Samsung Galaxy Note - Discussion Thread

Updated to the Official ICS German rom. Samsung crapware a.k.a Touchwiz has made sure that it looks exactly the same as Gingerbread.

It's not that I hate Touchwiz, but the selection of colors could surely be better. Pure ICS is so super awesome.

This update literally renders the ICS experience to utter rubbish. Just a few enhancements to S-apps and a lot of bloat.

The S-Apps are good, but Samsung should have let the pure ICS color scheme be as it is.

I will switch to one of the custom builds like Stunner or any other Touchwiz based rom which offers a better ICS experience as soon as the devs make the new roms off the stable build.

Edit: On a different Note, Is there any way to get S3 / One X like Camera lag on the Note ? The zero shutter lag clicks ? I might just switch to S3 for that one sole feature. I love clicking snaps, and I hate the fact that everytime I click, the next moment is being captured.

It's been a real disappointment coming from the iPhone 4, I went to the S2 and now the Note, they all have the shutter lag.

I have a year old daughter, 99% of the smiles are missed in that shutter lag, just that one feature will probably push me towards the S3.

Flashed the update LPY and then back to CM9.

Though it's faster than GB and smooth but nothing very special there apart from the new S-note.Modem is not very much optimized and it shows in poor wi-fi signal.

Battery life is also not good.It's draining battery at around 5% per hour at standby with cellular radios and sync on.

Would say it's a good beta but nothing much.

Edit: On a different Note, Is there any way to get S3 / One X like Camera lag on the Note ? The zero shutter lag clicks ? I might just switch to S3 for that one sole feature. I love clicking snaps, and I hate the fact that everytime I click, the next moment is being captured.

It's been a real disappointment coming from the iPhone 4, I went to the S2 and now the Note, they all have the shutter lag.

I have a year old daughter, 99% of the smiles are missed in that shutter lag, just that one feature will probably push me towards the S3.

That's a hardware feature in both the phones.But the shutter lag will be reduced to the minimal in upcoming days but can't be eliminated from the Note.

Am not sure if everyone has read through the warnings about ICS kernels on XDA - though it is quite obvious over there and since almost everyone is getting roms from there, should or would have taken a look. I would advice people not to mess around with ICS for now. Though things have worked fine for us, there is a post in that thread which states there are some whose memory has been corrupted after 20 ~ 30 flashes. And if you're on ICS, do not wipe / reset from CWM. Just stick to whatever you have installed for now

Ok stay the f**** away from the LPY. Seriously. If you are on it, roll back to safe gingerbread using ODIN.
My Note Bricked yesterday trying to to factory reset from the CWM on LPY. LPY and CWM are not playing well together.

Help me guys!
1.Internet doesnt work in browsers but works in play store, sync, mail etc while on packet data but works when on home wifi.
2. Internet doesnt work in play store and other apps but works only in browsers when on college wifi which requires proxy and port which I entered.
These two weird problems are completely ruining the experience on my new phone.

P.S: Dont use matte finish/anti glare screen guard on your Note. Makes the screen look bad and grainy. Out of experience :(

Help me guys!
1.Internet doesnt work in browsers but works in play store, sync, mail etc while on packet data but works when on home wifi.
2. Internet doesnt work in play store and other apps but works only in browsers when on college wifi which requires proxy and port which I entered.
These two weird problems are completely ruining the experience on my new phone.

P.S: Dont use matte finish/anti glare screen guard on your Note. Makes the screen look bad and grainy. Out of experience :(

Have you tried reseting it bro.i had experienced some issues myself,but they got themselves fixed after i did a reset.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok stay the f**** away from the LPY. Seriously. If you are on it, roll back to safe gingerbread using ODIN.
My Note Bricked yesterday trying to to factory reset from the CWM on LPY. LPY and CWM are not playing well together.

Awww... First case of brick here :(

Stay away from it!! Whatever the method - just stay away!

aw bugger i already did it. i'm loving the chrome browser though,freakin ace the thing is.

will revert back to gingerbread now!
You can stay on the LPY update if you want. But just avoid doing any data / factory wipe in CWM recovery. No nandroid backups as well until further notice. As long as you dont do operations in CWM, you will be safe for now.
But there is definite compatibility issues with CWM and this ICS update where it corrupts the NAND memory (System and cache partitions) and it can result in brick.
If you apply official update and just root it, you will be fine. But if you have downloaded one of the repacks / custom roms and installed CFroot with CWM, then be careful even while reverting back and for now stay where you are until the picture becomes clearer.

BTW Samsung service was awesome. Getting my phone back today after motherboard replacement in 1 day flat.

I installed ics stunner a month back and left the flashing scene because I was really happy with the rom. Now people are talking about hard bricks samui.gif

What are the precautions I should take ?

Good god, I was about to get a Note soon. But looking at the stuff involved with ROMs, i sure missed a lot since my HTC days back in 2008-9 when I was in the modding scene.

Having switched to the iphone since, and added to the fact that nowadays I dont even have time to sync my phone with my iTunes, i'm seriously skeptical of moving onto the Note!

Good god, I was about to get a Note soon. But looking at the stuff involved with ROMs, i sure missed a lot since my HTC days back in 2008-9 when I was in the modding scene.

Having switched to the iphone since, and added to the fact that nowadays I dont even have time to sync my phone with my iTunes, i'm seriously skeptical of moving onto the Note!

You can stick to stock roms. They are getting better and better to be honest. Root it if you want. These things are basically risk free.
And being a google phone, you hardly ever have to connect this phone to PC. you can sync everything over the air and take backups locally on phone itself with 1 click.

Anyone jumped onto the CM nightlies?

Honestly the only thing keeping me from flashing CM at the moment is the broken speakerphone and USB OTG.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

aw bugger i already did it. i'm loving the chrome browser though,freakin ace the thing is.

will revert back to gingerbread now!

Same here loved the chrome browser for past month or so till i started noticing huge lag while loading pages and opening and closing of browser....so i went to applications and saw the amount of data saved for chrome and it was around 40MB and app data was 45MB or so...went back to dolphin browser now and its smooth sailing :D

Back