Samsung Galaxy R or the LG Optimus 2x..Confused?!

ekrishhh

Disciple
Hi

I'm also Confused between the two like many others!!

The Samsung Galaxy R has more RAM, Battery, A better UI and comes Stock with GB.

LG Optimus 2X has a better Camera and Video Recorder and HDMI. Also, it has a huge following in the custom ROM Scene.

So, which one should I go for? ..(even though i'm more in favour of Galaxy R) .. need ur valuable suggessions :)

Also, is there a possibility of CM on the R or an ICS update? Also, which is the better performer of the two? (shared from sidaster)
original.png

LG Optimus 2X P990
Price: Rs. 19990 (FlipKart - 18/12/2011)
Processor: 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Size: 4 Inches TFT Capacitive (IPS Screen)
RAM: 512MB
Internal: 6.4 GB
Battery: Li-Ion, 1500 mAh
Weight: 139 g

Camera
Primary Camera: 8 Megapixel
Secondary Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
Flash: LED
Video Recording: 1920 x 1080, 30, 24 fps
HD Recording: HD, Full HD

Android v2.2 (Froyo) OS (upgradable to GB)
Other:
Gorilla Glass
HDMI port
LG Optimus 2X P990: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

original.png

Samsung Galaxy R I9103
Price: Rs. 20999 (FlipKart - 18/12/2011)
Processor: 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Size: 4.19-inch Super Clear LCD
RAM: 1GB
Internal: 8 GB
Battery: Li-Ion, 1650 mAh
Weight: 132 g

Camera
Primary Camera: 5 Megapixel
Secondary Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
Flash: LED
Video Recording: 1280 x 720, 30 fps
HD Recording: HD

Android v2.3 (Gingerbread) OS

other:
Scratch-resistant glass
TouchWiz UI
No HDMI port
Samsung Galaxy R I9103: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

I'm planning to buy any of this in a couple of days!
btw, for Samsung Galaxy R, letsBuy offers some Branded Accessories Kit Worth Rs.1200
Buy Samsung Galaxy R i9103 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
...any idea what all this kit contains??

Thanks in Advance :)

According to me, the LG still beats the Galaxy R on every single aspect, except maybe the battery life.

Samsung has better battery life, better screen, more RAM. And LG's official ROM sucks donkey b%$ :p but yeah dev support is tremendous. However battery life is a big concern, as even after the CM7 ROM the battery life is pretty weak. I am tilting more in favor of Samsung Galaxy R or wait, save up for SGSII (scores on all accounts there). Samsung's policy of releasing a hundred variants for emerging markets sucks, that's where Motorola scores as they sell the exact same phone in US (where most of the dev are based).

Aces170 said:
Samsung has better battery life, better screen, more RAM. And LG's official ROM sucks donkey b%$ :p but yeah dev support is tremendous. However battery life is a big concern, as even after the CM7 ROM the battery life is pretty weak. I am tilting more in favor of Samsung Galaxy R or wait, save up for SGSII (scores on all accounts there). Samsung's policy of releasing a hundred variants for emerging markets sucks, that's where Motorola scores as they sell the exact same phone in US (where most of the dev are based).

Better battery life and more RAM? Agree.

But better screen? I disagree on that. I saw the O2x's screen and found it better than the SGR's. Maybe a matter of personal preference though. Viewing angles were very good on the O2x, while something didnt please me on the SGR's screen. I cannot exactly express what it is, but there is something. And about saving up, you need around 8k more for the SGS2. If you can save that much up in some time, then good. Else, get 1 of these 2 phones now. And about LG's official ROM, you are right. The FroYo ROM was a disaster, but GB is a significant improvement. Better performance, almost fixes(heavily reduces number of) random reboots too, i have heard.

One thing about LG o2x is call quality problems i have been hearing and also other small bugs like random turn offs/reboots on a few pieces...

also there is something about nvidia driver sources not being released

reddead said:
One thing about LG o2x is call quality problems i have been hearing and also other small bugs like random turn offs/reboots on a few pieces...

also there is something about nvidia driver sources not being released

Even Galaxy R has Nvidia Terga 2 whose drivers Nvidia doesnt want to release thereby hampering both the phones Custom Rom development...

Get a galaxy R. . .but beware of one thing. . .it's not as future proof as the 2X , mainly because of its less developer base. . .If you are more into modding like I am 2x is really a better choice with both MIUI,CM7 support.

neophyte2008 said:
Get a galaxy R. . .but beware of one thing. . .it's not as future proof as the 2X , mainly because of its less developer base. . .If you are more into modding like I am 2x is really a better choice with both MIUI,CM7 support.

thats the only thing that is worrying me..the reason is that the phone has only been launched in asia and some european countries...

but i will give some time before coming to any conclusions...maybe a month or two to see where the phone's development stands...

