Graphic Cards Sapphire HD 7870 Crashing after one minute Gameplay

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
I'll tell you the problem, and that is the business motive.

Take for example the statement on this page: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets, and read carefully how Corsair decided to sell a 80Plus Gold unit as 80Plus Silver on their own discretion. That is the ethic of business. Go back a few pages and see how a CM PSU retailing for almost 11k in India fails ripple tests (and yes, I do have PCI peripherals that need that rail). Take some time and look at reviews - Seasonic has the most advanced platform today and none of the others have caught up yet.

What Corsair does is uprate their PSUs more than manufacturers. So they will want a unit that overloads very well, runs nice in hotboxes, and outlasts all kinds of abuse. This is common to all their suppliers, though CWT and Seasonic are their key vendors. Typically CWT platform is a little inferior to Seasonic across the board, even when supplying to the same brand. This is similar to the case of Samsung vs. Toshiba NAND in the Macbooks. Both are governed by the same set of specs, but Toshiba comes out ahead in real performance. You have to know in any race there is only one winner, and that is the case here too. Delta, Seventeam, CWT, Enhance/Sparkle and FSP are still behind the curve on PSU design compared to Seasonic, who seem to be holding all the cards now.

The reason that CM sells crap is because people buy it. The reason that Corsair doesn't is because they want to build a great brand (I assume). You also have to factor in the issue that most Chinese manufacturers have very limited communication skills and a mainstream, English-speaking brand like CM gives a large base of indigenous manufacturers an outlet to the world. Do note that CM is a very old brand, from before the time Amazon, Newegg, eBay and Alibaba made the PC industry what it is. They earned their chops in the world of brick and mortar marketing, though that strength sapped any energy from doing diligence on the product side.

Don't get me wrong, the AX850 is an absolutely fantastic PSU, the Seasonic X-850 basically is a little quieter and slightly more efficient, and that was a little important to me. Also, it cost about 1500 less, which was most important of all.

- - - Updated - - -

They don't exist any-more in the supply chain (get replaced with GX series units) unless you still have one powering your RIG.

That is semantics. The fact is that dollar for dollar no CM PSU is able to meet the specifications or promises made on their labels, the RPP was the only one to have done so. Even the Silent Gold series fails multiple times on various tests. CM has stopped sending PSUs to HWS for review after the constant thrashing they received, look at a few reviews of the GX, the Extreme and the Silent Gold.

- - - Updated - - -

Corsair changed its OEM's from Seasonic some time back and have been under the scanner for the same reason for diluting quality (VS series anyone). .

VS450 is a CWT design, as is the HX850 and the HX1050.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok got that point.

Then who has made my AX 850 :scared14: ?
AX850 is identical internally to the Seasonic X-850 and is manufactured by Seasonic under Corsair's supervision. Itis probably the only instance in the long partnership between Corsair and Seasonic that the latter's example has performed better than the Corsair-branded unit.

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
Then who has made my AX 850 :scared14: ?

Most chances Seasonic.

Edit: Cranky answered it.

That is semantics. The fact is that dollar for dollar no CM PSU is able to meet the specifications or promises made on their labels, the RPP was the only one to have done so. Even the Silent Gold series fails multiple times on various tests. CM has stopped sending PSUs to HWS for review after the constant thrashing they received, look at a few reviews of the GX, the Extreme and the Silent Gold.

Agreed, I have Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W which is being replaced by a Seasonic unit.

Jan 13, 2012
Mumbai , Maharashtra
Don't get me wrong, the AX850 is an absolutely fantastic PSU, the Seasonic X-850 basically is a little quieter and slightly more efficient, and that was a little important to me. Also, it cost about 1500 less, which was most important of all.

Thanks for clearing things out.

Well I knew the X-850 is superior. But the thing about warranty worried me. Also Seasonic provides 5 years officially whereas Corsair 7 years.
Although some people have been able to get the 7 years warranty even in India. I do not know how, may be contacts in Tirupati ?. I really do not know.

