Samsung Galaxy sl I9003 or Sony Ericsson neo v

karty

Disciple
Both Samsung Galaxy sl I9003 and Sony Ericsson neo v are available for 17.5k on Flipkart. Which one should i go for ?

Requirements :

1) Touch screen 3.7 or higher.

2) Good Gps support. Will be installing Mapmyindia Sygic maps and using it while on drives for navigation.

3) Good Battery life.

4) Good browsing experience.

5) Os - android 2.2 or higher.

Camera is not a deciding factor.

I have a Galaxy SL. Its a decent phone. The screen is obviously bigger than Neo V. Battery life is also decent. ~1.5 days. GPS was slightly patchy on 2.2 but on the 2.3.5 ROM, works absolutely fine. I use Mapmyindia Sygic only.

However, Samsung hasn't announced any plan to release ICS for it whereas Sony has. Neo V has a better GPU.

Galaxy SL is available @ 14.8k on sulekha.com:

http://deals.sulekha.com/samsung-galaxy-s-i9003-4gb-for-rs-5898

manu1991 said:
I have a Galaxy SL. Its a decent phone. The screen is obviously bigger than Neo V. Battery life is also decent. ~1.5 days. GPS was slightly patchy on 2.2 but on the 2.3.5 ROM, works absolutely fine. I use Mapmyindia Sygic only.

Is 2.3.5 update available officially ? Would like to know more about the maps. Will PM you after whatever mobile i eventually buy :)

Are there no other phones in this price range apart from these two ?

If its only between these two then i am more inclined towards Galaxy sl because of the larger screen and better battery life.

Any other positives in Neo v to reconsider ?

Are you willing to forego warranty? Because then you can get an LG Optimus G2x/Motorola Atrix from ebay.com. Dual core processors,1080p video recording etc.

forget it. with the dollar this high, they'll cost you ~19k

mpaspc said:
in Neo's Defense i would say it has a better GPU and is More likely to get ICS than the Samsung Galaxy Sl .
The latter got Official Gingerbread only 2 days ago , atleast in INDIA .

Does better GPU mean better only for gaming ? or does it have other benefits as well ?
manu1991 said:
Are you willing to forego warranty? Because then you can get an LG Optimus G2x/Motorola Atrix from ebay.com. Dual core processors,1080p video recording etc.

No, i would need warranty. Its my first foray into an android smartphone so i would like to play safe :)

Is xperia x10 (4") with 2.3 still available ?

karty said:
Does better GPU mean better only for gaming ? or does it have other benefits as well ?
No, i would need warranty. Its my first foray into an android smartphone so i would like to play safe :)

also Better GPU means Better Gaming performance , fluent menu animations and better HD playback

yes , i saw it at a chroma store at 17k or 19k

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

also keep in mind that after Gingerbread update the Galaxy i9003 does not has a good loud speaker . After Gingerbread update the volume increases but the quality

X10 comes with 2.1 OOB. But you can easily update it using SEUS. Anyway the 2.3 on SE X10 is quite slow,The screen is slow to respond to touch and battery life is quite dismal. So not really recommended

aka911 said:
X10 comes with 2.1 OOB. But you can easily update it using SEUS. Anyway the 2.3 on SE X10 is quite slow,The screen is slow to respond to touch and battery life is quite dismal. So not really recommended
Thanks a lot for pointing out. Will keep it out of contention.

Considering that Galaxy sl was initially made with Froyo, after update with 2.3.5 will it also face with similar or other issues ?

karty said:
Thanks a lot for pointing out. Will keep it out of contention.

Considering that Galaxy sl was initially made with Froyo, after update with 2.3.5 will it also face with similar or other issues ?

Galaxy SL had quite a smooth UI even with froyo. So I would expect things to get even better with GB,although I have not personally experienced GB on SL.

Yes it works absolutely fine with Gingerbread. Have been using GB since a month now. Also, I don't know what mpaspc meant by the loudspeaker becoming worse, for me its exactly the same.

Understand that the gpu of galaxy sl, (sgx230), although lower specced than tthat of neov(adreno 205), is in no way weak, and is much more than enough for most games. dont even worry about menu animations and other stuff.
in defense of galaxy sl, id like to state a few points:
1. bigger and better screen
2. better battery
3. More active community support
3. Cheaper
4. Gorilla glass!

karty said:
Both Samsung Galaxy sl I9003 and Sony Ericsson neo v are available for 17.5k on Flipkart. Which one should i go for ?

Requirements :

1) Touch screen 3.7 or higher.

2) Good Gps support. Will be installing Mapmyindia Sygic maps and using it while on drives for navigation.

3) Good Battery life.

4) Good browsing experience.

5) Os - android 2.2 or higher.

Camera is not a deciding factor.

If you are looking for big screen with slim design and better battery go for SL or if you're looking for higher screen resolution then Neo V is the one for you. Personally I would go for SL since I don't like Neo V's looks.

Back