset, then disable Bixby and certain bloatware apps and better install some antivirus this time,

Seems like it's already infected. there is bloatware I agree but ads ? i've not seen any , my mom's using same A50.
best option at the moment is to factory reset, then disable Bixby and certain bloatware apps and better install some antivirus this time,
I d agree with that as well
Better would be reset the phone
Delete all content
Start afresh and remove as many bloats are as you can
Watch the youtube videos to stop further intrusion from unremovable apps

Yes let me figure out the resetting part. If we want contacts, SMS and whatsapp backed up, how do we make sure it is safely backed up and then we reset and get at least those 3 things back?

Yes let me figure out the resetting part. If we want contacts, SMS and whatsapp backed up, how do we make sure it is safely backed up and then we reset and get at least those 3 things back?
Backup whatsapp by adding your gmail in WhatsApp settings
Then make a backup of chats
Upon reset use that same gmail.

Contacts and sms are backed up in your gmail that you have used to setup the phone and if you have turned on the google backup option in phone settings.

If not you can do both now before resetting the phone

Backup whatsapp by adding your gmail in WhatsApp settings
Then make a backup of chats
Upon reset use that same gmail.

Contacts and sms are backed up in your gmail that you have used to setup the phone and if you have turned on the google backup option in phone settings.

If not you can do both now before resetting the phone

Thanks. I will do all that. I personally don't use android so need to figure all this out.

yes, google account can be used to easily backup all the essential data including whatsapp backup and contacts list. other email account like outlook can also be used to backup and restore the same upon reset.
manual backup may be required for data like music , videos or photos.

Oh God!!! That's a terrible phone...I bought one from India last year after loosing the 5t in the airport on arrival!!
Out of frustration, I literally destroyed it... WhatsApp has probably created a back up, you have to actively turn back up off during installation.
Texts, I don't know, still use an ancient app to back them up and it still works ( a cheap app bought years ago)

Last edited:
Oh God!!! That's a terrible phone...I bought one from India last year after loosing the 5t in the airport on arrival!!
Out of frustration, I literally destroyed it...

Well, if it was in my hands, I would have not want him to get that and instead get the iPhone SE 2020. But now we are here. The amount of bloatware is really something. May be higher priced samsung may offer better experience.

A50 was not really cheap at launch ( around 20k in 2019!!)
You can actually opt out of the ads etc. during initial set up. Even Note 20 Ultra shows ads if everything is kept at default during installation.
That stupid Samsung app store is the culprit. I don't exactly remember what I did during setting up the Note 10 lite, but it does not show ads...but it's also a terrible phone..slows up significantly within few months with only 5-6 apps installed.
I guess Exynos is the culprit here. Don't think I will be able to use it much longer. But the pen is so damn convenient. Only option is to buy the expensive Note 20..hate to spend so much on a phone. However the Xiaomi is doing really well...rock stable, no ad ( in a debloated MiUi) with some very helpful MiUi features.
Sorry for going off topic again!!

A50 was not really cheap at launch ( around 20k in 2019!!)
You can actually opt out of the ads etc. during initial set up. Even Note 20 Ultra shows ads if everything is kept at default during installation.
That stupid Samsung app store is the culprit. I don't exactly remember what I did during setting up the Note 10 lite, but it does not show ads...but it's also a terrible phone..slows up significantly within few months with only 5-6 apps installed.
I guess Exynos is the culprit here. Don't think I will be able to use it much longer. But the pen is so damn convenient. Only option is to buy the expensive Note 20..hate to spend so much on a phone. However the Xiaomi is doing really well...rock stable, no ad ( in a debloated MiUi) with some very helpful MiUi features.
Sorry for going off topic again!!

Do you think selecting EU (or some country in Europe as you are in EU anyways) helped with the ads situation?

I'm not sure. I set up the A50 in India and only changed the SIM in EU.
With MiUi during set up initially the storekeeper activated the T mobile SIM himself ( to avoid any issues, as it's an Indian phone..not those where you need an Indian SIM first to use)
But that changing wallpaper thing happens in EU too.

Back