Had some paranoia from my first build where my crap PSU took down everything with it in the system including the motherboard, ram, hdd, only processor was ok.
Then I changed PSUs in that build thrice. That time did not know much about the importance of PSU. So in fear spent almost compromised on things in this build and got this PSU. Hope it lasts and works well. Frankly I do not personally believe it will last all 7 years which Corsair claim but just hope if it does go kaput, it does not take out other things with it like in my first build. I guess there has to be some protection mechanism, if not then I ll be surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, I have Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W which is being replaced by a Seasonic unit.

Guess you were looking for TX 650M ?.

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
Guess you were looking for TX 650M ?.

TX550M to be exact, it wasn't showing up anywhere so I lost patience and went for a Seasonic S12II 520W as I don't need anything more than ~550W SMPS and that is the best deal available.

Next buy, graphic card.

Thanks for reminding, @cranky is CWT doing the TX series and TX M series SMPS as well?

Edit: It is CWT, confirmed.
And like big brother, this unit is also 80 Plus Bronze rated, what with being based on the same CWT platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasku

Skilled
Apr 27, 2008
Wow, illuminating thread, I thought my TX750 was one of the most stable and efficient PSUs out there, should I be worried?!

Shaleen

Disciple
Sep 1, 2012
Raipur
I read many coolermaster review @ night... And came to the conclusion that only silent pro M series are good enough but still over priced...
One review even pointed out the fake dual 12v rails which was actually a single rail..
In load test 600w gave max 510w,475w gave 430w, and so on..
Is my PSU not even capable of running 300w gpu and some small specced componets??
Is this all my PSU stuff fault that graphic card got defected?
Because in Sapphiretech forum I was told that certain SKU of sapphire were faulty and my graphic card belongs to one of the faulty SKUs
I will buy seasonic PSU next month so should I refrain from putting my RMA card in with CM PSU?

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
Is my PSU not even capable of running 300w gpu

Given that all of that load is on the 12V rail, the answer is no. Though you may have received a defective card, I strongly advise to not use the Thunder to power your new card in any case. My suggestion would be to add the PSU and card together. Remember the Thunder is one of those fake rating power supplies that cannot be sold in any developed market due to lack of certification and the inability to meet its specifications below 230V. IOW, a crappy product.

I've asked a mod to split off the OT PSU threads since the OP has come back to clarify. Hope that cleans up your thread, and sorry for messing it up. I do know that there have been lots of complaints about Tirupati's RMA and the shorter warranty period on the Seasonic supplies. All I can say is that my one experience with Tirupati was excellent, maybe they have worsened over time - not sure. In any case, as with all others, caveat emptor.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, illuminating thread, I thought my TX750 was one of the most stable and efficient PSUs out there, should I be worried?!

The fan is noisy and it has a little more ripple than I like. That said, I lived with that PSU for four years running a gaming rig. For a month before I sold it it was powering a pair of 6970s in Crossfire, so it wasn't a slacker either.

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
Boy-o-boy ... this thread ought to be an eye-opener for anyone who wishes to build a new-rig. And the lesson learnt is - "Do not scrimp on a PSU".

I am glad I went ahead with Seasonic X760.

Regarding reviews from so many "reputed" sites, etc. My strategy is to read & understand them carefully. I firmly believe that each and every Company sends only their best -"units" to these places - so general faults are hard to detect when testing these units.

Make the buying decision ONLY after cross-checking at various user-forums - for this is where we get real-life-usage experiences.

Terry

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
Okay I am ordering Right now Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

To Everyone Who Has been Giving their Valuable Input in this Thread Will this be able to run my RIG and My GPU which sucks 310w at its full Power

if not Then kindly suggest a PSU Around 4.8 K

MY RIG is in MY SIGnature
cranky & ALPHA17

7870 does not use 300W.

The PCIe slot delivers 75W, a six-pin connector 75W and a 8-pin connector 150W. If your GPU has only one six-pin connector it is under 150W total. There are no single GPUs capable of drawing 300W, not even the 7970s/GTX680s.