EDIT: everyone is talking about R not having any custom rom or a bad development scene; Give some time, the phone has been in market for just a few months...

Just an update for everyone, LG has officially announced Optimus 2X will receive ICS in Q2 2012. ;)

I'm willing to bet ICS will officially come on Optimus 2X before it will be there on Galaxy R.

As for custom ROM development scene for Galaxy R, yes it may get better since it has just been released. However, it is highly unlikely there will be CM/MIUI releases for it. And seriously, CM/MIUI really is the shit you want on your phone.

Guys, this thread has been extremely useful in my decision making...Thanks everyone for their inputs....After doing much research i feel that Galaxy R is the best phone in the price bracket of 18k - 23k.....

I am used to buying stuff through brick and mortar stores, though the deal which online retailers offer is mouth watering....I have ordered through Flipkart for 21k even though ebay (20k) and sulekha(19k) are offering a better deal....I think flipkart is most trust worthy, also due the Cash on Delivery payment model
<

Thanks once again for your advice
<
)

plus point for galaxy r
  • super clear-LCD(which is nearly as great as Super-amoled)
  • 1 GB ram
  • 4.2 inch screen
  • bluetooth 3.0
  • 1650 mah battery

plus points for optimus 2x
  • 8MP camera
  • full hd recording
  • cm7
  • Gorilla Glass
  • And it has many users so it can,t be neglected in future, what i mean is that it has a great future

Note: both has Nvidia CPU and GPU and for a comparison

http://pdadb.net/ind...3=2779&id4=2990

see the video to see the diff btw galaxy r(S-clear LCD) and S2(S-amoled display)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNRGsVAYsuI&list=FLc4O-M3jfiJX6QG6z4yrfSA&index=12&feature=plpp_video

personally i lean towards galaxy r because

camera:full hd is waste in lg 2x(you know that) and the 5mp picture taken by G-R has more contrast and nice looks then the 8mp but it lacks the extra detail which i can sacrifice

CM7:and some or the other time we will get the CM7 or the CM9

bluetooth:3.0 vs 2.1 i.e. 25 mb/sec vs 2.5mb/sec

performance:read/write speeds from rom and the hardware other then CPU and GPU are better in galaxy r which increase performance (you can see them in the sys info by quadrant)

Neocore:galaxy r gets 56.(5,6,7) fps every time and 59.9 fps by S2 ,and i believe that SAMSUNG had limited the FPS (i read that in some other post's ).........from that time i am bit relieve

SCREEN:super clear LCD is way more better then IPS tech

Only thing missing is Gorilla glass

at lets buy you will get a bluetooth headset free

camera:full hd is waste in lg 2x(you know that) and the 5mp picture taken by G-R has more contrast and nice looks then the 8mp but it lacks the extra detail which i can sacrifice

Full HD is waste? It has a good feature extra and you make that a disadvantage for the phone? I am sure that you have absolutely no clue regarding this, so let me explain. The video quality is quite good actually, though not dedicated camera-level. The O2x's cam simply blows the SGR's cam out of the water in terms of image quality. Tried out both phones' camera.

CM7:and some or the other time we will get the CM7 or the CM9

I doubt that a stable release(with all features like bluetooth, FM Radio working) of CM7 or CM9 will come to this phone even by the end of 2012.

bluetooth:3.0 vs 2.1 i.e. 25 mb/sec vs 2.5mb/sec

Yes, 3.0+HS provides a significant speed boost. Expect at least 5-7 times faster practical speeds on the SGR.

performance:read/write speeds from rom and the hardware other then CPU and GPU are better in galaxy r which increase performance (you can see them in the sys info by quadrant)

Quadrant is not the right benchmark to test phones nowadays. It is too old and can be manipulated easily to get unbelievably high scores. Since the CPU+GPU is same in both phones, performance will be similar.

Neocore:galaxy r gets 56.(5,6,7) fps every time and 59.9 fps by S2 ,and i believe that SAMSUNG had limited the FPS (i read that in some other post's ).........from that time i am bit relieve

Yes you are right. Samsung uses framerate limiting in its phones, including SGS1, SGS2, SGR, Nexus S etc.

The GPU in the SGR is more powerful than what the score indicates.

SCREEN:super clear LCD is way more better then IPS tech

Way more better? Thats rubbish! The super clear LCD is not better than the IPS LCD, in case you have seen them side by side.

Not worser, but not better either.

Back