Android Samsung Galaxy S4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why people are even cribbing about stuff ? Pentile matrix ? Whats the trouble with the pentile matrix when the pixel density is so high ? Also I guess the amount of innovation that Samsung puts in its software suite, do not think any other phone manufacturer does.

I am all happy with whatever they've offered. Leaving the wishful thinking aside, the phone is quite capable of trouncing all the others in the same generation.

Why people are even cribbing about stuff ? Pentile matrix ? Whats the trouble with the pentile matrix when the pixel density is so high ?

Pentile suffers from strange color tints on whites.
Hard time rendering shades of gray.
Strange artifacts in low-light conditions.[DOUBLEPOST=1363351127][/DOUBLEPOST]if you have an s3 , Hold your phone closer to your face and look at a solid white area .... with the brightness turned up all the way and you'll really see what I'm talking about.

All of you calling out for more exotic materials, think about what you would give up. The phone would be much heavier, probably 150g, there would be no removable battery and possibly no microSD slot. These two reasons alone are huge selling points for a lot of people. No removable or replaceable back panel. The phone would get cold in the winters and hot under load. It is all about trade-offs and Samsung's choice of plastic makes sense. Likewise, choices by Nokia and HTC also make sense, but they have their share of limitations. The good news is we have the choice. Remember, design is not just about how something looks - it is more so about how it functions.

It does look like a S3S. I don't think any company other than Samsung or Apple can get away with such refreshes. To be fair to Samsung, the internals are vastly superior and everything is new (unlike iPhone 3S or 4S), so it deserves the 4 title.

But if I'm not mistaken, the Xperia Z has all of that and still looks and feels like a premium phone - one that is worth the 40k price tag. It is slightly heavier, but a difference of 16g IMO isn't too much unless you're comparing them side by side. When I held my friend's Z, I didn't really pay attention to the weight at all.

People want better design and build quality because of how it affects the phone's functions, not only for looks. The buttons and volume rockers on my Galaxy S feel terrible after using something from say, HTC. The surprising part is that the build quality and design of their other products are pretty good.

Samsung phones have a lot going for them: Top notch hardware, Rock solid stability for the most part, Durability, and a decent UI. If they fixed their design and build quality, I feel they would blow away the competition. The fact that they seem to have settled on the S3 look and feel is slightly disappointing.

Pathetic build quality? yes that is right. Oh wait, have you ever dropped an iPhone 4S , Nexus 4 and S3 together on floor.
Tell me what happens?

That is right, a cracked body on Nexus 4 and iPhone 4S. Not so on S3. Why? Because it is made of cheap plastic which is very elastic and thus abuse friendly.

This is the most compelling reason I ruled in favor of a Galaxy S3 against iPhone 4S and Nexus 4.

Build quality being considered good is perceptive. Good to look, good to hold. Fine that is correct. S3 and S4 are crap.
Build quality for someone like me, whose phones are handled by hyperactive twin toddlers is ability to withstand abuse.
I have already dropped my S3 4 times within a week, not a scratch. If something happens to plastic, it can be changed and so on so forth.

That said, I think Samsung should stop writing its stupid software for its phones. Stock Android is much much faster and beautiful. Samsung's UI is fugly beyond explanation.

If you need good looking devices, Apple makes everything for you. Unfortunately they have poor build quality once you start abusing them.

Strange artifacts in low-light conditions.[DOUBLEPOST=1363351127][/DOUBLEPOST]if you have an s3 , Hold your phone closer to your face and look at a solid white area .... with the brightness turned up all the way and you'll really see what I'm talking about.
I had the NOTE-1 with the same pentile matrix and I never had such issue.

The main thing with all samsung devices now are that they all look same and monotonic ie. from 12k galaxy s duos to their flagship note 2.
Though screen size differs but all with their trademark center physical button and infamous curvy design with glossy white plastic,
Ideally flagship designs shouldn't be carry forward to low end models or i maybe wrong but i think it shouldn't be

Still they are creating sales number like no other manufacturer does.

Pathetic build quality? yes that is right. Oh wait, have you ever dropped an iPhone 4S , Nexus 4 and S3 together on floor.
Tell me what happens?

That is right, a cracked body on Nexus 4 and iPhone 4S. Not so on S3. Why? Because it is made of cheap plastic which is very elastic and thus abuse friendly.

This is the most compelling reason I ruled in favor of a Galaxy S3 against iPhone 4S and Nexus 4.

Build quality being considered good is perceptive. Good to look, good to hold. Fine that is correct. S3 and S4 are crap.
Build quality for someone like me, whose phones are handled by hyperactive twin toddlers is ability to withstand abuse.
I have already dropped my S3 4 times within a week, not a scratch. If something happens to plastic, it can be changed and so on so forth.

That said, I think Samsung should stop writing its stupid software for its phones. Stock Android is much much faster and beautiful. Samsung's UI is fugly beyond explanation.

If you need good looking devices, Apple makes everything for you. Unfortunately they have poor build quality once you start abusing them.

I hate Apple as much as anyone else, but there are a couple of videos that showed that the iPhone 5 was WAY better than the S3 at drop tests ranging from casual to extreme. As someone else said above, there's no reason for being lazy in the design department when Sony can make much sturdier and better looking phones using the same (or better) materials. Yes, people will still eat it up like they have been doing for the past 3 iterations of the Galaxy S series, but complacency will only take them so far. Sooner or later, they will have to address this issue and make phones which look like the price tag that they come at. This combined with their absolutely horrendous disregard to the GNU GPL when it comes to providing the community with source code for their drivers, makes the S series a complete no-no for someone like me.

Give me an Xperia Z with this display and I'd die (for a year) a happy man. Yes, I like super AMOLED and I'm not ashamed of it. I do not need colour fidelity on a bloody hand held device. I need eye popping colours and deep blacks. For those who keep crying about the 'oversaturated' colours on these displays, most Samsung phones come with an option to tone down the colours to make it look more LCD-esque.

Although I appreciate you doing all these things to find why pentile is sh1t and in a way trying to find faults in the phone, the general public does not care which amounts to most of the consumers. I am pretty sure they don't even know anything called as pentile or whatever it is.

I thought and i would never be a Samsung Fan ! This is what changes me after reading this review : http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s4/35627724
This is serious Good link !

1. 5-inch HD Super AMOLED display with a 1,920x1,080-pixel screen resolution
2. 441 ppi pixel density
3. OCTA core
4. Air Gesture ( :eek: )
5. Retina Scrolling !!
6. 13MP Camera
7. Built-In language translators
8. Pics can contain audio now.
9. Two side Camera recording.
10. Almost 5-6 different type of sensors.
11. KNOX (superb)

A few short points of features which throws my lovely Apple far away :(

1. Scroll the screen with your eyes using eye-tracking software within the GS4.

2. Smart Pause, which halts a video you're watching when your eyes dart away, then resumes when you start paying attention again.

3. Several functional tools carry over from the Galaxy Note 2, including the multiview mode that lets you split the screen to interact with two apps

4. Hover your finger and you can preview a video clip or image from the photo gallery, glance at browser tab thumbnails.

Like this Galaxy Lovers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back