I would normally ask that you plump for the X-650 or X-750 (soon to be replaced by 660/760), or the AX750/850. The basic logic is that PSUs last a really long time and will outlast multiple upgrades and changes in hardware. It makes sense to push your budget now like Harry did, and get the absolute best. GPUs and CPUs get outdated but PSUs, monitors never do - at least not the really good ones. My oldest VX450 is over 7 years old, and it runs my server 24x7 for the last year and a half. Never been switched off unless moving house. The Antec EA380 in my HTPC has been with me for 5 years. Both are basically the S12II with OEM updates and modifications. Both have been used and moved around various rigs, at times powering very demanding hardware and have not let up even once. After losing my first four power supplies, I had had enough and now I simply buy only the best PSUs I can ever afford, if required I will compromise in other areas a bit but not here.

For budget purchases the TX V2 series from Corsair, the S12II from Seasonic are good buys. Antec's EA Green and Seasonic ECO offer lower levels of performance (these are 230V products like the Thunder, so watch it) at even cheaper prices. If you *have* to have higher power ratings, the GS700 and 800 from Corsair are worth a look - though even those aren't as stable as the Seasonic-built supplies.

Jasku

Skilled
Apr 27, 2008

No need to worry,You're good with it.

The fan is noisy and it has a little more ripple than I like. That said, I lived with that PSU for four years running a gaming rig. For a month before I sold it it was powering a pair of 6970s in Crossfire, so it wasn't a slacker either.

Thanks guys, I am not overly worried, cause I learned about the importance of a PSU from this forum, and the TX 750(also suggested by members of this forum) was my choice cause I wanted to be future proof, just in case of dual GPU setup (which never happened and dont think will). I am not thrilled either cause I assumed all high end PSUs from Corsair are Seasonic OEMs, the CWT was a slight surprise.

I did get my PSU RMAd late last year (it had served me well, the voltage stability and earthing in our building isnt the best), the new one seems fine and providing enough juice to my rig (with plenty of reserve).

I think we have digressed quit a bit, so OP dont worry, get your card RMAd and you should be good, I know investing in a new product and having to go through RMA is a bummer, but happens! As for you replacing your PSU, if the experts say you should, I would listen.

Thanks cranky Jakob and sire @ALPHA17

Shaleen

Disciple
Sep 1, 2012
Raipur
7870 does not use 300W.

The PCIe slot delivers 75W, a six-pin connector 75W and a 8-pin connector 150W. If your GPU has only one six-pin connector it is under 150W total. There are no single GPUs capable of drawing 300W, not even the 7970s/GTX680s.

I would normally ask that you plump for the X-650 or X-750 (soon to be replaced by 660/760), or the AX750/850. The basic logic is that PSUs last a really long time and will outlast multiple upgrades and changes in hardware. It makes sense to push your budget now like Harry did, and get the absolute best. GPUs and CPUs get outdated but PSUs, monitors never do - at least not the really good ones. My oldest VX450 is over 7 years old, and it runs my server 24x7 for the last year and a half. Never been switched off unless moving house. The Antec EA380 in my HTPC has been with me for 5 years. Both are basically the S12II with OEM updates and modifications. Both have been used and moved around various rigs, at times powering very demanding hardware and have not let up even once. After losing my first four power supplies, I had had enough and now I simply buy only the best PSUs I can ever afford, if required I will compromise in other areas a bit but not here.

For budget purchases the TX V2 series from Corsair, the S12II from Seasonic are good buys. Antec's EA Green and Seasonic ECO offer lower levels of performance (these are 230V products like the Thunder, so watch it) at even cheaper prices. If you *have* to have higher power ratings, the GS700 and 800 from Corsair are worth a look - though even those aren't as stable as the Seasonic-built supplies.

I wrote 300w because of This Power Consumption Chart Given in Anandtech
44655.jpg

AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition & Radeon HD 7850 Review: Rounding Out Southern Islands

And I Am a Student Right now And I have Last 5k In my account... So I Cant spend Anymore that that on PSU

- - - Updated - - -

The Seasonic S12II will be fine. =]
Can you tell me why there is so much of a price difference between these two ?

Theitdepot - Seasonic 620W Power Supply (S12II-620)

and

Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
I wrote 300w because of This Power Consumption Chart Given in Anandtech
View attachment 18244

AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition & Radeon HD 7850 Review: Rounding Out Southern Islands

Can you tell me why there is so much of a price difference between these two ?

