CPU/Mobo Sandy Bridge temps too high

Infected said:
I beg to differ, if it is seated properly you will have no issues at stock at all...I have been able to bench at 5Ghz with STOCK HSF!!! Just make sure it is seated properly and all the 4 pins are in properly. I think it is just not seated right. Check the back of the Mobo if you can if all the 4 mounting pins are perfectly inserted and clipped...you will hear a clicking sound while rotating the top of the 4 mounting struts.

No matter how well/properly you fit the HSF the i5 750 would go above 72c (safe max temp) if you would run x264 benchmark or prime95... And you are comparing an old generation 45nm processor with a new architecture 32nm processor so its pretty obvious that the 32nm new architecture would run cooler at higher frequency... FYI old generation 45nm Nehalem/ Lynnfield processor do get very hot on full load... If you dont believe me then you can check this benchmark...

Intel Core i5-750 and Core i7-870 Processors - Temperature Testing - Legit Reviews

xtremegforce said:
Just forgot to mention one more thing, when I touch the heat-sink when cpu reaches temps greater than 70C, I actually don't feel the heat sink heating up that much.

Thanks a lot

That nails it for me..

You definitely have bad contact buddy .. Infected nailed it... twist those mounting struts like the arrow says.

report back :)

cheers and kind regards :)

op your idle is fine & regarding the high load temp try applying a different TIM other than the stock intel one. Try to spread the TIM in a thin layer as evenly as possible. Re-seat the stock intel HSF by applying equal pressure on all four push pins.
The bios shows higher temp coz the power saving features like EIST etc etc dont kick in until windows loads up.

Infected

Re: Sandy Bridge temps too high
Sir have you even rotated the pins to lock 'em... look at the mid picture.... None of them are even locked...
Is this the first time you installing a HSF???
Dude none of them are locked ...press 'em in and rotate as per arrows....

Forgive me for my ignorance Infected, I have upgraded my system after 7years so no experience with these kinds of sockets.As per your suggestions I removed the HSF and reinstalled it. All the pins clicked in and are locked. The HSF has no budge. Still can't run prime95 and Cinebench without going to 90C and yes it did not go to 95C this time.
[attachment=8661:15154.attach]
I have attached another pic after re-installing the HSF.
currently the arrows are moving away from the HSF and if I try to pull out the pins they don't come out. However, if I rotate them with the arrows pointing inwards the pins pull out. Please let me know where I am going wrong:huh:.

Also do you guys think that something might be touching the mobo after I have installed in the cabinet which is causing the temp to rise?

toolius
That nails it for me..
You definitely have bad contact buddy .. Infected nailed it... twist those mounting struts like the arrow says.
report back
cheers and kind regards

I totally agree with you my friend, but please let me know how to fix this bad contact.After reinstalling the heat-sink I tried running Prime95 the Realtemp shows temp on all cores 75C reaching 95C in no time but when I touch the HSF it starts heating up real slow and when the CPU reaches 95C it feels as if the heat-sink is at around 50-55C maybe 60C.

Attachments

• cpuPic.jpg
    cpuPic.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 85
How i solved the issue you are having is I took out the board and pushed the pins in and locked them. I look under the board to see if the locking mechanism has worked as intended. This was the only gaurenteed method for me because as you say sometimes it feels like its sitting ok but really it isnt.

Once you take the board out and look under while pushing the pins and locking them you will understand how the mechanism works and then just tighten and lock the pins diagonally first.

so you have 4 pins

X X

CPU

X X

Do it like this

1 3

CPU

4 2

Lock 1 and 2 first and then the other 2. Take out the board and do it to ensure its getting done correctly. I think where you are going wrong is you arent pushing the pin thru and then locking it but really I understand what you are going through and for me to do it right I had to take the board out.

How old is your thermal paste bro ?

Also can you take a picture of the cpu with your heatsink removed ? that way we can get to see your contact patch on the chip :)

cheers and kind regards bro !

Hey guys, sorry to bother you again. I have uploaded a couple of closeup shots of the pushpins and the cpu without the HSF.

[attachment=8666:15159.attach].

The pushpins pics are taken after I have locked them(did hear the clicking sound after pushing the pins).

Thanks

Attachments

• cpuPic_2.jpg
    cpuPic_2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 79
  • pushPin_1.jpg
    pushPin_1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 80
  • pushPin_1a.jpg
    pushPin_1a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 71
MMm...what temperatures you getting now.
Nothing Great, still idling at 40-45C and Prime 95 and Cinebench benchmark takes it at 85-90C. Do you guys think its an issue with the HSF. Should I take the CPU and HSF to intel??

I still think that HSF is not properly seated...

Checkout this Tutorial... This would help you to solve the problem that you are facing

And do not forget to remove and re apply TIM everytime when you would remove and install the heatsink...

Infected

OP: ....really RTFM you can update the bios too maybe its reading it wrong...
I have really RTFM but couldn't find anything on how the pushpins would be in the locked state.

Anyways, just had a word with Intel Support. They suggested that I take the CPU and the mobo to the retailer since it's within 30 days of purchase.

^^ Cool...Sorry I was just being an a$$ :)

How it gets fixed...maybe one or more of the Push pins got damaged I dont know...

Anyway, thanks for being patient :)

Have a nice day...

Infected

^^ Cool...Sorry I was just being an a$$

How it gets fixed...maybe one or more of the Push pins got damaged I dont know...
Anyway, thanks for being patient
Have a nice day...

No hard feelings my friend, I too am kind of really frustrated with this issue. I mean I buy a new pc after 7years and end up getting my hands burned.
Not quite sure about the damaged pushpins, checkout this pic.
[attachment=8684:15181.attach]
Can you see the gap marked with the red circle after the pushpins are locked properly. The issue is when I removed the HSF from the motherboard and tried to lock the pushpins there is no gap. Not quite sure if it's supposed to be like that or maybe it's just my lack of knowledge about this platform.
Anyways thanks a lot to everybody for all the help and suggestions.

Attachments

• pushPin_1b.jpg
    pushPin_1b.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 65
^^ Pics of behind the motherboard are better to see if the black part has come out completly before locking the pins...

but now you taking it to intel so no issues... :)

Back