FS: Networking Seagate GoFlex NAS - Low Cost 24/7 Downloader - Fully Configured & Ready to Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in line too, though Im a noob with respect to the system. Currently Im using an N13 ASUS router and transmission on a 16 GB Pendrive connected to the router. I do offline download of torrents leaving only the router on overnight. I presume this will be a better system with more storage? Could some expert please enlighten?

^ You should be able to run more number of torrents simultaneously as compared to the Asus N13U, overall definitely a better system IMO.

Im in line too, though Im a noob with respect to the system. Currently Im using an N13 ASUS router and transmission on a 16 GB Pendrive connected to the router. I do offline download of torrents leaving only the router on overnight. I presume this will be a better system with more storage? Could some expert please enlighten?

The main advantage with the GoFlex is :

1. It does not burden the router which is tasked with routing work, with torrents. You can run upto 2/3 torrents, but beyond that, I feel the router becomes slow and hangs, etc
2. It has 2x SATA ports, you can connect a HDD directly, without needing to resort to USB cases (3.5" HDDs using a SMPS with the green black wire trick + Male Female SATA cable)
3. Yyou can make this into a fulltime NAS + HTTP server, etc if you need it. Also, by using a port multiplier, connect upto 6x HDDs

^ You should be able to run more number of torrents simultaneously as compared to the Asus N13U, overall definitely a better system IMO.

The main advantage with the GoFlex is :

1. It does not burden the router which is tasked with routing work, with torrents. You can run upto 2/3 torrents, but beyond that, I feel the router becomes slow and hangs, etc
2. It has 2x SATA ports, you can connect a HDD directly, without needing to resort to USB cases (3.5" HDDs using a SMPS with the green black wire trick + Male Female SATA cable)
3. Yyou can make this into a fulltime NAS + HTTP server, etc if you need it. Also, by using a port multiplier, connect upto 6x HDDs

Through N13 I am currently able to download about 7 to 8 torrents simultaneously(subject to seeders availability obviously). This NAS thingy is not a storage by itself, right? It gives you to ability to CONNECT more storage and takes on some of the router's "torrenting task" leaving it free to route more speed/more traffic, have I understood correcly? Incidentally though I have a 2MB connection which should theoretically give me a realtime download speed of 250 kbps, I actually usually get close to 1MBps speed in transmission if enough seeds available.

Through N13 I am currently able to download about 7 to 8 torrents simultaneously(subject to seeders availability obviously). This NAS thingy is not a storage by itself, right? It gives you to ability to CONNECT more storage and takes on some of the router's "torrenting task" leaving it free to route more speed/more traffic, have I understood correcly? Incidentally though I have a 2MB connection which should theoretically give me a realtime download speed of 250 kbps, I actually usually get close to 1MBps speed in transmission if enough seeds available.

NAS - Network Attached Storage. You can attach more storage, using USB or through the exposed SATA ports, though you would need a SMPS for the 3.5" HDDs. If you wish to use the GoFlex as a HTTP server, that too is possible. It can handle a wide variety of tasks. It depends on which module you install.

As for the number of simultaneous torrents, dunno, I felt that 2/3 were ok + Heavy LAN usage ~ almost 8+MBps

@vivek.krishnan - With the GoFlex Home, you don't need a power supply for 3.5" drive, you can directly attach them.

Only one USB port is available, but you can use a USB hub and connect more hard disks.

Last edited by a moderator:
vivek.krishnan - Lol, please go through the first post, I guess you missed that entirely! :p

Yes, I did! I am in for one! I did not know these were available! :ashamed:

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

@niceguy1430 My apologies, I thought he was referring to the other one, which is GoFlex NET.

You will need to shell additional amount of money to get a hard disk which has to be connected to the system to store the data.
Am not sure if you can connect a pen drive via USB Hub, even if you can its not a good setup as a 160GB+ HDD is > a 8/16GB Pen Drive.

^ Any device which you use for downloads will obviously need a storage device, you can reuse your existing drives for it. You can use a pendrive as well, but a hard disk would be better.

guys for all those looking small and minimal footprint in electricity for downloading this is the best solution . You cannot find anything smaller than this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back