Theitdepot - Seasonic 620W Power Supply (S12II-620)

and

Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

Read the label on the chart, total system power consumption.

The price is so different because flipkart adds its own profit margins + delivery charges to the mix whilst the latter is a bona-fide PC retailer who will add shipping charges to the SMPS if you purchase it from them.

Shaleen

Disciple
Sep 1, 2012
Raipur
Read the label on the chart, total system power consumption.

The price is so different because flipkart adds its own profit margins + delivery charges to the mix whilst the latter is a bona-fide PC retailer who will add shipping charges to the SMPS if you purchase it from them.

:p that was very Noobish of me...

That leaves me with only one option Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

Thanks @ALPHA17 & @cranky for your valuable Suggestions!

Repped you!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
Sep 24, 2005
Sorry to bump up an old thread-
And why is outsourcing and re-branding always bad ?. Say for example Corsair AX 850, it is manufactured by Seasonic but is re-branded by Corsair. How does that make it bad ?
OEM doesnt not mean rebranding in this case.
If a manufacturer buys readily available stuff from another manufacturer and sell them with it's own labels, stickers, packaging or any cosmetic changes but zero design/performance change- that's rebranding IIRC.
That also means there is a possibility of that product being available with the original manufacturers name with no difference in performance.
If they have their own inputs to the design and Corsair does claim to provide their own specs/designs for their units to be built by CWT/Seasonic, the latter are just OEM- this is not rebranding AFAIK. And there is a good possibility that product is exclusive to that buyer, the design will not be used for others.

Interestingly, the Cooler Master Extreme Power 600 was NOT a rebranded unit, it was an (Seventeam) OEM too. :p
CM provided their own inputs or tweaked at their end?
They took Seventeam ST-500-BKP.
Tweaked the unit to obtain/show a peak rating of 600W
Took away the passive PFC circuitry- the India sold PCAR model was no PFC.
Replaced the copper heatsinks with Aluminium ones
Replaced the fans with sleeve-bearing fans that failed very soon
It had to blow, IMHO. :(
But hey, it wasn't rebranded. :p

That said, that is one product CM will regret for a long time and hopefully has learned and will churn out great products like the CM Real Power Pro series and CM Stacker TAC-T01 chassis were (and unaffordable for most too then), in the days when buying high-end in India meant Antec True Power and Antec True Power II.[DOUBLEPOST=1363359417][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also the Real Power Pro series died quite some time back. It has been completely phased out in favour of the GX series.
GX came in place of the Extreme Power and Extreme Power Plus series i think.
Real Power Pro made way for Silent Pro series maybe.
What worked great for me with Antec back in the days and now Corsair is that they provided replacement warranty in India, while the others didn't.
Now many others do.
A repaired PSU is a ticking time-bomb (to me for sure), nothing more. :)

bssunilreddy

Skilled
Mar 24, 2007
Anupuram
Hi !
So I Purchased this graphic card Last week
"Sapphire HD 7870 Ghz Edition"

The Display is fine The Computer Boots up just fine
But when i Start Any game ,after one minute Screen flickers and then Vertical lines all over screen and then GPU Crashes with Black or White screen
Then I have to reset the Computer

I have Uploaded a video Showing the crash after one minute in SAINTS ROW Please see
HD 7870 crashing after one minute game play - YouTube

I have Exhausted all my options
I have ,
-Uninstalled and reinstalled latest catalyst drivers {13.1}
-Replugged GPU in socket
-Disabled HDMI audio
-Underclocked
-Increased Idle Clock
Teperature Never goes beyond 70 C

My SKU is 11199-00-41G

Is this possible that I Got a Defected GPU?
Should I Give this For RMA because I have Aditya infotech office In my city

My RIG is

i5-3450
Gigabyte B75-D3H
Corsair XMS3 RAM
WD Barracuda 500GB
Cooler Master Thunder 600Watt

Please Help.. I Am So much Worried After Spending so much for Gaming PC I am not able to play more than one minute of any game! :unsure:

Look's like defective GPU and also please change your PSU to corsair or seasonic to safeguard your other components as well.