Android Samsung Galaxy S4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I would shell out 45k for a reused design phone.

I don't think I'd shell out 45k for any phone now unless it had Samsung's cutting edge hardware, HTC's build quality and premium materials, iOSs polished user experience, and Android's open ecosystem all rolled into one. :p

For the moment, I'm content with my old Galaxy S or my One V running Jellybean. I might upgrade to one of the new cheap phones from our local brands just to get some better hardware, but I'm still hoping the big players come out with something truly revolutionary in the future. Maybe Key Lime Pie will shake things up.

But what does the iPhone have to do with anything here? And even if it did, I think Apple gets a bad rap for "re-releasing the same phone every year with a different name" when every iteration actually has improvements to both hardware and software. They may sound insignificant to the most hardcore users, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Even if we're only talking looks, the iPhone 3GS to 4 was just as different as the S2 to S3.
I was just giving an example. Someone said he won't spend 45k on a reused design phone.

But what does the iPhone have to do with anything here?

Lol i too wanted to say the exact same thing. Bringing totally irrelevant stuff in the discussion. :p
And yes before anyone says, iPhone 5S will be no game changer or anything. It will look exactly same as iPhone 5 with minor spec bump that too inside and nothing different outside. Probably everyone knows this. The S cycles are just refreshes.

Why so much cry ?

S3 was also launched at 42K if any remembers. It sells for 27K now and you could have got it somewhere around 32K after a couple of months. I think the price is high but should settle around 35K after a couple of months.

Design wise S4 is almost similar in length compared to Nexus 4.

It's commendable actually that they have squeezed extra screen estate by decreasing useless frame in the phone.

Isn't it wrong to compare two phones that have been launched in different time frames (benchmarks perspective) ? Don't say i am defending apple but i am talking comparing any two phones here.
Like it would be wrong to compare iPhone 5S with S4 too whenever 5S arrives.

Also when talking about benchmarks, won't those benchmark apps use all 8 cores to give results ? So we are comparing a dual core device with a device having 8 cores ?

Btw i am total noob when it comes to benchmarks of phones but i genuinely want to ask what purpose these benchmarks serve ?
Also are there benchmarks for windows phones ? Since i think i never saw one. :confused:

Yes it is wrong to compare two phones launched in different time frames. Because Apple vs Samsung ( android) battle always goes on with time.
This has been followed through from iPhone 4 age. Samsung' s benchmark for S2 were ahead of iPhone 4( A4 chip). Then Apple launched iPhone 4S( A5 ) whose benchmarks crossed android devices. Then again S3 beating 4S. Then again iPhone 5 (A6) beating S3. This has been since years continued.

This benchmarking in simple language is nothing but a test on hardware capabilities of a device like there's a Windows Index in Windows 7 which tests the CPU's integer , float-point calculations , buffers , the ability of CPU to process complex algorithms , also GPU's test for 2D and 3D graphics , the memory speeds.

Some benchmarking tools even calculate the read/write speeds of internal memory like the Antutu which i think is unnecessary when calculating Performance-in depth of a specific phone.

Also i prefer Apple architecture over the Quad cores - Eight cores watevr. Since a dual-core beating a Quad-core is nearly a battle like the AMD quads vs Intel dual. In which Intel is superior in terms of CPU performance. Same case a A6 dual should be compared with a Cortex dual. And whomsoever wins the comparison is the real winner IMO.

But when it comes to end-user , he will choose a quad-core or octa-core over a Dual-core apple since they are priced same. Apple is much way overpriced ! More than 80% , two times priced the value it should actually get.

The article mentions that the S4 used for benchmarking was quad core one. The octa-core might even outperform quad-core S4.

Great...slowly turn this into an iPhone 5 vs GS4 thread...

[Rant]
Benchmarks are the most useless things on android. Just give me a lag free interface and then we can talk about benchmarks. While you are at it improve battery life too. I am more than happy with my Note's battery at the moment, but bring back the old Nokia days. Hammer the phone and you still get past two days without any issues.
[/Rant]

Would be interesting to consider the sales of the s3 when the s4 launches here in india . I feel the demand would still be strong as the consumers would get a powerful device at a lower price point compared to the s4 .
This may harm some serious s4 numbers.

Most of Europe will get a Snapdragon 600 version along with the United States and the UK. Asia and several other countries will receive a Samsung SoC, the Exynos 5 Octa version. There is no information about Latin America yet so check back again if the list is updated.
GT-I**** = Not decided yet.
GT-I9500 = Exynos
GT-I9505 = Snapdragon
GT-I9500 / GT-I9505 = Samsung to bring both versions

Asia / Middle East
GT-I9500 - India

Source : http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/1016/what-market-gets-what-soc-variant-of-galaxy-s-iv.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back