Samsung Galaxy ace vs HTC wildfire

angie

Disciple
Jul 14, 2009
I am in search of an android phone with 5MP camera.
The above 2 phones are what I found in MY budget (strictly <15k)
Which one is better?
Is there any phone I missed better than both of them.
PS. I can't wait. I will be buying a phone within 10 days.

Aercy

Patron
Jan 4, 2007
Kolkata
HTC Wildfire S is a better phone but it MIGHT cost around 17k. Also, beware of HTC's poor battery life & speaker sound. It is more evident in the lower range models. So you have to wait for 3-4 weeks after release to know about its local feedback. Also note that Wildfire S's 3.2" Screen projects 256k colours where as Galaxy Ace's 3.5" screen projects 16million colours and as for processor speed Ace has 800MHz vs WS's 600MHz. Both have same resolution screen, Ace has better battery life.

Refer to HTC Wildfire S vs Samsung Galaxy Ace for a comparison.

Spacescreamer

ex-Mod
Jan 23, 2006
aercy said:
Samsung Galaxy Ace any day.... HTC Wildfire is a worthless piece of $#!^ .... Wildfire has very poor screen resolution.
It's disappointing to see that sorta usage of language, but tbh, HTC is not that bad an option for people who just want a piece of h/w which runs Android and gives good photographs when clicked. Screen resolution and gaming takes a hit, I admit that. The 5MP Cam produces good results and very few of htc phones which allows clicking of the pics from a physical key.

Ace is better no doubt but its costlier as well to accomodate the advantages so we are comparing two different phones with a fairly different price points.

If info from noworry holds true.. then it would be wise to see pricing of Wildfire S and purchase a phone after hype settles.

sg3707

Adept
Nov 19, 2009
Just received Samsung ACE for 13.2K from letsbuy. Have to say for the price it is very good.

Screen is good.

Played angry birds and few other games, no stuttering.

There is no lag and any kind of sluggishness when moving from one screen to other.

Music player headset loudness is OK.

camera is Ok.

Con is that it feels very light in hand.

The panel looks and feels cheap plastic.

There is no solid reason to buy Defy at extra 2K except for the screen and build quality.

Sanav3

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Mumbai <--> Pune
sg3707 said:
Just received Samsung ACE for 13.2K from letsbuy. Have to say for the price it is very good.

Screen is good.

There is no lag and any kind of sluggishness when moving from one screen to other.

camera is Ok.

There is no solid reason to buy Defy at extra 2K except for the screen and build quality.
Defy - you missed the better ARM processor that manages to playback Flash content.

Aercy

Patron
Jan 4, 2007
Kolkata
comp@ddict said:
Wildfire is not a good phone.

Ace isn't either.

For 15k, I suggest grab the Defy(1k stretch is well worth it)

Moto Defy is available for 17.5k. Where did you get that price you referred to? The Letsbuy coupon offer is also over!

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
aercy said:
Moto Defy is available for 17.5k. Where did you get that price you referred to? The Letsbuy coupon offer is also over!
I think coupons are working again :) Check the letsbuy thread.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sg3707 said:

Screen is good.
camera is Ok.

You are missing a much better processor of the Defy (Cortex A-8), a slightly better GPU (SGX 530), more RAM(512MB vs 278MB), a high resolution screen (854*480 compared to puny 480*320 of Ace), better video recording and build quality!

angie

Disciple
Jul 14, 2009
Hi, Thanks for all the feedback.

For now, it seems I am ACE vs Defy.

I checked DEFY's phonearena video review which totally rocks.

But its 17k.

What about the Letsbuy reliance coupon?

Does that work for only reliance customers?

Is there a minimum amount above which that will work?

Also what is the last date upto which coupon will work?

abracadabra

Adept
Oct 6, 2009
angie said:

But its 17k.

specs wise i have feeling that Moto Defy has an edge over Sammy Ace!

Moto Defy flaunts itself with a 3.7" screen with a bonus of 480 x 854 pixels, a 2GB internal storage. The rest is almost the same between the two!

Oh the Reliance Coupons are working.

Aercy

Patron
Jan 4, 2007
Kolkata
But rest assured, you should not wait for 2.2 froyo official update cuz it's gonna take time & might also end up buggy like it is for Moto Milestone. Custom Mod is the way to go. Good luck.

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
sg3707 said:

Flash,
a GPU(powervr SGX530) which can play hd games,
an HD screen,
3.7" screen,
CM7 mod,
higher video recording resolution(full screen 854x480 thanks to CM7)

certainly these are worth a lot more than 2k

wolvish

Disciple
Apr 26, 2011
Chennai
angie said:

But its 17k.

Online price of Motorola DEFY is 17,149 rupees. If you apply the reliance coupon for letsbuy, you'll get 2000 rupees discount. So the final deal is for Rs. 15,149. This includes all the Taxes and shipping charges. You can even opt for COD method. :eek:hyeah:

aercy said:

It seems that they are working again and I even found Rs.250 discount for Defy and Milestone in Letsbuy's FB page just for today. Not sure that we can club them together. :huh:
aercy said:
If Moto Defy can be found for close to 16k then it's the best deal!!!!

Indeed :). In retail stores, still the price is around 18 thousand and if you ask them about online purchase they'd say "you'll get old/defective stocks only".. :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

aercy said:
But rest assured, you should not wait for 2.2 froyo official update cuz it's gonna take time & might also end up buggy like it is for Moto Milestone. Custom Mod is the way to go. Good luck.
Defy is my first Android phone and I read a lot about rooting and using Custom ROMs. Can we restore the stock ROM again if we need? Will it affect the warranty?